Menu feedback time.

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Ok, so with the combined efforts of me, Pierre, Tango, and (what doesn't he take part in? :p) HCl, we can edit menus with reasonable ease now... But I'm not entirely sure which color schemes would end up looking the best, so I need people's input on this. Here's a preview of the esc menu which I'm quite satisfied with, and a preview of the object viewer, which I'm not very happy with.

I'm thinking mostly green and red with a bit of yellow and white here and there... that's what most WC1/2 computer screens seemed to have.

Also, I'm not including a poll with color choices to avoid repeating that "comm video poll" fiasco - this time, let's try not to flame me for not going with whatever the majority thinks will look best. I'm asking for ideas and suggestions... that's a long way from turning my game into our democracy. :p

I guess it really isn't known if one could change the bitmap portions of the menus

Either way I do like it. The color schemes makes it feel less ICIS-ish

Esc menu: I'd probably leave the buttons green, but use white font color for their labels instead.
Object viewer: Not sure here... The "captions" in the ship statistics (classification, length, mass etc.) should be yellow, IMHO. Also, you could try making the yellow button icons white and green buttons yellow. Hard to say without being able to play around with those colors to see the result... :rolleyes:

Nomad Terror said:
I guess it really isn't known if one could change the bitmap portions of the menus
We're looking into it, but even if tomorrow we found out how to do that, there still wouldn't be enough time to make all new graphics for all the menus before Ep 2 comes out... so we're gonna just recolor the old images instead.

Ironduke said:
Object viewer: Not sure here... The "captions" in the ship statistics (classification, length, mass etc.) should be yellow, IMHO. Also, you could try making the yellow button icons white and green buttons yellow.
I was thinking of something along those lines.... Yellow text on the ship stats headers, and either yellow-on-red or white-on-green for the rotate/zoom buttons, instead of yellow-on-green like it is now.

Try steel blue for the screen borders, AFAIK that's what the most of the computer screens in WC1/2 are colored.

Hey, Eder, anyway we can get a Standoff screensaver that's just that white confed logo rotating on a red background? That would kick ass.

That star would probably look pretty lame if I scaled up to full screen. I could come up with a 3d Confed Star of my own and make it rotate, though... but I have no idea how to get that screensaverized.

Screensaverized, I love it. Nothin' makes my day more than seeing the trend continue. Excuse me while I volumize some more files. :)

If someone wants to have as much fun editing the menus palettes as Eder has, I put the small editor app I made for him available on my website.

I think what you're finding wrong with the object viewer screen is the overwhelming amount of green. Certainly, Eder, what you're suggesting with the changes sounds good - perhaps something can be done about colour of the description text?

Back