Linux Version?

E

Elster

Hi,

Is there a Linux Version?

If not, can I copy the Data to start it under a CVS Vegastrike Installation?

Thank in advance

I'm working on packaging it up :) it should be elite

but I'm a grad student too... which means I have limited time--luckily I've made huge progress...it's just not ready--and I don't have the large swaths of time (lecture) where I can play with the linux version like I did with my mac laptop (you see portables are possible to play with in lecture haha)

but you can count on a linux beta version within the next 2 weeks... hopefully a lot, lot sooner.

If you're comfortable compiling I could throw up a tgz of the data... or you could wine the installer to grab that out of it...

but I'm going to do a quake-style release that doesn't need access to dev libs sooner than later.

I have compield Vegastrike CVS on my Debian System, it looks like I only need the data. I test it with the Windowversion and hellcatv, take your time. There are more Importent thinks in live.

You rock, Elster.
if you mail the privateer remake team, we can hook you up with a copy of the linux data...then you just need to move src/networking/soundserver and src/vegastrike into the priv/bin folder
the e-mail for priv remake is

privater *atsign* gmail.com
--hellcatv

PS: that's 1 e, like the old privateer folder

Moonsword said:
how much tweaking did the .exe take to get Privateer from VS, out of curiousity?
Not as much as one might think. The exact same executable runs Privateer as runs Vegastrike.

During the last several months many features were added as a result of work on this mod, but they will be used in regular Vegastrike as well. (AI merchants flying from place to place is an example of this)

There have been some changes to the executable made specifically for the mod as well. Over the last few years, several options have been added to the engine to support Wing Commander mods. Search through vegastrike.config for <!-- privateer --> . Some of those options exist (or have been retained) solely for the benefit of Wing Commander mods. I put one of the more inane ones in myself 'cause no one else cared to, but obviously HellcatV and the Vegastrike dev team do the vast majority of the work on the engine code.

One example of such a config option is Pan on Auto.. While normal VegaStrike uses an in-system warp (or recently, SPEC), that option is in there to instead allow the camera to pan when the player uses autopilot, as in the original Privateer.

HellcatV knows the engine better than I, so he may have more to add when he gets here, but there's my 2 cents :)

Yea, I have installed the Windowsfiles with Wine and now I can play Privateer Remake under Linux (no wine). I have not much time but I try to make a tgz packet out of it.

bye

Back