Memorial Day

???????????(looking out the window as the cat suns itself on the ledge)
Not a cloud in the sky, thermometer says 70 degrees (f), you're plainly nuts.

Whereas Memorial Day is a very serious affair, it really is an American thing.

For everybody in the British Commonwealth (and close to it, not to lean too hard on Wales), there's Novemer 11, which is Armistice Day; and the second Sunday in November, which is Rememberance Sunday.
Germany unsurprisingly is packed with special days to remember something around WWII (although no holidays) - the closest thing to Memorial Day is November 16 (day to remember the vicitms of war and violence), and January 27 (Holocaust Rememberance Day).

On a lighter side, I love GB because of its peculiar national days - you've got the Loud Tie Campaign, National Chip Week (yeah, to celebrate fries, ah, chips), National Salt Awareness Day, and Bug Busting Day among others...

criticalmass said:
On a lighter side, I love GB because of its peculiar national days - you've got the Loud Tie Campaign, National Chip Week (yeah, to celebrate fries, ah, chips), National Salt Awareness Day, and Bug Busting Day among others...
Yeah we do have our fair share of odd days. Unfortunately most of them go unoticed, except the important ones, and they aren't public holidays. We don't even get a day off on our respective patron saint days (St. David in my case). *Sighs* if Henry VIII hadn't introduced protestantism, we'd get a holiday for every saint, just like when Queen Mary I was in power.

criticalmass said:

The US has dozens and dozens of holidays like that too that nobody knows about.

On 14 September 1982 Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 777 lost QM 402 and all hands on board in the sea off the coast of Denmark. The pilots, Marine Captain Willian H. "Sonny" Coke and Captain James B. Huff; crew, Staff Sergeant Gary J. Lester and Sergeant Timothy A. Creighton; Chaplain, Navy Commander Dave R. Morrison.

On 15 May 1984 Marine Observation Squadron One lost aircraft 02 and all hands on board in the desert of Twenty Nine Palms, California. The pilot, Marine Captain David A. Fuzessery; Aerial Observer, First Lieutenant Colburn W. Hinton Jr.

These peacetime deaths are not forgotten. These fine servicemen stood ready to defend this nation and died while training for war. They traded their tomorrows for our freedoms and futures.

I'm back from a road trip. I'm sure everyone missed me.

For memorial day I visited the Lt. Col. Grissom memorial in Indiana -- there was a neat statue of a Titan rocket and a small museum with the Gemini III capsule ("Molly Brown") in it. I'll offload some e-pictures somewhen.

I like the groundhog day movie.
and even though we get a few saint's day holidays in a catholic country, it doesn't happen for ALL of them. because then we'd get like 10 days of work every years :)

Back