Louis Kahn - Exeter Library, USA

Oggy

Rear Admiral
Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of our American Wingnuts can help me at all? I am the works of Louis Kahn (again) as he is one of the most influencial architects upon my own work. There are two buildings that I am particularly interested in, the first is the National Assembly in Dahka, Bangladesh, so you probably can't help me there, but the second is the Exeter Library in Exeter, New Hampshire, USA. I don't know if anyone lives near it, but i'd be interested to hear about how you find the experience of the building and I would extremely grateful for some unique photographs of both the inside and outside of it.
I have seen various ones on the Internet and in my own refernce books, but you just can't get a feel for the building from them and you only see what the photographer wants you to see. I think my chances of visiting it in the near future are going to be petty remote.

If anyone can help, could I ask you to drop me a line here, or send me a PM?
Thanks guys,

Oggy.

I actually used to live in Exeter for a while and one of my friends currently lives on the outside of town. I'm guessing you are talking about the "new" library building (well it's not that new, but it was when I lived there over 20 years ago). But there is an old library there that is quite a sight (so maybe it is that one?)

The new library sits on the banks of the Exeter River right past downtown. The old library is across from the Post Office in downtown.

Which one are you interested in? I have to go up into the area on Monday/Tuesday and I do have a camera which I could use to grab a few shots for you. Can't make any promises, but at some point I could certainly grab them. Exeter is 2 towns away from my hometown up in NH, so I'm nearby every now and then.

Hi Dundral,
Thanks for the rapid response, I'd been struggling with this one for a few late nights, wondering how best to go forwards with this so you offer of help is much appreciated.

it is this one
http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Exeter_Library.html
built in 1967, so I guess it is the "new" one. (I wasn't aware that there was an old one, so you learn something everyday.) From the outside it is a cube shaped building with the corners cut off, brick piers are arrange at regular intervals around it with large glazed screeds between.

I'd be particularly interested to hear of your experience if you have the time to go inside, like I say, the reference photos I have in my source books and the ones I have found on the web
give an overall impression, but its hard to get a true feel for the space. I would imagine that there is an extrodinary sense of lightness as you enter, with natural light cascading into the central space from the roof, so I would love to hear what someone who actually experiences it in person thinks and feels about the building.
As Kahns assembly buildings are essentially inwardly focused, I get the feeling that this space should feel like a world of its own where you are essentially alone with your own thoughts, with little link to outside world.

In terms of photographs, The most common theme I have seen is from the outside looking at the corner of the building, and inside, looking over the balcony into the inner space and shots of the individual study spaces. I would be keen to obtain a true head on elevation shot from the outside, and perhaps a series of photos as you approach the entrance, the view through the main doors from just outside and some shots looking upwards inside the centre area from the ground floor (it is listed as "reading room" on the plans I have). and perhaps a final shot looking directly upwards at the glazed roof.

Once again, thanks for your offer of help Dunderdal, I know I am asking for a lot.
Time scale is not overly crucial at the moment so it could wait until you passing by rather than making a special trip.

Hmm ok that's actually not the Exeter library at all. That's the library for Phillips Exeter Academy, which is down the street from both the old and new town libraries. It is quite the building though, I've driven by it countless times and always found myself looking at it.

I will tell you know that most likely I won't be able to go inside the building. With the changes in school security over the last few years in the US, I doubt they'd let me just walk in and I am a bit old to pretend to be a high school student. Also, it is a private and very elite school, so I imagine they might have some issues, but I'll give it a try. I should at least be able to get exterior photos...I'll let you know.

Thanks Dundradal,

Ah, I didn't realise it was part of a private campus. I can see that will present difficulties. Its a shame that so much excellent architecture is out of bounds, here in the UK too. Having read a lot about Louis Kahn and his philosophies on architecture, I'm sure he'd be gutted to know the public couldn't get to it.

Louis Kahns buildings always inspire me with a feeling of awe, even from the photos. They are all so simple when you look at the 2D drawings, but when you see the photographs, they are really complex in 3D, he was a genius with his understanding and use of light, I don't know why he is so overlooked in favour of the "Big Three", Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier.

Don't worry if you can't get inside, I wouldn't want you get in trouble with the law or anything. I've found a substantial amount of info out already from various books, and I am still finding images from the net.

I hope I can get over to the USA one day to see it in person, I'll have to remember to pack my Architects card, hopefully that might blag me entrance.

Once again, thanks anyway :)

Oggy

I haven't forgotten about this...I just haven't ended up going to Exeter when I thought I was...but next time I do I'll make sure to grab some images.

Back