Let me get this straight...

A Talon class fighter if I am not mistaken.
It is just a S.O.S. you get in space,you go there and tractor the pilot, nothing more....

The problem is that Origin sayd that P2TD is part of the WCU, so who are we to say its not (even if i didnt liked P2)
Example:
If Origin makes a lemmings type of game, and says its in the WCU (in a confed planet or something like that), it is...
Its like if it comes out a new SW movie and it says that Luke Skywalker dies and the emperor appears again to control the universe, you say its not part of the SW universe because you dont like it...
Ok, its a ridiculous example, but just to show that we cant say that it isnt WC just because we dont like it, otherwise, everyone would have a different WC universe...

I have a refference to p2 being part of the wing commander universe.

I have the privateer gold version. On it is a avi commercial for priv 2: the darkening. In it is says "In privatteer II you explore an unfamiliar system in the wing commander universe."

[Edited by Valiento on 02-09-2001 at 14:11]

KillerWave, go play the game and tell us were are references to the WC universe.
One, only one is there and even that one is open to debate, despite what Origin say about it.
P2 was drop and I belive that if P2 TD was not in the final stages (they were finishing shooting the film) it would be drop too, for a marketing coup they simply put the "Privateer II" above the "The Darkening" title, It was to please the WC fans (its was to FOOL WC fans) that was put in there but the game was so near to be finish that nothing about the WC universe was there incorporeted in the game so it could be released on time, if there was a little more work on that it would be diferent.
The game "The Darkening" was NOT to be a game based on the WC Universe, but after P2 was drop Origin start to claim it is despite the lack of ANYTHING in the game that is related to WC Universe, it simple nothing about it in either the manual or the in the boot system that say anything about WC Universe.
P2 TD sould have been reworked to incoporate WC Universe references, it was not to meet dead line, that is the way EA thinks, Its not a matter of having a Good game, its a matter of relesing a game, Good or Bad its pointless to EA as long the Dead line is reach, that is why they are losing moeny in the last years.

I played the game, remmember i sayd i didnt liked it?
And even if what you are sayng about P2 and TD being originaly two different games is right, the fact is that the advertasing movie says its in the WCU, Origin says its in the WCU, even if it has no reference et all, you cant say its not...
If Origin makes another game and says its in the WCU, but has none reference to it, it is in the WCU...:(...even if i dont like it to be...even if its a good game.
Now if you are sayng its not because you say it, then we can debate it forever and stay at the same point, then i will just stop talking about it. The fact is that is not up to me or you to say its or it isnt in the WCU, its up to Origin.

[Edited by KillerWave on 02-09-2001 at 14:32]

p2, darkening, and p2 td

P2 and the Darkening were 2 different games. And just to prove that, look on the last page of the WC4 Flight Manual.(u know, the one thats the size of a cd insert) It has an ad for The Darkening. This is the game by Erin Roberts. I never once saw an ad for Priv 2 but I do know that they were different games. That was Origins boo boo. They advertised it as one thing, then delivered something else. And as for the Difference in technology, P2 TD took place in the future, not the present. AND, Erin Roberts made it not Chris Roberts, which could be a contributing factor.:)

So?
I dont have the WC4 manual ( i have the WC4 disks from a friend, no box, nothing :( )
Even if it isnt supposed to be a WC game, its not up to me to say its not...
This is going nowhere...:(
Maybe its better i just stop discussing, you have your idea and i have mine...done.

Yea P2:TD is happening 100 years in the future in a section of the universe that we have never been too, that is why things are different. And maybe everybody has british accents becuase the colonists who colonized it were, maybe i dunno BRITISH!!

Or maybe because it is a british game, made in England by british game designers, starring british actors. Heck, it was even released in Europe first.

When is Privateer supposed to take place exactly?
I can believe it takes place in WCU and I personally loved the game and didn't mind the british actors (perhaps because I'm british). It would make more sense to me if it took place in the future
god its been a while since I've played that game, I really need an old 266MHz (is that a good speed for the deluxe edition?)

Well ConFed decided to do mankind a favor and dicth all Brits in there, unfortunate they manage to suvive, That is why there arent any jump points to ConFed, ConFed used a new type of weapon called "The Jump Point Node Destroyer" to isolate the tri-star system so they cant leave.
That is why there arent any references about ConFed.

[Edited by Dragon on 02-09-2001 at 15:40]

Well, I don't think anyone disputes that P2 and TD were initially being developed as two different games. Seems like P2 wasn't going great so fair enough, they dub The Darkening P2. OK, so it probably IS a marketing gimick designed to appeal to WC fans but so what?

I don't have a problem it being in the WC universe. Origin say it's in a primarily unexplored region of the WCU, not to mention something like a century in the future. Hence if it's just outside known space, then being missing from the WCP map doesn't mean anything. I just don't see a reason to highly dispute it.

Even in its own time, the Tri System still may not be known in what is/was Confederation space. It need not have been inhabited by the expanding Confederation. I mean, maybe a bunch of explorers in the early (pre?)Confederation days of spaceflight fall through a gravity well and end up in some far flung system or something. Yeah it's a clichéd and maybe stupid idea and I'm by no means saying I think that's what happened. I'm just saying there are ways to explain it. Maybe the evolution of life in the Tri system occurred completely independently of Earth.

Personally, I also quite like the idea that one of those fighters (Talon was it?) could have gotten shot up a bit, the pilot killed and drifted out into deep space for about 100 years when it was stumbled upon by someone in the Tri system and its design used to build others like it (as I doubt it could have been fixed up after that amount of time).

As I said, I don't pretend to claim that P2 is undoubtedly based in the WCU but I personally just don't see a reason to dispute it.

Originally posted by Griffin
Maybe the evolution of life in the Tri system occurred completely independently of Earth.

Well, I think it says somewhere that the inhabitants of the Tri-System have been there for a few thousand years, so this is probably the case, strangely enough.

Back