Mercenary guild render, mining base model

When developing 3D aircraft models, there are two opposite objectives to be reached: the maximum similarity to the original aircraft whilst using the minimum number of polygons, parts and texture size. To reach the first objective, there are detailed drawings of aircrafts to use. When there is a lack of detailed drawings, the drawings are produced from sketches and even photos. In this case, the design of the mechanical moving parts of the aircraft is especially difficult, and has to be done by using extrapolations by the designers and 3D artists. This is how the polygonal model of an F/A-18C looks during the 3D design process. This screenshot shows the final F/A-18C as rendered with the game's graphics engine. The complexity of the moving parts is clearly visible. In total, this 3D model has 15,800 polygons and 440 sub shapes. Special efforts are put into the creation of aircraft textures. An aircraft skin has four textures of 1024x1024 size and one 512x512. The total volume of textures is 17 MB. Not only camouflage painting and insignias are put on the textures, but also technical details such as seams, rivets, etc. It can all be seen here in this screenshot.

that backs meh up. and also, i can tell you from personal experience...Lock On has a tendancy to lag out, even on my system...which is one helluva hefty system. and just looking over the campaign deal, the reason why they would opt to do such a rediculously high poly count is because they're focusing on that one aircraft and its mission role exclusively. if you're doing a detailed sime like that, then it is more than possible. if you're doing a sim with multiple craft all running around at the same time, all of which are a 'focal point'...you're not going to be able to do this. as with anything, the project determines poly count. you're not going to use game models for a film, and you're not going to use film models for a game...unless thats the sole focus.

Brad Mick

You're absolutely correct. And LOMAC is a beast to run on any system, no doubt about it. sure looks pretty, though.

I now return you to an on-topic discussion.

Hi it;s Piotr again
I am posting upgrades models -engines ,afterburner , armor plates .As i understand upgrades will be fully 3d not just renders .What about lightmapping are you going to use lightmap textures.This renders are only 2d textures plus lightmap
upgrades1.jpg

Those look great. Models like that could potentially someday be used in the purchase screen. Would be cool to have 3d rotating models there like I remember frmo the old Privateer2 site.

They could also be used on the ships eventually, though hopefully there are LOD meshes. Loading 5 of them onto an Orion (7 if the small engines get them too) would really up the polycount. At least I assume so - how many polys are they?

Do you have your work available anywhere?

Next image refinery .It is very big (polycount around 10 -11k ).There are a lot of round surfaces and holding frames
refinery2.jpg

About my models - soon i will open my website with my art.Upgrade items don't have high polycount from 1000 to 4000

WOW.. you can even see the concourse details in there. The model corresponds quite nicely with the concourse image you get when landed :)

looks neat. I think the team now should aim for PR v2.0 release, which will include all the 3D rendered upgrades (like you showed) and the 3D rendered rooms to give it a high quality ;)

Will contribute to the rooms developing as well ;)

Wow those are some great models.

Personally I prefer the back of the new model, even if it does differ slightly from the original. As long as the models are similar to the originals, what's wrong with elaborating and improving them slightly?

its wrong?

if you're going to do a model, do it 100% (or as close as possible) that's the (or should be) the goal of every modeler working on a WC project.

Brad Mick

BradMick said:
its wrong?

if you're going to do a model, do it 100% (or as close as possible) that's the (or should be) the goal of every modeler working on a WC project.

Brad Mick

100%? huh... it's almost impossible. But what you really have to aim at is a 99% similarity ;)

surely this remake is trying to go above and beyond the orignal and try improve it as much as possible.

So what is wrong witha little creative freedom?

Copying a model exactly is great, but shouldn't you be able to try and make other models that are set in the same vein as the game but completely original.

no. 're-imagining' is someting which shouldn't apply to canon vessels. something i've already learned. do it right, or not at all.

Chill out, Brad.

Dazza - you are of course free to model things however you want. It is up to developers whether they choose to packacge your work with future releases of the the Remake. Some people here obviously feel that this work shoudl be very strictly done. Thankfully, this is an open source project and it is easy for person A to incorporate your work while person B chooses not to.

Back