Let me get this straight...

Originally posted by Dralthi5:
Well, I think it says somewhere that the inhabitants of the Tri-System have been there for a few thousand years, so this is probably the case, strangely enough.

IIRC, the game says only that the three systems have co-existed peacefully for two thousand years and that the planet Anhur has experienced some “serious history” over the same time. There is then no Year One, as such, for Tri-System civilization (even if we could figure out how to translate such a date into a Confed time line).

P2 takes place in the 28th [century].

No, we don’t know. We have no basis for believing that the year 2790 in the Tri-System (the time of P2) translates into the year 2790 in the Confederation proper. We shouldn’t presume that any more than we should object to the fact that the Kilrathi use a different calendar.

Originally posted by Zor Prime:
. . . but i like the idea that Britains colonised that area of space . . .

Yes, I admire the Britains too, but Vondoom is right, we have no basis for believing that Joe Kane of the Tri-System, as opposed to John Hurt the actor, actually speaks with a British accent, let alone that he actually speaks English, let alone that he is actually human instead of humanoid.

Think of it this way. If Origin had decided to make a game exclusively about the Double-Helix and their society, we wouldn’t think twice about why that insect-like race appears to speak English even though we know it communicates principally through scents and pheromones, just as we never think twice about why the Kilrathi in both the games and novels "prefer" to speak English too.

Good point, about all of those bits Nemesis, but I will say that the Tri-System is going on in the gregorian calandar date of 2790 because that is the time used by all other WC games and this one does not have to be diferent.

Most shows use a convention that if you are going to have alot of characters speaking different languages, that whenever they are by themselves (such as Minbari on a Minbari cruiser) they speak Minbari but we hear English, but if someone who speaks English (such as Captain Sheridan on the White Star) they will then be speaking English (or Minbari and it will sound like Minbari). A great example of this is B5: In the Beginning where the Minbari meet humans for the first time. We are hearing them speak English but they don't know our Language. So technically Nemesis could be totally correct in that they are not actually humans (parallel evolution??) and they are even more likely not to be speaking English. Despite them being english of course. :)

That could be possible, except the remarkable resemballence to humans, even if they evolved under the same conditions evolution would have taken a slightly or totaly differing path because of random mutations, and just random coincidence ie what would have happend if the dinosaurs were not killed by that astoroid, would we be here today?

In regards to what one person has stated below,

Never once did I claim to dislike the Darkening in any way. Far from it, actually. It's one of my favorite wrap-yourself-in-a-blanket-and-stay-up-all-night games.

The reason I don't think it's based in the WC universe has nothing to do with the fact that Origin says so, or that the box or an ad from a different game claims it so.

The reason I don't believe it to take place in the WCU is simple. I sat down, a Freshman in high school, to play the game the day it came out, and as I played through, I looked for the staples of the WC legacy. Races. Lingo. Technology. Even a friendly mention of the Confeds. Instead, I got the Tri system, different ships, different characters, different space-physics, and different technologies. (C'mon, the Nuke 'em?)

I drew my own conclusion that since it wasn't designed to be a Wing Commander game, and since no signifigant last-minute changes were made to accomodate us WC fans, it just wasn't part of the series.

Privateer was titled "Wing Commander: Privateer". Whereas Privateer 2 had no Wing Commander in the name. Another reason for me to believe that I was right in assuming it wasn't in the same universe\reality\game world as my favorite series of games.

I tried to state a number of posts ago that Privateer 2 was undoubtedly NOT a member of the Wing COmmander familly, and now I realize that I was truly mistaken.

While I believe my exact words were "It's non-debateable." We've been debating it for 43 posts now, and I was wrong. Weather or not this game truly is a Wing Commander game it completely and utterly open for debate. Pretty much everything is.

Let it alone already, i will always say its part of the WCU, and you will say its not, lets talk about P2 technology 100 years in the future, british accents, and why aliens always speak english :rolleyes:
But to me, it always appeared obivious that they will speak english anyway, because its a game, and we need to understand it, even the fish in a tv comercial i saw spoke english (actually portuguese here but thats not the point)...:D
And 100 years in the future, if this is correct, the technology is mostly like to change, even most WC1-WC2 ships are retired in WCP, and no one talks about them in the games

[Edited by KillerWave on 02-09-2001 at 19:32]

Just remember the changes in tech from wc1 to special ops. The cloaking device, shields that are somewhere on the order of 100 times stronger, around 30-40 new guns, fighter based jump drives, inpenatrable cap ship armor, FlashPacs, and m/am fighter engines. That too place in a period of 27 years. Imagine what could be done in 4 times that

Originally posted by KillerWave:
Let it alone already . . .

But . . . this is who we are.:) (See below.)

Originally posted by LividLiquid:
The reason I don't think it's based in the WC universe has nothing to do with the fact that Origin says so . . . The reason I don't believe it to take place in the WCU is . . . as I played through, I looked for the staples of the WC legacy. Races. Lingo. Technology . . . Instead, I got the Tri system . . . I drew my own conclusion that since it wasn't designed to be a Wing Commander game . . . it just wasn't part of the series.

I confess I’m still having a little trouble understanding your (and Dragon’s) arguments.

On the one hand, you seem to be criticizing P2 from a creative point of view, much like someone saying that a particular “work” (oh, for example the series Star Trek: Voyager, or John Grisham's latest novel) just isn’t true to the effort, the tone, or “the jazz” of other works, and therefore “doesn’t deserve to be in the same class or category as . . .” and so forth. If that’s what you mean, fine. We all make these sorts of judgments about our favorite entertainments.

On the other hand, when you (and Dragon) dismiss Origin’s clear statement that the Tri-System is a part of the WC universe, you seem to be rebelling against “The Game” (if I can be forgiven for calling it that) that many of us like playing in this Zone, namely trying to “piece together” the reality of the WC universe using the facts given to us by Origin (directly or indirectly) through the games, novels, movie, official Web site, etc. In particular, you seem to be rejecting the most important (some might even say sacred) rule which is that Origin, as the author of the games, is always entitled to have the last word on what is or is not a fact about the WC universe. (You may or may not realize that one of the virtues of this rule is that it makes “The Game” practical; without at least some facts that are absolutely beyond debate, no debate could ever be resolved.)

I don’t mean to belabor the matter, but I’m just wondering if you (and Dragon) are perhaps confusing the two perspectives, or if indeed you really mean to attack the traditions in this Zone about what we should and should not accept as “canon” about the WC universe. If the latter, I’d be very interested to know what “new rule” you (and Dragon) are seriously proposing.

Nemesis, i just sayd that im trough discussing about it with him, no matter what he doesnt accept that P2 is a part of the WCU, even if in my understanding, and to many others i suppose, its only up to Origin say what is and what isnt...
Their point appears to be that its not part of the WCU, just because they dont want it to be...

I got after telling something about P2 a load of stuff about the P2 TD game (its was eiter EW or Quanto that send that).
I am saying that is very little to work with in P2 TD about ConFed and the general references in the WC universe.
I have posted my personal (Personal, that is the key word) views about the game Develoment.
Original the TD game was never to be passed on the WC Universe, only AFTER the P2 game (that was to be pass on the WC Universe) was drop, the TD became P2 TD.
Why? well I have given my view on that, and I simple desreguard the entire P2 TD game itself, I have It, I play It and I even end It.
My opinion about P2? I got Privateer after P2 and I rather play Privateer over P2.

Well dragon you are allowed to not like the game, but it is still part of the universe even if it originally was not going to be part of the WCU

Thats the last thing im going to say about P2 being in the WCU. Even if P2 has absolutely no reference to Confed, that P2 and TD where two different games, That it just became P2TD to attract WC fans, Origin sayd its in the WCU, and thats final. Origins word on this subject is the only one that really matters. WC1 and WCP are two separated games, WC1 had the Tigers Claw, but its not mentioned in WCP, it makes WCP not being a part of the WCU? Of course not, the lack of reference, or was another game initially it doesnt matter.
There is my last word about it. :D

[Edited by KillerWave on 02-09-2001 at 22:45]

Oh my god, THERE IS NO REFERENCE TO THE TIGER`S CLAW IN WC P!!!!!!!
Well in that case, WC P does not pass in the WC universe......NOT.
Come on, in WC P you got Blair, Maniac, ConFed, Kilrathi, hell you even got war time fighter from WC III (and for that matter WC IV) around, hell look at the manual, that nice ConFed badge all over it.
What did you got in P2 TD, a single fighter from Privateer, the first time I see that fighter I did not even know what its was back in Privateer since I did not had that game at that time.
Sorry, Besides that, there is nothing else related to the wing commander universe, so how are they especting us to see the game and Say "Hey, its pass on the WC universe...", for some of us guys WC III was the first WC game that we played.
There is nothing in that game (besides the fighter and we have to played the first Privateer to know) that give us any hint about that, just a press releace from origin that says that.
A marketing trick, that is all.....
And yes, Origin (crap, EA more likely) say that and its final, LIKE I SAID IN SOME POST BEFORE, I dont like it and if I start a page on WC games I will put Privateer but not P2 TD, but its their call, of course if they make a game that say P 3 and pull something like that againg, I am not going to fall for that a second time, I will just wait for a review. It safer.

[Edited by Dragon on 02-09-2001 at 23:45]

Speak... ENGLISH! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SPEAK ENGLISH! PEOPLE WILL TREAT YOU LIKE AN IDIOT, NO MATTER HOW INTELLIGENT WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY IS, IF YOU DON'T SPEAK FUGGING ENGLISH!

First, the canon.
Privateer 2 includes quite a few references to the Wing Commander universe. Aside from the mysterious appearance of the Talon/Gratha (SWC) during one mission, there are numerous (something like 17) references to "Confed" and "The Confederation" in the flavour text of the Tri-System database. Further, most aspects of the Privateer II universe are identical to those of the Wing Commander universe -- the general types of weapons, the methods of commerce, the technologies, the dating scheme (late 2700s), the general space combat and so on. Note that Origin's official Privateer 2 FAQ also confirms that it takes place in the Wing Commander universe.

Now, the story.

In 1996, there were two Privateer games in development. Privateer 2 (in development in Austin) and Privateer: The Darkening (at Origin UK). Privateer 2 (like Crusader: No Mercy) fell apart when Chris Roberts left Origin -- thus, Erin Roberts' (the original Privateer creator) spinoff "The Darkening" became the sequel. Members of the Maverick team did, in fact, work on Privateer 2 towards the end of its development cycle. (Sidebar: Much of the work done on the original Privateer 2 was eventually transferred over to the again-cancelled Privateer 3.)

Consider this: if P2D (or PD, if you insist) isn't in the Wing Commander universe, what is it? A Wing Commander ripoff! It is *too similar* to Wing Commander for them not to be marketed as (and developed in) parts of the same universe.

I am stoping arguing that in here forever, so dont espect anything from me about P2, whatever is about the story, developement, weapons, everthing about It.

If Loaf says something than it is so period, that is why he is the Baron and head of the zone and probably the head of the entire WC fan community

Dragon, i was joking when i sayd that about the Tigers Claw and WCP...jeez :rolleyes:
Now according to what Bandit Loaf just sayd ( i actually dont remmember the references to confed, but im to lazy to play the game just to look for it :D), you cant say it isnt in the WCU.
And if you really think aboutt it, really if P2 isnt in the WCU, like he sayd its a major ripoff!

[Edited by KillerWave on 02-10-2001 at 00:16]

I dont care about what he said,I dont give a damn about P2.
I am also sick of argue about that game.period.

[Edited by Dragon on 02-10-2001 at 00:16]

Ahhhh, so you got to the point, like i sayd before, you just dont care about it, you just dont like it to be...:rolleyes:

[Edited by KillerWave on 02-10-2001 at 00:30]

Back