Let's make awful fan-fic superfighters

Vinman

Vice Admiral
Pretty much everybody here has at some point had an idea for a fighter or bomber, and rarely are they any good. To honor these terrible, poorly-thought-out, unbalanced designs, let's come up with some more.

sralightfighter.gif

Here's my awful design, the Minotaur light fighter.

Class Light Fighter
Manufactured By Douglas Aerospace
Length 23 meters
Mass 14 metric tonnes
Max Velocity 700 k/s
Max Afterburner Velocity 1500 k/s
Guns Tachyon Cannons (4)
Missile Hardpoints 4x2 Medium (2HS/2IR/2IR/2HS), 2 flash paks
Front Shield 200 cm
Rear Shield 240 cm
Front Armor 120 cm
Rear Armor 120 cm
Right/Left Armor 120 cm
Jump Capable Yes

good lord! a light fighter with 2 flash paks capable of a speed of 700k/s? - No chance, read the wc4 novel, those things are not light and even the Lance fighter with it's fusion power supply couldn't manage 700k/s with 4 tachyons... The pic reminds me somewhat of the arrow, I'd suggest more realistic specs would see this thing with either lasers and/or ions, and lose the flash paks. the missile loadout is quite high, but comparable with the arrow so I have no serious issues with that, being jump capable, and with those kinds of speeds, I see this filling more an interceptor/recon roll... Any decisions on the handling? Y/P/R stats?

Those could actually be the specs for a light fighter featured some time shortly after Prophecy and Secret Ops. The Piranha is only a tiny bit slower and has more substantial defenses. The Arrow is even faster, and it has the same heavy missile punch. Obviously the flash pak doesn't even really exist, so the only really awkward part is the fairly heavy gun loadout.

well it isnt about realistic space fighter, but awful fan-fic overpowered superfighters.

awful fan-fic overpowered superfighters like this one:

ct22_45.jpg

i call it the jericho medium space superiority fighter.

it flies at 500, has 2 ion cannons and 2 tachyon cannons, has 6 missile hardpoints, and well, dunno.

I'm not sure I'm keen on the notion of this thread, but some of y'all seem to be missing the point.

This thread seems to be for making up the most ridiculously munchkin, obnoxiously overpowered, fanboy-wetdreamish fighter. Something like, for example, a Dragon's firepower and stats slapped onto a WC1 Hornet, or a PTC's firepower put on a Ferret.

As I noted above, though, I'm not all that terribly keen on the subject. Just not enough so for me to outright close the thread, for now at least. I mean, there are other places online for moronic fanboy activity, intentional or otherwise, why bring it to these forums?

Death said:
I'm not sure I'm keen on the notion of this thread, but some of y'all seem to be missing the point.

This thread seems to be for making up the most ridiculously munchkin, obnoxiously overpowered, fanboy-wetdreamish fighter. Something like, for example, a Dragon's firepower and stats slapped onto a WC1 Hornet, or a PTC's firepower put on a Ferret.

As I noted above, though, I'm not all that terribly keen on the subject. Just not enough so for me to outright close the thread, for now at least. I mean, there are other places online for moronic fanboy activity, intentional or otherwise, why bring it to these forums?
The thread is just meant as a fun way to mock all those ridiculous fanboy fighters in a community that has seen so many of them.

I find it funny when I find a website full of off-the-wall designs that don't fill any empty niche in the Confed arsenal and are armed like corvettes.

I mean, didn't these people learn anything from flying the Dragon/Lance/whatever? It's got everything an insane fan could want, super guns, infinite afterburners, a flash-pak, A CLOAKING DEVICE! And it's no fun to fly!

To be honest, I kind of miss the days of the SRA and Aces getting into fights over who had the largest, most powerful fanboy battleship. Then again, those nerd fights got way out of hand and if you feel that those days are best left forgotten, I completely understand.

suicider said:
well it isnt about realistic space fighter, but awful fan-fic overpowered superfighters.

ct22_45.jpg

it flies at 500, has 2 ion cannons and 2 tachyon cannons, has 6 missile hardpoints, and well, dunno.
that's exactly how I wanted the Rapiers to look in the Wing Commander Movie

how many flash-paks can it carry? (it doesn't matter what role the ship is supposed to serve, my first rule of designing a crappy fan ship is that you can never have enough of those damned flash-paks)

Ah I wouldn't worry too much, one thread won't ruin the forums, besides its all a bit of fun anyway.

Or we could simply change it to the 'Lets make superfighters that for that reason, never made it into production' thread. I think you could have fun making silly fighters up that quite obviously would have never made it into production because they're ridiclous (Like a 'light' fighter with 10 guns).

Anyways, I want to design something up, I'll get back to the thread later.

Cheers!

(Like a 'light' fighter with 10 guns).

Like the Banshee :)?

(Hey, no Brazilians to argue that the Scatter Gun counts as the opposite of whatever I say here (one or five). It's... wonderful.)

But seriously, it's a cute thread, run with it.

suicider said:

ct22_45.jpg

Dude, did you draw that?
If you did, can I ask you a question?

Okay... The above is a Carrier my bro drew... so ignore that apart from the ships inside which are the Sawtooths(bottom one)...

wcships0wf.png

Although these aren't designed for WC... I'd say a velocity of 600 kps, 4 Neutron Cannons, 6 Torpedoes, and a Porcupine should do the trick. Don't forget the gunner who is out in space below the bomber:p

Looking at the specs you mention Vinman, it aint too bad
But I was scratching my head, the Minotaur fighter has already been classified in Action Stations, I cannot recall what class it was but it the name has been used.
Would that not be in conflict with another ship name and or class?

Yea, a lot of these are loadouts you look at and then say "hey, I've seen that before ingame..." (the bomber-loadout Sabre from WC2 for Peidu's example). You mods have trained them into reasonability far too well.

Vinman said:
To be honest, I kind of miss the days of the SRA and Aces getting into fights over who had the largest, most powerful fanboy battleship. Then again, those nerd fights got way out of hand and if you feel that those days are best left forgotten, I completely understand.

Most of the posters today don't even know what you're talking about. This goes for Death too: we're so far removed today in 2006 that people don't know how to make the terrible stuff that you guys are remembering from 1996. It won't end up being either thread that you two are envisioning. People don't have much of a frame of reference to give this thread the nostalgic kick that you're thinking of Vinman, and we've grown beyond the stupid designs Death. All the "unreasonable" designs mentioned so far are actually mostly plausible. The whole idea of a "make your own fighter" thread is something new and novel for most of today's posters, and there's no need to link it back to the Aces or any of that junk that happened before.

Back