Look, it's a carrier. Sort of.

Eder

Mr. Standoff
It's actually a CVE of the same class as the Tarawa, fully working, in the SO engine! Yay!

Ok, so the sight of this baby didn't impress a certain Lt. Bondarevsky, but I guess that just goes to prove he's a cold hearted son of... ah, let's cut to the pictures, shall we? :D

Oops... turns out there's too many pictures to post in a single, err, post, so here's a link straight to Standoff's (I really should have picked an easier to abbreviate name... :p) screenshots page. The last four shots are the new ones:

http://standoff.wingcenter.de/shots.htm

Feedback's welcome, unless you want me to change something, which can really be a pain at times. ;)

--Eder

Wouldn't you be irritated if I now told you to change the ship's name? :p

It looks great :). I really can't think of any changes to suggest.

<maestro mode/> "Here he is Eder my little boy, making his mama KW so proud" </maestro mode> ;)

You got the capship conversion method very well, great work Eder :)
A great model.

Although i agree with Q, the name doesnt fit it very well

Originally posted by KillerWave
Although i agree with Q, the name doesnt fit it very well
Nonono, I was joking! :) The name does fit the naming scheme, since it was a Marine landing operation (even amphibious :)). Actually, I was the one who suggested it after I was unsatisfied with Eder's previous name, hence the joke ;).

BTW, is there any way to take the compiled iff and change one single texture number?
I was hoping to simply change the "front half deck" texture to add the other CVE which will be in the campaign (CVE-12 - TCS Guadalcanal, by the way, Q :)) and I don't really feel like going though modelC all over again, even if it's only for the main hull mesh.

--Eder

But firekka isnt an alien planet??

You need to open the mesh in modelc, and use cgmat to change the choosen mat, although you will need to recompile the mesh itself...
I dont know if cgmat is in Thomas page, if not, let me know and i will sent it to you.

A real beauty! :)
And BTW: I think it's a good name. I always find it odd that in 600years everyone remembers our "popular" wars and no ones uses some new names.Although the Firekkans might be a bit offended that a CVE bears their name. ;)

You think so? I think that considering the power of their space forces, they should be honored to have their name on anything larger than a Ferret :D

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder
You think so? I think that considering the power of their space forces, they should be honored to have their name on anything larger than a Ferret :D

--Eder
You're right :)

Hey Q and KW, I'm not sure if you guys will be able to help me here, but it's worth a try...

Just where the -bleeep!- are formation positions stored? Somehow, whenever I'm flying the Rapier, my wingmen form up *in front* of me, not behind me, like in the other ships.

--Eder

Hey Q and KW, I'm not sure if you guys will be able to help me here, but it's worth a try...
Hey, I thought I made it clear that I know everything!

...Seriously though, fortunately I happen to know how to solve this problem, too :).

If you look at the ship file, there is a chunk called TYPE, which contains three numbers. The first is the ship's role (important for the AI mostly) - for example, 3 is fighter, 2 is bomber, and IIRC 5 is capship. The second is a reference to a line in ship.iff, for the name and the VDU image. And the third number is...
*drumroll*
...the formation. The number is a reference to a formation inside pilots\frmation.iff. Unfortunately, I have never really looked at it closely, so you'll need to do a bit of testing if you want to figure out your own formations. But it does look fairly simple. The file consists of FRMN forms. Inside these, first there's a TYPE chunk with the formation number, an unknown, and the number of ship positions. Then come all the POSN chunks for the formation (the same number of them as the third number of the TYPE chunk). I would assume each POSN chunk contains nothing more than x,y,z coordinates, though there are six lines instead of three. And judging from the data, it seems the first two lines are Y instead of the usual X.
Well, that about covers what I know :).

As for the texture-changing problem, if you know the number of the poly, you can simply find it inside the IFF file and change the MAT reference. I doubt that will be a workable solution though, given your poly counts ;).

Originally posted by Quarto
If you look at the ship file, there is a chunk called TYPE, which contains three numbers. The first is the ship's role (important for the AI mostly) - for example, 3 is fighter, 2 is bomber, and IIRC 5 is capship. The second is a reference to a line in ship.iff, for the name and the VDU image. And the third number is...
*drumroll*
...the formation. The number is a reference to a formation inside pilots\frmation.iff. Unfortunately, I have never really looked at it closely, so you'll need to do a bit of testing if you want to figure out your own formations. But it does look fairly simple. The file consists of FRMN forms. Inside these, first there's a TYPE chunk with the formation number, an unknown, and the number of ship positions. Then come all the POSN chunks for the formation (the same number of them as the third number of the TYPE chunk). I would assume each POSN chunk contains nothing more than x,y,z coordinates, though there are six lines instead of three. And judging from the data, it seems the first two lines are Y instead of the usual X.

Hmmm. Thanks. I think I'll pass the frmation.iff editing, and just replace the Rapier's current formation number with the Stiletto's, though :D

As for the texture-changing problem, if you know the number of the poly, you can simply find it inside the IFF file and change the MAT reference. I doubt that will be a workable solution though, given your poly counts ;).

Quite right. I did it KW's way, and cgmat reported 216 triangles retextured. Yes, all I did was change the ship's name and number :)

(But hey, the Waterloo and CVE are only around 1600 triangles each, actually!)

--Eder

Hmmm. Thanks. I think I'll pass the frmation.iff editing, and just replace the Rapier's current formation number with the Stiletto's, though
You are gonna leave something as it is? That's very unusual for you... hmm, should I call a doctor? Are you feeling ill? :)

(But hey, the Waterloo and CVE are only around 1600 triangles each, actually!)
I guess the real size of the ship isn't indicative of its triangleness ;).

You are gonna leave something as it is? That's very unusual for you... hmm, should I call a doctor? Are you feeling ill? :)

Nope, just can't take the whole year, Q. ;)

I guess the real size of the ship isn't indicative of its triangleness ;).

Indeed. The tiny, tiny Stiletto has about 1000 tris.

--Eder

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
A real beauty! :)
And BTW: I think it's a good name. I always find it odd that in 600years everyone remembers our "popular" wars and no ones uses some new names.Although the Firekkans might be a bit offended that a CVE bears their name. ;)

Not so -- the 'original' batch of CVEs includes a TCS Enigma and a TCS Khorsan...

Back