Mac Support?

wcnut

Rear Admiral
I know full well that this would be a long time before this would ever be implemented even if you were considering it, at least well after episode 5 were released. I was just interested in whether or not this would be feasible now that OpenGL is possible. After all wasn't there someone trying to get WC Secret Ops on Linux? I'm particularly interested because though I have Windows at home the computer I use at college is a Mac.

Sorry, but there's simply no such possibility. We cannot adapt the game to a different operating system without the ability to modify and recompile the source code - it's simply not possible to do it by way of DLL hacks.

I've just noticed maj. Karl von Gombrowitz in one of the e-mails on communication terminal. There is a fan of Witold Gombrowicz books among creators? BTW thanks for really impressive game!

EDIT: ehh i've posted in the wrong thread - sorry!

Hehe, I honestly haven't read any of his books, but when writing the fiction, I happened to have one of them around, so the name caught my eye and I decided to use it.

The real tricky part is, can you figure out what does the second part of his surname (the full name is Gombrowitz-Emden) refer to? It's a really obscure reference...

Well, if Boot Camp were an option (ie an Intel Mac) then Darwine would be another possibility.

However, on a PPC Mac you would need something like VirtualPC (or any other x86 emulator) to run say Windows 98 and then Standoff in that, although performance would likely be awful

I guess Emden could be a Darklands reference, technically. :p

(We still need something about how pretty deer running around in forests aren't as fun as ugly five legged insects running around crab houses and mushrooms - not that I would know for certain until God mails me a new video card, with S&H paid for).

Well, if Boot Camp were an option (ie an Intel Mac) then Darwine would be another possibility.

However, on a PPC Mac you would need something like VirtualPC (or any other x86 emulator) to run say Windows 98 and then Standoff in that, although performance would likely be awful

It would be horrendous. If you have a newer Mac you can try running it under Vista. Other than that though, you are SOL.

Hehe, I honestly haven't read any of his books, but when writing the fiction, I happened to have one of them around, so the name caught my eye and I decided to use it.

The real tricky part is, can you figure out what does the second part of his surname (the full name is Gombrowitz-Emden) refer to? It's a really obscure reference...

Hmm, there was this famous WW1 german light cruiser "Emden", commanded by Karl von Müller. Nothing else comes to my mind...

PS I also haven't read any of his books, just some fragments - not my type of literature :)

You're on the right track... but how did Emden get to be a part of someone's name?

Wikipedia can be useful sometimes :) Surviving crew members were allowed to add "-Emden" to their names. This Gombrowitz-Emden must be a descendant of one of them.

Yeah. It's one of the neater WWI stories I came across - somehow, to me, it seems that this was a far greater honour than any medal (though medals they got plenty of, too). Seven hundred years later, people would still know from a person's name that his ancestor took part in one of the most heroic battle cruises of the Great War. I think that's just awesome, and it's something that could only happen under a monarchy.

Yeah. It's one of the neater WWI stories I came across - somehow, to me, it seems that this was a far greater honour than any medal (though medals they got plenty of, too). Seven hundred years later, people would still know from a person's name that his ancestor took part in one of the most heroic battle cruises of the Great War. I think that's just awesome, and it's something that could only happen under a monarchy.

Excuse me, but

Why only under a monarchy?

Excuse me, but

Why only under a monarchy?
Because it's a family honour, as opposed to a personal honour. So, it would contradict the democratic principles of individualism (which requires that people be assessed based exclusively on their own personal merits). In practice, of course, even in a democracy we assess people based on not only what they do but also who they are, because it makes perfect sense to do so - but nonetheless, it's politically incorrect, so a government would never do anything like that.

(and also, in a monarchy, if you tried to change your surname to a noble surname, you probably wouldn't be permitted to - so, having a special surname is meaningful. In a democracy, there are generally no restrictions on what you can change your surname to, so... well, if the rest of the country can already add "Emden" to their names, it's hardly a great honour for you to be given the non-exclusive "right" to do so :) )

Because it's a family honour, as opposed to a personal honour. So, it would contradict the democratic principles of individualism (which requires that people be assessed based exclusively on their own personal merits). In practice, of course, even in a democracy we assess people based on not only what they do but also who they are, because it makes perfect sense to do so - but nonetheless, it's politically incorrect, so a government would never do anything like that.

(and also, in a monarchy, if you tried to change your surname to a noble surname, you probably wouldn't be permitted to - so, having a special surname is meaningful. In a democracy, there are generally no restrictions on what you can change your surname to, so... well, if the rest of the country can already add "Emden" to their names, it's hardly a great honour for you to be given the non-exclusive "right" to do so :) )

Ohh... I get it...

I think it was a great detail, I really liked it. A nice way to make sure something as important to you will be with your family for ever

Back