Lost fighter?

Fruitcake

Spaceman
I was digging through the WC3 script and looking for segments that didn't make it into the game. I found one reference to a Imperator-class fighter (medium-class?). Apparently when you picked this fighter, Rachel was supposed to say: "You'll kick some ass with that, sir!" OR "I'm feeling sorry for the cats already.". Has anyone ever heard from this fighter and is there a reason why it didn't make it into the game?

I never read the novels, so maybe there's some kind of reference to this fighter in them. Please enlighten me, I'd like to know :D

I think it evolved into the Excalibur, I'll have to go back and make sure.

*edit* my bad, it looks to be more along the sides of the Longbow. The Arrow, Hellcat, Thud, and Excal were already mentioned.

Also, a nice throwback to one of the WC1/2 fighter/bomber naming conventions of medieval weapons (blade, bow, etc).
C-ya

And there's nothing like a good hellcat to bludgeon someone to death with. That weapon will never get old.

Fenris Ulven said:
true, hellcat, long live the cat,
i bow and take of my hat

Never understood why they designed these things anyway. The Arrow is actually faster, more maneuverable en had the same guns up front. Kinda beat the purpose to fly in a Hellcat. Unless you liked the slow maneuverability cause it enabled you to actually *hit* anything. :rolleyes:

But the same pilots probably also were fans of the ol' Scimitar aka the Centaurian Mud Pig. :D

Ah, the Centurian mud pig, a classic...if not for but complete lack of tactical ability. For me, I enjoyed it soley because it was the next step up from a Hornet (although maybe not a superior fighter). The mass drivers were nice :) I loved that metallic "Oink" that they made.

Hellcat can fly in the atmosphere, the arrow can't. We don't see to much planet side action in WC but you can be sure that there is plenty of it going on. (surely against the Kilrathi)

No. They would just spontaneously fall out of the sky.

And, the Hellcat was a good ship. It was a rather realistic jack-of-all-trades ship, which is the point of a multi-role fighter such as the hellcat. It might not have been as fast as an Arrow, or as gun-heavy as a Thud, but it would do in a pinch. Also, I think WC3 spoils the player by allowing them to choose what ship they want to fly. I prefer WC games where you're told what ship to fly, and you're just thankful to be cruising the vacuum in something that'll defend itself.

but in the WC3 novel, wasnt Flash from a home defense sqn based on a planet that were flying Thuds? maybe they were flying something else and he got the Thud at Blackmane(which was closing down at the time)

Iceman16 said:
but in the WC3 novel, wasnt Flash from a home defense sqn based on a planet that were flying Thuds? maybe they were flying something else and he got the Thud at Blackmane(which was closing down at the time)

Just because a squadron is 'based' at a planet doesn't neccessarily mean that the 'base' is on the surface. Orbital bases are quite common.

The Fly said:
Hellcat can fly in the atmosphere, the arrow can't. We don't see to much planet side action in WC but you can be sure that there is plenty of it going on. (surely against the Kilrathi)

Didn't the traitor in the first cartoon episode take off from earth in an Arrow?

Fruitcake said:
The Arrow is actually faster, more maneuverable en had the same guns up front. Kinda beat the purpose to fly in a Hellcat.
Hellcat carried Neutrons and Ions, more powerful combination than the Arrows Lasers and Ions.

C-ya

Back