Making the Games: Confederation Fighter (October 15, 2008)

They look like natural evolutions of the (sleeker) WCP/SO designs to me, except for the overly large cockpits (which make them look too small to be WC ships). The ships in the first two images remind me of the Piranha and Panther.

My favorite of the bunch is probably the bottom ship from the second image... except for the huge cockpit.

Looking at the fighters I must stay on the retro side - I've always preferred WC1 and WC2 styling, both for capships and especially for fighters, and this case is no different for me -
these are really good designs - they just to "space-aged" and flimsy looking for me.

They look like natural evolutions of the (sleeker) WCP/SO designs to me, except for the overly large cockpits (which make them look too small to be WC ships). The ships in the first two images remind me of the Piranha and Panther.

My favorite of the bunch is probably the bottom ship from the second image... except for the huge cockpit.

My understanding of this is that all the 'larger cockpits' we see are supposed have two people in them (this is obvious from the notes on some of the sketches) seated in a sort of Apache style cockpit.

that fighter is the exception, although it looks a bit like a B-wing, the way it is drawn there.. its not amongst those above concept sketches though, is it?

or am I just missing it?

Actually, I take back my commentary to a degree -- check out this 'action' shot of the Confederation fighter:

https://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/C_Fighter_1b.jpg

The setting makes all the difference -- it's a lot more of a traditional Wing Commander ship when it's in context (and I love the nose art!).

Setting or no, I think this design (which I like A LOT) is much less Anime and much closer to the WC style than some of the others.. perhaps this was some of Feng's later work (I don't know).. after he had heard some whining from other, more traditional WC team members.. or not.. who knows.. either way.. he is still an awesome artist.. as were all those in the Art Department, IMHO. :)

-Capn

Actually, I take back my commentary to a degree -- check out this 'action' shot of the Confederation fighter:

https://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/C_Fighter_1b.jpg

The setting makes all the difference -- it's a lot more of a traditional Wing Commander ship when it's in context (and I love the nose art!).

That's a great picture. I wouldn't mind having them in a new WC game. :)

Priv 2 had some weird but good looking fighters as well, it's not unseen before in WC. I think the Monolith is still one of my favourite designs in WC.

Also, I think design-wise WC 3 (Confed side) was the worst because it's fighters seemed too boring to me.

My thoughts exactly...but didn't the WCP fighters have rather large Cockpits as well, especially the Piranha.

Back