Man of Vision: Multiplayer Added to Prophecy (March 5, 2006)

The current limit is 4. HCl plans to make the limit higher than 4 when his netcode gets optimised enough. Implementing teams should be easy, as the original WCP code already includes eight (8) unused multiplayer alignements, and alignements are just a single flag on an object.
I'm also interested: will there be different mission types, like 2 players attacking and 2 players defending a transport or carrier?

I almost had a heart attack when i first read the good news!
I think good ol' Father Jack sums up my feelings with a simple quote..."YES!"

Good stuff HCL and company, this is one more way to show those bigwigs at EA who truely rules the skies ;)

Hail to the god of Wing Commander.:D

Can't really wait till it's out, and what may happen then (COOP? integrating different ships...)

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys :) Yes, currently a 4-player limit exists, but it is an "artificial" limit. It was introduced just to keep the bandwidth usage down, since the current netcode isn't optimized at the moment (using some 2-3kb/s per remote player, upload and download). I expect it to be increased to at least 8 players soon, however.

For the first release (~1 month from now) you'll have deathmatch and team deathmatch modes available. Other game modes are planned and will be made available in the future :)

Mario

Sadly I don't spend the time I once did in the WC community but it is flourishing, and you're a massive part of that HCl, the awesome work you do not only has the obvious intended results but I swear it inspires other members of the community. The work you do is massively appreciated :D

Hi to all!
Just registered here as I see this.It's unbelieveable awesome.
2 Weeks ago I've installed my Prophecy new,to play the Game through,because I didn't got it before.No I have played it trough,the MP Patch is coming.That's the only thing I've always missed in this Game.
Great work you guys are doing,with all the patches.
Go on like this.
Got another great idea after I read this but I think it's to hard to do.
A Co-Op Mode would be great,to play the normal Game Missions and maybe self created Missions or the Missions from Secret-Ops,with human Wing Men over the internet.To have 1 or 3 human Wing Men would be cool.......

Mario, tu és O HOMEM ! Obrigado!

This comunnity keeps on surprising me year after year... but this is huge. Keep up the good work HCl, you sure made a lot of wingnuts happy.

Wow...just wow.

As if HCl wasn't already a god amongst men.

Is there the possability that this could be adapted to allow multiplayer in UE/Standoff?

SabreAce said:
Is there the possability that this could be adapted to allow multiplayer in UE/Standoff?
There should be no technical limitation forbidding it (Standoff and UE basicly uses the same DLL techniques as WCP hi-res/MP), but it'll take some time after the WCP version of the patch's completion. The reason is that HCl had to make numerous EXE hooks and direct memory addressing, but these are made for WCP's EXE... so after the WCP patch is done and debugged, translation of all the EXE adresses have to be ported for SO's EXE. Only then will we be able to begin making multiplayer into Standoff and UE.

But it's important to understand we won't just quickly put MP into Standoff and UE just for the sake of it. We'll take our time design-wise to make MP scenarios worth playing. Remember that everything in WCP was designed with MP in mind (ship stats, etc) while Standoff and UE were not; so unlike what HCl is making for WCP, for Standoff and UE we can't just throw you into a deathmatch without giving it some thought, testing and balancing first. Same goes for more complex scenarios.

Anyway, HCl has already expressed his willigness to let his MP code be used for other fan projects such as UE and Standoff, but the how/when are still to be discussed with him.

Excellent to hear that you're not just going to put it in for the sake of having it. You guys have certainly proven in the past your wisdom and skill when it comes to designing scenarios, and to hear that the same level of dedication will be applied to MP is excellent.

Yeah, it's how Pete said, basically. This integration may not happen for a while, since the patch is constantly being improved (i'm adding new EXE hooks and optimizations all the time). However, when the time comes to port everything to the WCSO EXE, and Standoff balancing issues are worked out, i'll be working closely with the Standoff team in order to help integrate the MP patch with the existing Standoff DLL.

Mario

Yup, I plan to *eventually* use the MP patch in Standoff.

We haven't discussed this much yet, but we can't pass up on something this big. :)

Mario, meus parabéns, o seu tabalho é indispensável para os fans de WC!!! Ainda bem que podemos contar com você!

I'm also pretty impressed that Hades shot Popsicle's Panther while flying a Piranha. He must be pretty good.

I can't wait to play this.

BTW, it is interesting how important are the portuguese speaking fans to the community. Lot's of cool projects.

Edfilho said:
I'm also pretty impressed that Hades shot Popsicle's Panther while flying a Piranha. He must be pretty good.
Hey, I was playing on my wife's junk-of-a-computer with the mouse for the first time in this test ! :p (I've always played with joystick before) But yeah, Hades is pretty good. From the previous matches we played together I'd say he beat me in a ratio of roughly 2:1

I'm teasing you here, right ? :p Looking forward to match up against you soon ! ;)

Edfilho said:

I took the picture from my Piranha. I think both Pete and Hades were in Panthers, and Hades was pretty unbeatable yesterday.

"Kris and HCl are both genius programmers."
No argument there. :)
edit- *dusts off his overpriced joystick* time to practice up. :D

Hades is very, *very* good at Wing Commander Prophecy -- I was amazed at how well he did when I watched him play the regular game... and that was with no sound, no joystick and in the middle of a crowded hot dealers room, sitting awkwardly.

Back