Memorial Day

Ptarmigan

Spaceman
What are you doing for Memorial Day? I plan to take it easy. It is suppose to be stormy this weekend. We need rain right now.

My church always has an international convention over memorial day weekend so I will spend most of my time running to and from the airport picking up people coming and going. It's an awesome time. On Monday we always have a picnic where everyone comes out and plays games and eat food (potluck style), also a great time. :)

Wake up, update the CIC, check my email, check Crius.net, play Halo with ace and Blonde, work on some CIC special project, watch some Star Trek, then sleep.

I guess really it should be quadruple pay. But I've never heard of anywhere that pays double. Not even on Christmas.

Ptarmigan said:
What are you doing for Memorial Day? I plan to take it easy. It is suppose to be stormy this weekend. We need rain right now.
Is this memorial day some american thing? Cos we sure don't have it in rainy old blighty. Is it an excuse to eat and drink excessive amounts, and possibly wake up with someone I have never seen before with no memory of the night before?

Happy Camper said:
Is this memorial day some american thing? Cos we sure don't have it in rainy old blighty. Is it an excuse to eat and drink excessive amounts, and possibly wake up with someone I have never seen before with no memory of the night before?

No, it's not that sort of holiday at all. Those holidays are really dumb. You have it backwards. You're supposed to go to the cemetary and stuff on Memorial Day. Memorial Day is the last day of the year you should be drinking and partying.

Good point. Whatever each of us is doing, we should take a moment to remember what it's really all about.

ChrisReid said:
No, it's not that sort of holiday at all. Those holidays are really dumb. You have it backwards. You're supposed to go to the cemetary and stuff on Memorial Day. Memorial Day is the last day of the year you should be drinking and partying.
Nevermind. Maybe I should start celebrating thanksgiving. That looks like a good excuse for a party.

C.Blair said:
Hi!

What is Memorial Day?
That's precicely what I want to know.

Yo C. Blair. I know someone who is german. He's called tim and is really quite cool. Germans rock with their well engineered cars and their enviromentally friendlyness. If I didn't have such an incompetant German Teacher I would live in germany right now this minute.

Happy Camper said:
That's precicely what I want to know.

It's a day in the U.S. set aside to remember the sacrifices of the military personnel who made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty. It is a national holiday, and most businesses give their employees a paid day off. Unfortunately, in recent years it has become an excuse to throw a barbeque and party, which I have been guilty of myself.

Happy Camper said:
Nevermind. Maybe I should start celebrating thanksgiving. That looks like a good excuse for a party.

And an excuse to have some pumpkin pie, but that's another thread.

McGruff said:
It's a day in the U.S. set aside to remember the sacrifices of the military personnel who made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty. It is a national holiday, and most businesses give their employees a paid day off. Unfortunately, in recent years it has become an excuse to throw a barbeque and party, which I have been guilty of myself..
I see, so really it would be rather disrespectful to throw a party on memorial day. Well, thanks for clearing that up for me. We have a few of those days in Britain, except their names escapes me at the moment - probably because they aren't national holidays, but there we go. I think it's important that we remeber all the sacrifices people made for the sake of our freedom.

The corresponding holiday in Canada is Remembrance Day, but it isnt until November 11 (same day as veterans day in the states). The weekend before memorial day is a Long weekend in Canada as well though, but it's Victoria Day - some non descript holiday that I think has something to do with a deceased Queen but I may be wrong. It's pretty much a Party, camping, or party-while-camping weekend.

Back