Live 8 - G8 Summit

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys forget that most of africa's troubles derive from colonization, which created national boundaries that divided some peoples while putting enemy tribes together. The slave trade that helped the USA start its existance did help too.

Aside from that, several 1st world countries profit from these impoverished african nations, buy trading weapons for oil or diamonds. The poverty in Africa is profitable for developed countries.

On top of that, the debt cancelation is far from being the same thing as LOAF not paying his bills. The past governments of african countries borrowed money from banks in europe and US at extortionary rates and then pocketed the cash, leaving the rest of the country to pay the infinite unpayable interest. They pay and pay and pay and the debt only grows.

So, yes, throwing boxes of food in africa may not help, but it is pretty fucking confortable to make jokes about the starving children in africa and saying that if we help them it will be worse, while letting them all die.

Nevertheless, I agree that going to a concert (or watching it on TV) is useless.

BTW, Bono Vox talks a lot about his african endeavours, and even if it is all a great publicity stunt, he is very well informed about all those dificulties in helping african people, the evil warlords that steal food and cahs and so on. The guy is not stupid or naive. That is an evidence that trying to help Africa is not such a waste of time.

Most of you people have no idea what is like to live in a country with such great problems. I find it sad to see such jaded cynic "well, screw them, ahahah, you hippie fools". If all you care are your asses, fine.

Not that I care about that reaction much. After all, this is just a intahweb forum. It doesn't matter.

On top of that, the debt cancelation is far from being the same thing as LOAF not paying his bills. The past governments of african countries borrowed money from banks in europe and US at extortionary rates and then pocketed the cash, leaving the rest of the country to pay the infinite unpayable interest. They pay and pay and pay and the debt only grows.

That sounds exactly like my bills.

Most of you people have no idea what is like to live in a country with such great problems. I find it sad to see such jaded cynic "well, screw them, ahahah, you hippie fools". If all you care are your asses, fine.

You realize that you posted this at the same time as you posted to another thread complaining that your TV didn't have a high enough resolution?

While I don't expect Live 8 to actually accomplish anything, it was nice to see Pink Floyd perform again. Africa has far too many problems to solve through aid alone, though the debt cancellation is a good idea. It's not like the countries who made the loans are ever going to get the principal back.

@Quarto - I laughed when I read your solution to Africa's problems. Not because I thought it was a bad idea (though I do). I laughed because there is no way in hell Africa will let themselves be recolonized.

Bandit LOAF said:
That sounds exactly like my bills.
Except it didn't. Unless you had someone take over all your money and make stupid decisions for you. Like loaning money on your name and running away with it. I hope that never happened to you.

You realize that you posted this at the same time as you posted to another thread complaining that your TV didn't have a high enough resolution?

Yep. No jokes about africa there. I was actually complaining about how we don't have tho option of buying 480p tvs for a reasonable price here. Not that African peoples should die so that I could have a 480p TV or anything.

I never said that people must give all their money to africans (that would be easy, with all those nigerian bank scams going around), or that it is bad to be not-poor. It is just that it is easy to make fun of the situation in Africa and of the people who want to do something (even if you believe that their actions are fruitless).

Anyway, I really can't care for you guys attituddes, because you said once that it was stupid to care about what people say on the interwebs.

So, yeah, like, whatever.

To be honest, there is probably a bigger chance of poverty being erased from the face of the Earth than another quality Wing Commander game being produced. Why don't you spend the money you use travelling to DragonCon and donate to aid organizations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back