Max. CPU 4 WC 3/4, Prophecy, Privateer 2

BarFly

Rear Admiral
Hi,
I have heard that this Games have a limit in CPU-Speed.
Where is the upper speed limit for this Games?
And another question: Is it better to use a Intel 166MHz with MMX or a 200MHz without? (Together with a Voodoo 2) and besides Overclocking :), Or can I use my AMD K2 450?
Background: I'm just assembling Computers for my Game Collection.
For the really old Games, like WCI/II, Privateer etc. I just build a 486/66.

A fast computer shouldn't be a problem for any of these games -- it's just WC1 and WC2 that have trouble with modern computers (Privateer 2 does in some cases, but I believe there's a patch available now).

For my WC machine, I use a P3/650.

In fact, only the cutscenes play fast in WC2 - the actual flight sequences play at the right speed, as does SM2.

Yeah, the speed patch for Privateer 2 is not necessary for everyone.. but it is available at HCl's site. Most WC games will run just fine on a very fast computer.

What WC? Every one has a different method (and each method has been described in detail several dozen times if you search the archives :) )

WC is the worst in terms of game speed, I think most people use moslo or some other slowdown utility, or just play the KS version.

SM2 - OK
WC2 - OK
WC3 - OK
WC4 - OK
WCP - OK

Armada - OK
Privateer - OK
P2 - patch

So you see, there really isn't that much of a problem.

"Where do I select this?" No "at". ;)

In WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ look for dxdiag.exe and run it.

Go to the sound tab (I think) and reduce sound acceleration to "None" and try playing WCP again.

Back