Lucasfilm Half-Asses Original Trilogy DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeHah said:
For those of you not in the know - they've released the cover art for these new DVD sets. While not perfect by any means, they're certainly better than the awful 2004 DVD covers. Click on the images for larger versions.

WTF?! How is that cover art any better than the 2004 releases? It's pretty much the same damn thing except the characters are arranged slightly different?!

With the exception of the pictures of Darth Vader (I'm sorry - but he looks like he's going to grab a cheeseburger on the cover of ESB), all those images are from various original posters/art from the series.

In a perfect world, they'd've used the old "circus poster" for ANH.

Well, anything is better than the very ugly cover and box set art in the very old tapes. The ones before the remaster. That shit is embarassing. These look gorgeous, in comparison.

LeHah said:
With the exception of the pictures of Darth Vader (I'm sorry - but he looks like he's going to grab a cheeseburger on the cover of ESB), all those images are from various original posters/art from the series.

In a perfect world, they'd've used the old "circus poster" for ANH.

That's... the most beautiful SW poster ever.

LeHah said:
He's force-choking someone, but his wrist should be turned more. There was a poster for Sith with a similar pose, but better done.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that poster. I found the poster art for Episode III to largely be horrible photoshop pictures like that one. Vader looked best when he was an imposing figure, not just posing like a rock star.

I still wish they would have just used the movie posters as the covers for the prequels.

LeHah said:
Yeah, I'm familiar with that poster. I found the poster art for Episode III to largely be horrible photoshop pictures like that one. Vader looked best when he was an imposing figure, not just posing like a rock star.

I agree with that, but EP3 did a great effort to erode any imposing effect Vader has. I wonder how imposing he'll be walking into the Blockade Runner on EP4 if the person in question has wateched the movies in "order".

I remember Vader having a terrific presence back in, I don't know, 1980 or something when I was old enought to remember.

Delance said:
I agree with that, but EP3 did a great effort to erode any imposing effect Vader has.

For once, you and I are in complete agreement.

I wouldn't blame Episode III directly, though - it's really the prequels as a whole, they were bound to fail. No matter what George Lucas wrote, it would never live up to what we had hoped Vader's story to be. On one hand, thats the internet being stupid - but on the other hand, such things need to be written very carefully. Lucas... doesn't seem to be able to do that. He has good ideas but no implementation.

LeHah said:
He has good ideas but no implementation.

Lucas can't make up his mind about anything. Palpatine make a relativist point against Jedi "dogmatic" view of things. So the Sith are relativists. Then Obi-Wan Says that "only a Sith deal in absolutes". Ops, they are anything but relativists, right? Wrong. Obi-Wan claims "Palpatine is evil", and Anakin says Palpatine is not evil from his "point of view". All right, then. Except he changes his mind again by TESB when truth becomes a point of view again.

The result is that there's no underlining message on SW, it's about about how Lucas felt like writing at that particular time. Or maybe the Sith and the Jedi are really the same after all. But the point is, if Lucas feels like making stupid political statement that completely ruins the development of his main character, he does it.

Delance said:
The result is that there's no underlining message on SW, it's about about how Lucas felt like writing at that particular time. Or maybe the Sith and the Jedi are really the same after all. But the point is, if Lucas feels like making stupid political statement that completely ruins the development of his main character, he does it.
Eh, you just plain don't get it. It's not a matter of Lucas making different stupid political statements in each episode - the reason why people keep changing their views in Star Wars is precisely because Lucas doesn't have a political statement to make. At all. It's like the Matrix - the reason it doesn't make sense isn't because it's making some sublimely clever uberbuddhist point that we cannot understand, but simply because it's all just senseless waffle designed to sound really sophisticated.

I don't know about you guys, but I bought SiN Episodes: Emergence for it's outstanding plot and the way that it totally respects the dignity of women and features loads of deep moving scenes that can make you wish you knew the name of every enemy you killed so you could make Return of the Jedi style funeral pyres. Deepest game I've ever played.

In retrospect, this was a pretty useless post. Sorry about that.

Quarto said:
It's like the Matrix - the reason it doesn't make sense isn't because it's making some sublimely clever uberbuddhist point that we cannot understand, but simply because it's all just senseless waffle designed to sound really sophisticated.

You *really* don't get it.

Quarto said:
Eh, you just plain don't get it.

I said about the same thing.

Mav23 said:
So what is the Matrix's message, LeHah?

Matrix have several messages:

1. If deadly machines of doom are about to assult the last human stronghold, you should have a rave party.

2. The best way to destroy a synthetic enemy is to take away sunlight, even tought organic life can't be sustained without it.

3. Humans are the only kind of animal that can be used to produce energy - it wouldn't work with cows. Or they could have the Mootrix (tm) (from pvponline.com)

4. Robots can't build ballons to harverst solar energy from the very, very low layer of dust that clouds the Earth.

Thread seems to have derailed a good bit. My take on Star Wars (referring particularly to the three latest episodes) is that it really is a pretty good story line. If we had just read the books and not had the movies then I think a lot of people would have been alright with the back story to the original movies. I think that the translation of the story to film didn't quite convert as well as perhaps we all would have liked. Particularly the dialogue was downright "grating" in certain portions of the movies (very noticeable in Episode 2). But the story...well the story is pretty solid in my opinion. There are numerous small things that I would nitpick at (i.e. Anakin has no father? WTF? Hmm...let's just steal a page from the Bible, that'll be fun!) but really the back story is pretty good. Anakin, a young nobody, is rescued from a dead end life on tatooine (neat little ironic throwback to the originals) by a pair of passing by Jedis who recognize his potential and train him. Along the way he gradually becomes disillusioned by a wickedly crafty emperor (Personally I thought the actor for Palpatine did a tremendous job) and in a moment of conflict makes a poor decision that ruins him forever. (I guess one of my small nitpicks here would be that Anakin turns to the darkside supposedly to try to save Padme but I'd have rather it have been a simple greed for more power but whatever...just a personal thing). Anyway, my point is the story behind it is pretty decent...the details didn't quite match up. I really miss the presence of a Han Solo type character who kept the dialogue light and chaffy and the blaster scenes. Jedi stuff is neat but let's not forget some of the great gun battles of the originals (just another nitpick). Well there's my .02 and then some.
Sorry for the rant.

Mav23 said:
So what is the Matrix's message, LeHah?

Oh I don't care to try absolving that mess. :)

But Star Wars is really straight-forward pulp nonsense. Lucas didn't put in any deeper meaning than a universally understood story - a trick unto it's own to be sure but certainly not the college-pop, Plato 101 nonsense that the Matrix eventually boiled into. It's like compairing apples and wood primer.

However, this is derailing so lets move on, shall we?

Someone earlier asked me, why I liked the new DVD box art. Here's the side-by-side reference - http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dvdcollage7qd.jpg

You know, one of the last scenes of ROTJ, when Luke says he must save Vader, and Vader says "you already have", that was a nice touch. Not particulary new, but it meant that it was not about just keeping Vader alive, but redemption, and that to die after that was better than to keep living as evil, and all that. Fine, fine. Where is all that on the PT? Nowhere to be found.

Anakin: "I hate you!" (goes up in flames)
Obi-Wan: "You were the chosen one!" (walks away)

That's atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back