Lego Fighter - Longbow

update

hey guys,

just a quick update

the wheel is rotating on the vertical support but the other strut should stop the wheel from collasping if you put the end into a hole on the bottom plank.

the scale is fairly close too real scale (real as in lego man size compared too a blair in WC3 maybe a little smaller but...its lego:p)

ive started the instructions (since im still not with my girlfriend and i have some spare time until i leave ~~~ - anyone else hate valentines?) so heres some teasers for you i am basically rebuilding the model too make sure it all fits together and have come across a problem but sorted it :p so no need too worry about that.

page2-3small.jpg

page4-5small.jpg

these are made extremly small but show you that im doing it like a proper lego instruction - the finals will be 1024x768 - or higher resolutions and possably PDF format.

Vermin

Delance said:
That looks complicated.

I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out. Vermin, are you going to post the creation on the lego site so we can order the parts and build this bad boy?

Maj.Striker said:
I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out. Vermin, are you going to post the creation on the lego site so we can order the parts and build this bad boy?

i will do once shes all finished up :)

Vermin

Looking good. As an avid Lego builder and longtime WC fan I've been keeping tabs on all the Lego goings-on around here. I don't want to come off as a know-it-all noob, but I had a few suggestions for the model. Right now, even with the redesign, the wings look a bit awkward and unstable. Not to mention there are a couple physical impossibilities in the picture. :) This could all be simple enough to fix, but I've got an idea that might look better.

longbow_wing_01.jpg

This wing has studs on both sides, and IMO looks very nice. You can also throw some tiles on for the blue stripes.

longbow_wing_03.jpg

Here's the inner workings. Lots of those multi-sided bricks hold everything together. The dark blue ones have been around a long time. The light blue ones are pretty new (your version of LDraw may not have them, but you can download the beta parts at their website. let me know if you have trouble finding them). The tan part is a click hinge.

Obviously you'd have to tailor this to the specific shape you want, but maybe it will get you started (if you want to take this direction at all). I've used the method quite successfully on one of my own ships.

I've put the pictures and the Ldraw file on my Brickshelf ideas page.

I'd be happy to offer advice on other things if you like, just let me know. Or, better yet, head over to the Classic-Space forums for advice from dozens of talented (far more so than me) builders.

If Lego Digital Designer doesn't have the right parts, you can always order them off Bricklink. It's time consuming, and can get expensive, but it's great if you just need those last couple barts.

BTW, you can render MLCad files with Povray, like I did here. It's a bit of a pain in the ass (for me at least, since I don't know the first thing about rendering) because you have to run the .ldr files through a program called L3pao, but it is possible. And they come out looking nice.

I've had plans to build a ship based on the Tarsus for a while. Maybe I'll have to push it up on my schedule so as not to be outdone by all you up-and-commers. ;)

Ok, I'll shut up now. Feel free to flame me for my novel length noob post.

Clever way to get the studs on both sides.

It looks good on your Timberwolf model. Very nice concealed landing gear BTW.

Mainman said:
Looking good. As an avid Lego builder and longtime WC fan I've been keeping tabs on all the Lego goings-on around here. I don't want to come off as a know-it-all noob, but I had a few suggestions for the model. Right now, even with the redesign, the wings look a bit awkward and unstable. Not to mention there are a couple physical impossibilities in the picture. :) This could all be simple enough to fix, but I've got an idea that might look better.

longbow_wing_01.jpg

This wing has studs on both sides, and IMO looks very nice. You can also throw some tiles on for the blue stripes.

longbow_wing_03.jpg

Here's the inner workings. Lots of those multi-sided bricks hold everything together. The dark blue ones have been around a long time. The light blue ones are pretty new (your version of LDraw may not have them, but you can download the beta parts at their website. let me know if you have trouble finding them). The tan part is a click hinge.

Obviously you'd have to tailor this to the specific shape you want, but maybe it will get you started (if you want to take this direction at all). I've used the method quite successfully on one of my own ships.

thanks main man - as im re working the design as i build the instructions im ironing out all the impossibilitys theres none on the body now (as far as i can see) and im starting the wings today - they should be stable but i agree your wing does look better so i might build yours into the model (if thats ok with you).

thanks for the ideas

I've had plans to build a ship based on the Tarsus for a while. Maybe I'll have to push it up on my schedule so as not to be outdone by all you up-and-commers.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Feel free to flame me for my novel length noob post.

dont push things aside im sure everyone will want too see more lego models and one day have a lego fleet of excellent models

and welcome too Wingcommander CIC from me.

Luigi30 said:
Which Lego CAD program did you use

Im using LCAD, its quite easy too get too grips with, only problem i find is the parts wont click together you have too place them together. its a bit annoying but still.

anyway - progress update -

the body now has complete instructions, the wheels and wings and front gun will be put together as instructions today and ill either have it up today or tomorrow hopefully.

Vermin

Vermin said:
thanks main man - as im re working the design as i build the instructions im ironing out all the impossibilitys theres none on the body now (as far as i can see) and im starting the wings today - they should be stable but i agree your wing does look better so i might build yours into the model (if thats ok with you).

It's definately fine with me. It's not like I've copyrighted it anyway, and I'm not the only one (or the first one) to use it.

I was thinking you might be a little better off using click hinges for the connection point of the wings too. The connections you've got now might or might not have enough friction to keep them at the right angle.

One last thing, I just realized. I don't think you'll actually be able to find the angled panel parts in gray. I've looked before and they have never been produced in gray. It's a shame, because they really look good on this ship. Maybe if you build it in real brick you could make the ship white or something. Or you could try other building techniques

Vermin said:
dont push things aside im sure everyone will want too see more lego models and one day have a lego fleet of excellent models

and welcome too Wingcommander CIC from me.
Thanks! And don't worry, I'll get to my WC builds eventually

hey hey

sorry its taking so long too get the plans finished a few things have happened and ive had too prioritize (things with my band and life in general)

making the wings section is fairly hard but once its done i will submit the designs here for you and get them uploaded too lego :)

sorry again

vermin

did you also download the parts list from LDRAW?

also. the downside of MLCAD and LDRAW is that they don't have every single part that LEGO has made but they do have quite a bit. sometimes you have to just improvise

Back