Mercenary guild render, mining base model

U

Unregistered

Piotr Siemaszko aka Stygius
I have created mining base model -around 5500 polys (i don't think it is too much for static object) and mercenary guild screen .Where should i sent my model and rendered graphic .I would like to know about techical side of modeling for privateer remake.What texture size,format ,format for 3d models ,rendered images size (Should i make animated girl for mercenary guild) and similar..Btw i have registered on the forum but i havn't recieved any activation email (tried for 2 email adresses)

My images
miningbase.jpg

mercernaryguild3.jpg

Hi Piotr,

nice work so far, 5000 polys shouldn't be too much. Please stay as close to the original artwork as possible for your models and textures. Here's an example for the mining base in case you don't know it already :)
ASTEROID.BMP

texture size is 1024x1024 (jpg)
model format *.obj
You can convert obj files to bfxm files that the game can use with privateer/bin/mesher.exe

High Res base art will definitely come someday. You can send it over to hellcat or post it here in 1024x768. If you like feel free to create the animated girl and screen on the left as well we need all the little animations also in the high res version.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can tell you that my poly limit is under or just above 8000 tris. i really try to do no more than 8100 tris max. this way i can add a lot of detail, and really make things look nice.

Brad Mick

It will be hard for me to render high res interiors and animated characters (atleast characters in very high poly env. with high quality light)Problem is that for example mercenary guild renders around 10 -15 minutes with 1024x768 res .For unknown reasons my 3dstudio crashes a lot - i suspect it is windows or my computer problem because it only happens when 3dmax works under heavy load for more then 5 minutes.

oh i think there is enough to do :) The refinery base definately needs to be remodeled and textured as well look here. Also the Kamekh is horrible and the Orion and Demon need a new texture as well, just look around in the "units" directory :)

yeah, i'm efficient :)

32k polys is just....well, i'll be blunt. dumb. i don't care that you use the argument "BUT LOD'S!!!" it's just piss poor, inneficient modeling all around. seriously. I go by what industry pro's use for their games, and so far the highest counts are capped at 10k for HL2, typically the average is 5k, i like 8k. its a very nice blend, and obviously i've acheived some damn nice results with it. not being arrogant, just....fact.

Brad Mick

pretty sure hellcatv was talking about engine limitations and not artistic choice.

The mining base model looks sweet. So does the mercenaries guild render. Textures are all quite nice.

Models are easiest for us to use when they are .obj. Texture size should be a power of two. 1024x1024, 128x256, etc. The preferred texture format is .png, as it is lossless so we can rotate or flip it if needed after converting to VS format without losing fidelity.

An animated girl would be nice for preserving the feel of the original.

BradMick said:
32k polys is just....well, i'll be blunt. dumb. i don't care that you use the argument "BUT LOD'S!!!" it's just piss poor, inneficient modeling all around. seriously.
What's with the venom? It's not like anyone actually suggested using the max number of polys the engine allows.

in 5 years this limit of 8000 polygons will sound like utter madness... we need to build the art now that will be used for the future...
If we simplify everything now we'll regret it in the future

now a LOD with 8000 as medium detail, and one with 500 as low detail is a great idea...but we need to make our art last through a few hardware revs... just make sure everyone with the latest greatest stuff runs fine at med detail

i'm not even going to argue this point. i know what i'm talking about. i read, i study...i make it a point to know, so...on second thought, yeah i am...

the fact is, 8k tris is all you need for a game model. as evidenced by my work, you can pack a helluva lotta deal into a model with 8k tri's if you know what you're doing. these models will last a very long time, up to the point of where computers finally allow you to use movie qaulity models for games. honestly though, it's not needed. even when comps get up to that point, you'll be back to sqaure one where yeah, you can have ships with a bajillion polys, but only have like...4 or 5 of them at a time. talk to any professional game modeler, i actually get yelled at because i choose to use 8k tris. to really prove how damn good you are, take one of these models and do them all at under 5k. that'll really get you noticed out there. there's a point where you have to factor in playability for all parties involved, and this insane desire to get people who don't know what they're doing (you excluded and a few others as well) to model stuff highly inneficently, putting details where they don't belong...and generally bringing playability down. if you can't do it in under 8 to 15k polys, you are doing something horribly wrong as a game modeler.

Brad Mick

Give the guy some slack. So the model isnt as efficient as you might have been bale to do, so what. The guy created some good work, and I'm sure it can still be optimized. In fact, instead of being hyper critical you could maybe give him some pointers on optimizing his work or help with doing it yourself :)

no no, i wasn't critting that guy. i was talking to hellcat.

unregistered dudes work is very good, texture and model wise, both combined together are excellent. i'm no ass to down someone who does exceptionally well done work when its plainly obvious :)

Brad Mick

BradMick said:
I go by what industry pro's use for their games, and so far the highest counts are capped at 10k for HL2, typically the average is 5k, i like 8k.
The Lock On: Modern Air Combat developers are accepting user-created aircraft models with a poly limit of 50,000. The Su-25T model included in the 1.1 addon has 52,000 polygons. source

screenshots

What does this have to do with Privateer? Nothing. But there are definitely models out there with more than 10,000 polys.

notice that air combat sims often have less detailed models than required in space sims :) cus in space you can have all sorts of cool cracks and antennae without it affecting your aero dynamics

Back