Let's Play NES!!

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
So I dragged out my old NES games a while ago after finding out that there was a handheld system called the Retro Mini that could play them. (Handheld NES games without destroying my PSP? SWEET!!!)

First let me say, I love this little system. The screen is painfully small... actually smaller then the Gameboy (if that's possible). However it has a hook up to play on the TV. The only other thing I was weary about is that you have to really force the game into it. But so far that hasn't been a problem.

So I started off the other day playing a game I used to love as a little kid... Castlevania... 2 (BUM BUM BUUUUUM!!)

I have to say, I don't know why this game gets such a bad rep. It seems like most of the games I love get shit reviews from pissy people online that after 25 years of playing them, still can't beat them.

CVII: Simon's Quest was a lot of fun. Yes there aren't any boss battles, but I like the town feel, the switch from day to night is awesome, etc. It's a really fun game overall.

My only complaint is that the ending sucks!

You go through the entire game and your (25 year old SPOILER ALERT) character dies at the end.

Anyone else got a good game I should put up a review on?

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

Good choice... It's different from the predecessors in the way the game plays... I honestly think this is what made it possible for games like The Sith Lords to come into fruition. The gameplay is somewhat slow moving and is confusing as ever, but it really paved the way as one of the early in-depth games out there.

How about Maniac Mansion? Along with Ultima IV, it's a game that most of us in this community have probably played before, be it on the PC or the NES, itself.

I just played it again a few months back, for the first time in a decade. In my opinion, it still holds up, and I'd love to know what you think, too!

Any of the KOEI games are easy choices. Nobunaga's Ambition, Uncharted Waters, L'Empereur....

Back