Making the Game - Part 4 (May 9, 2008)

Just got home and started downloading! :D

Capn, i'd like to thank you for your generosity donating these CDs :) These are truly great developments for our community.

Mario

Actually, what I am doing isn't all that exciting.. actually it is rather boring and is very time-consuming.. and has me (at the moment) stuck in Houston (well.. Alvin)..

But, ya gots ta do what ya gots ta do..

Hope the stuff on the CD's is useful to you guys.. :)

And I *hope* EA Legal doesn't decide to have my head lopped off for it.. you just never know when it comes to those guys.. :D

And I *hope* EA Legal doesn't decide to have my head lopped off for it.. you just never know when it comes to those guys.. :D

I'd be surprised if they didn't, given the contents of some of these CD's. Some of this looks like source file information for some of these programs and applications...and some of it is just a mirth of background information on the game...

whooooho... the WCP one seems to contain the source code of the game :)

Oh no, what if he gets fired ten years ago for this. :)

In all probability, EA doesn't care. It's an eleven year old game - the source code is of historical interest to us and maybe practical interest to a few fans who will further update their oustanding mods with it (if that's even possible). There's no license or anything here, so the Slashdot crowd can't take it to sell Super Prophecy Extreme even if there were any reason to. You can't even download it and compile your own version of Prophecy, since it lacks all the resources. Just... study it.

You can't even download it and compile your own version of Prophecy, since it lacks all the resources. Just... study it.

Yeah, I realized that about 20 minutes into the first disc. It doesn't have everything that we might like, and using some of these things will mean changing the way we've been modding Secret Ops already.

The MED tool is useful for creating things like Series Sector and possibly mission files though, I haven't fiddled with it to much.

I think the most valuable stuff in here is the information it contains about the way the game was formed and created - people much more programming savvy then my might be able to use that to get the Vision engine to turn tricks.

For example - The Multiplayer Menus are apparently on the disc, it might be possible to work those into the WCP Multiplayer Patch.

What a FEAT.!!!!! This is awesome. I've been tinkering around with this thing for the past 14 hours, and this is so much easier to make missions, Of coarse you STILL need WCPascal to edit a couple of variables but this is so much better for placement of fighters and variables that when just clicking can be made instead of writting code.....OMG Johnny!!! You are now the Wing Commander God!! and we should all make a temple, or mosk, or church or whatever you want and we should all pray to the Wing Commander God Capn Johnny!!!! This is so awesome and will help out so much. I'm sure everyone in the WC Community thanks you, as do I. So.... Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You...Thank you....Thank You....Thank You...Thank You....Thank You... Thank 1000 times over

I told Loaf earlier...

One Meeeeeeellion Dollars!

;)

One of the days I will have to re-install Prophecy Gold and try out some of the super-cool looking mods you guys are making!

-J

OH MY....I Can't even describe this....This is so easy on making a mission it's not even funny!!! a few weeks back when I did the new Arena Darket model remake..Lehah had mentioned that I did gangbusters on these models......I don't see any reason why with the information that you supplied that someone couldn't do Gangbusters on missions for Secret Ops or Prophecy... It's just awesome

What do you need to view those VSD's Mace?

Also if anyone wants to chat with me about this my Aim SN is: Strife4983 ...I am so excited about this information and there's so much of it.. it's inconceivable!!! :)

I'm happy to chat about it - I'm 'banditloaf'. You might also stop by #WingNut, where we're always happy to chat WC.

Visio 2003 should open the VSD files.

.vsd is the standard format from microsoft visio. Part of the "richer" MSoffice versions.

I opened them in the 2003 version, and i have no reference to the original editor they used to do the mission briefings in, but it seems to fit perfectly with the universe map from WCP. Also, another map is included (+p3) is that a reference to the/a possible tri system map?

My bet is it was created using the 6.0 or 97 version of visio.

And i read the multiplayer document, it seems to suggest a scenerio where "we" can fly out as a wing and blow cats to kingdom come, and suggests a mission generator function(a-la red alert skirmish?), and mulitplayer campaign modes..

Anyway this guy with his "Colleteral Damage" mod might possibly now be able to create missions and scenarios from scratch.. how cool is that? and we can see how much really was in this "vision" engine :-D

Yea that guy with the Collateral Damage mod goin is a dork!!! His mod is sucking!!! :) hehe (I'm a dork) hehhe

Seriously tho...When I got wind of this information I was stoked!!! and still am stoked!!! This info is awesome!! It breathes so much fact into certain things that we really speculation...It just really makes things so much easier...I have to check on the Visio thing mine doesn't seem to work for these for some reason.

There's also a folder in there with marked "Editors" but non of the exe's seem to work or there to be opened with some other file I'm not sure....

There's also a folder in there with marked "Editors" but non of the exe's seem to work or there to be opened with some other file I'm not sure....

Go into the "Tools" Folder on the WCSO Disc, and then open the 'BIN' folder and then copy the contents into a folder on your harddrive. Then do the same with the 'MED DLLS' files on the root of the CD (make sure you take the MED and the DLL'S from the same disc).

That's how I got MED working anyway.

Here you can view the vsd files with also:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5c-fed1-46cf-bd53-da23635ab2df&displaylang=en

I wonder how much of this multiplayer mission code actually made it to the final release codes... and if it would be possible to recreate the mulitplayer campaign scenerio's....

Did you manage to get it to work? We tried it last night and for whatever reason it didn't seem to want to open the older file versions. It's my understanding that you need the full version to be able to convert it to the newer version first before the viewer will handle it.

Did you manage to get it to work? We tried it last night and for whatever reason it didn't seem to want to open the older file versions. It's my understanding that you need the full version to be able to convert it to the newer version first before the viewer will handle it.

Let me know if you get this to work, I'd like to see the VSD files. I tried the 2003 and the 2002 and the 2007 versions and none of them would open it either.

On an unrelated tangent...

...these discs contain the missions and code for Episode 7. Isn't that breaking a forum rule?

Back