Lieutenant colonel rank wing commander 1??

You can achieve it in The Secret Missions. Ditto for being able to save after earning the Pewter Planet.

You can achieve it in The Secret Missions. Ditto for being able to save after earning the Pewter Planet.

If I'm remembering this right, the Lieutenant Colonel rank and all that goes with it (chalkboard name, shoulder pins, conversation references, in flight comm texts) are in the WC1 game files, but there aren't enough available kills in the game to reach promotion to it without SM1.

You can however use the WCSAV editor to make yourself a Lt.Col in the original game, and it works just fine.

I used to think the rank was added with SM1, but I wonder if it was an oversight by the devs that you couldn't reach it in the first game.

It is actually impossible to reach the rank of Lt. Col. in WC1; that limit is hardcoded into the executable. Only in SM1 is the rank limit removed. Now you can change the player rank value by hand and everything should work just fine, but you cannot be promoted to Lt. Col until SM1.

All the player rank functionality is within the executable. SM1 adds no new functionality, only new game data.

Wait - is it SM1 (which has the same executable and was made alongside WC1) or SM2 (which is separate)? My memory is that I haven't ever made Lt. Col. until Firekka...

How many kills are you off when you make a "perfect score"?

I was going to do a quick (cheaty) playthrough the find out, but the informative answer @UnnamedCharacter gave seems to make my point irrelevant.

Wait - is it SM1 (which has the same executable and was made alongside WC1) or SM2 (which is separate)? My memory is that I haven't ever made Lt. Col. until Firekka...

SM2 is certainly the seperate executable (as Paladin and Bossman are replaced by Jazz and Doomsday) ~ but I'm almost sure it's SM1 that brings in the Lt.Col rank. I'll go check it out.

I think it's WC1. Our screenshot is Vigrid System, which is WC1.

56-16_medals.png

If I'm remembering this right, the Lieutenant Colonel rank and all that goes with it (chalkboard name, shoulder pins, conversation references, in flight comm texts) are in the WC1 game files, but there aren't enough available kills in the game to reach promotion to it without SM1. I used to think the rank was added with SM1, but I wonder if it was an oversight by the devs that you couldn't reach it in the first game.

No, I think it's just that WC1 was released with SM1 in mind. There were less than 10 weeks separating the two - both were released in 1990!

Back