Let me get this straight...

I play it, finish it and move on to other games, like back to WC IV.
Now that is a good game that deserves to be replayed several times.
One thing I simply dont understand.
What is the diference of the Ranger and Concordia class carriers? they look the same.

Size and ability, The Ranger is a Light Carrier, the Concordia is a Heavy Carrier. They were designed at the same time and as such they resembal each other, at least that is my theory

The ranger is quite a bit older than the Concordia. In Action Stations (circa 2634) it is refered to as 'old'.

TC

[Edited by TC on 02-10-2001 at 00:31]

Whoa really, if it was old then then it would be ancient in WCIII in 2669, perhaps the Concordia Class Carriers were designed after seeing how effective the Rangers were. BTW if I understand correctly there were 3 concordia's: 1 the Carrier from Action Stations that gets destroyed, 2 the Confederation Class Dreadnought, 3. the SuperCruiser from the movie. Are there any more that I forgot?

If someone is mistaken, the TCS Concordia that is a Confederation Class Dreadnouth with the Concordia Class Carriers, the TCS Lexington is a Concordia class carrier and the TCS Victory is a Ranger class Carrier.
Since both class are similar, I just what to know that seperates both class.

[Edited by Dragon on 02-10-2001 at 00:52]

There is a significant difference in size between the Ranger class light carriers (720 meters, 28,000 tonnes) and the Concordia class fleet carriers (980 meters, 73,000 tonnes) -- there is also a significant difference in capacity (40 fighters onboard a Ranger versus 96 fighters onboard a Concordia). The Ranger is significantly older than the Concordia -- 2534 versus 2629.

There have indeed been three ships to bear the name Concordia...

- The TCS Concordia from Action Stations, nameship of the Concordia class Fleet Carriers.
- The TCS Concordia from the movie, nameship of the Concordia class SuperCruisers.
- The TCS Concordia (CVS-65) from Wing Commander 2, a Confederation class Dreadnaught.

The reason both carriers are similar is because OSI re-used the Ranger model in WCIV, since the Lexington wasn't supposed to be particularly important.

That explains why it looks so similar, Its the same ship! Does anybody know what happend to the Concordia Supercruisers? and The Rangers are really 100 years old at the start of the war that makes them 135 years old at the time of WC3. DAMN that is like going to battle today aboard a civil war era ironclad

Dash, my bad, that should have been 2584, not 2534 -- making the design 85 years old in WCIII. (Victory herself entered service in 2635).

What's the diffirence between a Concordia Class Carrier or a Ranger Class Carrier ?

That date makes the Concordia class carriers reletivly new during Action Stations. Does anybody know how many were made in total over the years. I know that at least 40 Rangers were made (since the Victory was CV-40), but how many Concordias. I can think of the Lexington, Princeton, and Concordia, how many others?

Unless a new concordia was made after the the loss of the TCS Concordia there is no ship with that name in the Concordia class carriers, the TCS Concordia was a Confederation Class Dreadnought, not a Concordia Class Carrier.

Dude, there were 3 concordia's the first was a Concordia Class carrier, the second was a Concordia class supercruiser, and the third was a Confederation Class Dreadnought

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Speak... ENGLISH! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SPEAK ENGLISH! PEOPLE WILL TREAT YOU LIKE AN IDIOT, NO MATTER HOW INTELLIGENT WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY IS, IF YOU DON'T SPEAK FUGGING ENGLISH!

Actually, you can speak japanese, french, spanish, portuguese...and people will still think youre intelligent :D

My point in my last poast, LOAF, was that weather or not The Darkening takes place in the Wing Commander universe is a matter of opinon. Not that it is, or isn't. I don't think it is, but that's beside the point.

And as far as your argument about similarities goes, then I guess that means Starlancer\Freespace\Xwing games are all a part of the Wing Commander universe as well.

Look, all I'm saying (to everybody here, mind you) is that I LOVED THE DARKENING! But I don't put it into the WC timeline. It's unneccesary to me. I don't care what Origin tells me. And like I said before, if everything Origin approved was to be taken as the Gospel, then Blair and Maniac have met for the first time Three times. Once in AcademyTV, once in WC1, and once in the movie.

They're only human, and can be wrong, too.

It's like when people argue about physics in the world of Myst. (I've spent a considerable ammount of time arguing there as well.) Things contradict themselves, and people argue about it. It's the game fan's nature. But I think it's idiocy for people on this thread to tell me that I'm wrong in considering Privateer2 to be a seperate universe from Wing Commander.

Idiocy or not, you're still, in my opinion, wrong. If the people that make it say it's part of the universe, then it is. Simple as that. But, whatever, think what you want. ;)

Oh, and Blair and Maniac have only met each other twice. 1.) On the Claw in WC1 and 2.) At the Academy. In the movie, they had met at the Academy, also.

P2 being in the WCU isnt a matter of opinion, if it was, then WC1...WCP, Armada, P1 being on the WCU would be a matter of opinion too. You cant say what is and what isnt, just the creator of the series can, in that case Origin.
But of course you can have your opinion, you can think it doesnt belong to the WCU (im not sayng you dont like it, i know you like P2), thats your call, but that not means that P2 isnt in the WCU.
As Blair and Maniac meeting for 3 times, its because the movie, game and academytv, even being in the same universe, they are separated things, note that one thing that happens in the movie doesnt exactly happens the sameway in the game, you couldnt start the movie from the end of WCP for example, because a lot of people thats not familiar with the WCU wouldnt know what happened before, the movie, game, academytv and the books are made by diferent persons, and each one has a point of view, no one tells te same story the same way...in part i agree with you, you cant use facts from those different sources, because of those problems. But P2 is the only source about it (as far as i know), so there is no point from taking it away from a timeline. Starlancer\Freespace\Xwing in the same universe? Huh, i dont remmember Blair using a light saber, and being called Luke...:D They are separated universes, they could look similar in gameplay or whatever, but things that exist in one universe doesnt exist in another, Blair doesnt have a lightsaber, like Darth Vader doesnt have a vaktoth...
You where sayng about references, so from where i can see it, there is already reference to WC in P2, but theres no reference of xwing in WCP...

KillerWave, you've only demonstrated my point. I don't actually think that Freespace\Starlancer\Xwing were a part of the WCU. I was using that as an analogy\argument to Loaf's point. Don't take things so damned literally.

Speaking of Loaf... WELCOME BACK!!!!

Anyway, in regards to another post made, No. Privateer, Armada, Academy, and so on were definitely part of the Wing Commander universe. You know it, as well as I do, but the reason Privateer 2 is different in my mind is due to the fact that the foundations of the world are different.

Jumping nav points replaced Autopilot. Jump gates could be manufactured. Weapons and equipment were different. (I hate having to repeat myself.)

THIS is the reason P2 being a part of the WCU is debatable. Origin renamed it more than midway through the game. So we all know it wasn't designed originally to be a WC game. This isn't up for debate. What IS up for debate is weather or not we should consider it part of the WCU.

The facts are as follows:

Point: Origin says so. They should be taken seriously.

Counterpoint: Origin says a lot of things that are full of crap.

Point: There are two or three as-of-yet UNSPECIFIED instances in The Darkening in which WC or the Confeds are mentioned.

Counterpoint: These were thrown in at the last minute to justify placing a "Privateer" monicer on the game.

Counterpoint: The physics are different.

Counterpoint: Everybody's british.

Counterpoint: It wasn't designed to be a WC game.

Counterpoint: Chris roberts had nothing to do with it, though he was still at the focal-point of the Wing Commander franchise at the time. (If anybody says that that rules out Prophecy, I'm going to laugh at you.)

Counterpoint: The refferences made to WC are vague at best, and could far more easilly be chalked up to "Whatever" than "It's WC!"

Counterpoint: We're all big, fat nerds for arguing about this for so damned long. Not because arguing is stupid, but because if one looks over these posts in full, one will notice that the argument has turned into a game of "Repeat as neccesary"

So I'm saying, you may think I'm wrong in saying that Privateer 2 isn't in the WC universe, but none of you has proved me wrong yet. As I've said before, I don't care what Origin says. They've lost all their credibillity. I don't care that there's a Talon-esqe ship in Privateer. I don't care that a (not the) confederation is mentioned. I want facts. I want proof. I want somebody to prove me wrong without resorting to the typical "You're retarded, and I'm right no matter what you say" posts. C'mon, people. Some of us have been WC fans for elleven years. I know we can do better than this.

Originally posted by LividLiquid
KillerWave, you've only demonstrated my point. I don't actually think that Freespace\Starlancer\Xwing were a part of the WCU. I was using that as an analogy\argument to Loaf's point. Don't take things so damned literally.

I was joking, didnt you see the smiling face? And i dont see how i proved your point...

Speaking of Loaf... WELCOME BACK!!!!

Yes, welcome back, forgive me for being rude and not sayng this before...

Anyway, in regards to another post made, No. Privateer, Armada, Academy, and so on were definitely part of the Wing Commander universe. You know it, as well as I do, but the reason Privateer 2 is different in my mind is due to the fact that the foundations of the world are different.

Ahhh, now you proved MY point :). P2 is different in your mind...

Jumping nav points replaced Autopilot. Jump gates could be manufactured. Weapons and equipment were different. (I hate having to repeat myself.)

Autopilot wasnt replaced with jumping, the control keys where different. And repeating myself too, isnt P2 like 100 years in the future?, so obiviously guns and equipment changed...

THIS is the reason P2 being a part of the WCU is debatable. Origin renamed it more than midway through the game. So we all know it wasn't designed originally to be a WC game. This isn't up for debate. What IS up for debate is weather or not we should consider it part of the WCU..

No its not, renaming a game isnt reason to make it dont belong to the same universe, and like Loaf sayd, it was designed to be a wc game. My point again...you can consider it the any way you want, but it is part of the WCU. (There is a reason why only Origin can make new WC games, they hold the right to its franchise, so they are the only ones that can say whats in the WCU).

The facts are as follows:

Point: Origin says so. They should be taken seriously.

No, Origin word is the only one that matters

Counterpoint: Origin says a lot of things that are full of crap

Point: There are two or three as-of-yet UNSPECIFIED instances in The Darkening in which WC or the Confeds are mentioned.

Counterpoint: These were thrown in at the last minute to justify placing a "Privateer" monicer on the game.

So there is reference, and the same as before

Counterpoint: The physics are different.

Dont see it.

Counterpoint: Everybody's british.

Thats because the ACTORS who participed in it where British, that doesnt means the characters are too. If they all where japanese, that means everybody where japanese? And remmember you didnt meet everyone in the system...

Counterpoint: It wasn't designed to be a WC game.

Are you sure?

Counterpoint: Chris roberts had nothing to do with it, though he was still at the focal-point of the Wing Commander franchise at the time. (If anybody says that that rules out Prophecy, I'm going to laugh at you.)

In that case I will laugh at you, if thats correct for P2 must be for WCP too.

Counterpoint: The refferences made to WC are vague at best, and could far more easilly be chalked up to "Whatever" than "It's WC!"

So? Its still reference, even if is only the word Confed somewhere...

Counterpoint: We're all big, fat nerds for arguing about this for so damned long. Not because arguing is stupid, but because if one looks over these posts in full, one will notice that the argument has turned into a game of "Repeat as neccesary"

Huh, im not fat :D

So I'm saying, you may think I'm wrong in saying that Privateer 2 isn't in the WC universe, but none of you has proved me wrong yet. As I've said before, I don't care what Origin says. They've lost all their credibillity. I don't care that there's a Talon-esqe ship in Privateer. I don't care that a (not the) confederation is mentioned. I want facts. I want proof. I want somebody to prove me wrong without resorting to the typical "You're retarded, and I'm right no matter what you say" posts. C'mon, people. Some of us have been WC fans for elleven years. I know we can do better than this.

I never sayd you where retarded, yet there is enough proof already, even if it doesnt need to. Origins word is rule in this subject. Thats you that must prove that ím wrong, make Origin says its not in the WCU and i will believe you...

WOW...big post!!

Back