Making the Game - Part 4 (May 9, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Today we have an important starting point for Wing Commander V/Prophecy: the original set of requirements for the "Wing Commander Editor", which became something called MED. The team realized that if they spent time to create an easy-to-use mission layout tool at the start of the project, then later development would go much more smoothly. Unfortunately, MED was never released to the public - so we can't say whether or not the goals set forth here were accomplished. One interesting thing to note is the inclusion of Playstation functionality - the same tool would have been used for both the PC and (aborted) Playstation version of the game.

wcpwingcommandereditor.gif

Wing Commander Editor Specs
Download (684 kb)

Date: April 18, 1996
Project: Wing Commander Prophecy
Donated By: Jorg Neumann
Pages: 7

--
Original update published on May 9, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
MED = Mission Editor

Written & maintained almost exclusively by the always talented Andy Sommers during the course of WCP & SO.

Cool -- thanks for sticking around to point this stuff out... I'm sure we'll run into lots and lots of places where you know a lot more about what's going on than anyone else.

(I think you're about to be sent to England, too!)

Breif, but there's a few interesting things there. I wonder did the time bar make it into the final version? That sounds like an awfully neat feature.

(I think you're about to be sent to England, too!)

Why? What's going on here?

I meant in our historical narrative -- I think one of the upcoming documents mentions Johnny being sent to work on Darkening.

No chance of the MED showing up on a disk somewhere eh? Bummer.

I like the similarity between the MED and ALLiED though. The timebar is a nice addition, I don't think the ALLiED editor had anything to do with that.

Unfortunately, alot of the advanced features (like the "Time Bar") never made it into MED.

It was (as I remember) very much a static editor.. but it still was WAY better than the way we had to do it on The Darkening.. *cough*(text files)*cough*

As for "MED on a disc"? Um.. you know.. I'm not 100% certain, but I might actually have something like that..

I'll try to look soonish..

-J

Okay, here is what I have..

4 CD's labeled:
WCP MED
WCP DEV Backup
WCP SO MED
WCP Secret Ops Dev Backup

I cant really say exactly whats on the discs, as I haven't looked at them in about 10 years..

also found a CD labeled Bioforge (?2?) "Announcer" Audio..
I know this one has alot of LONG audio files from recording sessions for BF or possibly BF2

-J

Woah -- awesome possibilities with all five CDs.

If you're interested in sharing them, I'd obviously be happy to add them to the collective!

I can set you up with an FTP login if you'd be willing to upload them as ISOs (or whatever works for you - we're going to present all the Origin CDs from Mythic as ISOs.)

Wow Capn, those are some juicy CDs you have there. :) If you decide to share what you have some day, i would definitely love to take a look at it!

Mario

Great. I wonder if the very talented modders here could overcome some limitations with this editor.

Amazing how an update can set something in motion...:)

Captain Johnny is busy doing something exciting, so he's given me permission to post these links:

http://download.wcnews.com/files/other/BIOFORGE_ANNOUNCER.zip (188 MB)
http://download.wcnews.com/files/wcp/WCP_DEV_BACKUP.zip (267 MB)
http://download.wcnews.com/files/so/WCP_SO_DEV_BACKUP.zip (253 MB)

Each one contains an ISO - I tooled around with the WCP_SO_DEV_BACKUP one and it has some *VERY VERY COOL* stuff in the documents folder... and hopefully you editing geniuses (genii?) can find out some way to show us less brillianter folks what MED looks like!

Pete just buzzed me and I'm downloading now, waiting on those download bars is like the night before chirstmas :D

Is this LOAF's "Ships of the WC" document included in the documents for WCSO?

EDIT:

HOLY SHIT! Has anyone read the ALIEN SOCIOLOGY file on the WCSO Disc?!?!!

Back