Lego Fighter - Longbow

Vermin

Spaceman
ok been playing around with the Lego Cad program...(its quite good - reminds me of my youth) and i think ive made a normal size - as in you can fit a lego man inside if you wanted- longbow model, i need too check it out and make some improvements (the wings at the back will be improved).

hopefully...once ive checked out if all the peices are fitting together, i can use LCAD too make some instructions (just like real lego)

anyway here is a screen of the design so far.

Longbow21.jpg

let me know what you think.

Vermin

Looks good. The nice thing about this program seems to be you can get unlimited numbers of all types of parts which otherwise could be hard to come by.

Delance said:
Looks good. The nice thing about this program seems to be you can get unlimited numbers of all types of parts which otherwise could be hard to come by.

with my lego collection i could probably field the parts (tho not in the right colours:p)

i was lego mad as a kid

~~~

Vermin

Looks cool. Vermin, do you know Lego.com factory ? It's a Lego service that enables you to actually buy the bricks needed to make your models. First, you download their LEGO Digital Designer software, then you design your model in it then it gives you a cost estimate and offers you to have the necesary blocks delivered to your home. But here's the other fun part: you can submit your model to Lego.com factory so that everyone can browse through your models and buy it too !

I would find it very cool to have a wide WC lego models selection that fans could buy :)

If you do design lego models for Lego Factory, pay close attention to the bricks you choose, though: bricks are sold in bags, so if you need only one brick in a bag, the price will be estimated for the whole bag.

PopsiclePete said:
Looks cool. Vermin, do you know Lego.com factory ? It's a Lego service that enables you to actually buy the bricks needed to make your models. First, you download their LEGO Digital Designer software, then you design your model in it then it gives you a cost estimate and offers you to have the necesary blocks delivered to your home. But here's the other fun part: you can submit your model to Lego.com factory so that everyone can browse through your models and buy it too !

I would find it very cool to have a wide WC lego models selection that fans could buy

If you do design lego models for Lego Factory, pay close attention to the bricks you choose, though: bricks are sold in bags, so if you need only one brick in a bag, the price will be estimated for the whole bag.

Thank you, i was wondering if you could buy the parts like that, ive tried too keep the parts in even numbers, once its finished i may submit it too lego.com, but i wont be able too buy the parts too build it at the moment...lack of funds :p

Bandit LOAF said:
Looks amazing!

What about the guns? The chin mounted forward stuff and the turret?

Thanks, its still being worked on ill have them added too the model soon just working on the wings because im not happy with the two on the right side (left as you look at it from the front), but hopefully she will be finished this week... and ill start the plans :).

Vermin

I tried that LEGO designer thing today. I'm not sure if I like it because your parts are restricted to a certain type. Maybe there's some way to get around this but it would get annoying to switch part types and find out some of your parts disappear because they don't match up to the new type...

wow!

i made the front page - yay

anyway updates on it... it all fits together and is finished (i think added the guns and rebuilt the wings (hard!) so now i can deconstruct it and make the instructions. this may take a week or two because my gran is now sick in hospital and im off with my girlfriend next week but ill work on it tomorrow and friday and see how far i am with the instructions then. oooh and the landing gear should retract.

2 updated pictures

Longbow41.jpg

Longbow51.jpg

Any suggestions/things ive missed let me know :D

Vermin

Great work Vermin :D.
Its good to see other wc lego maker.
(I think there was a two landing gears on Longbow back, anyway Great)

suggestion: for the top guns. instead of using 1x2 plates with pegs have you tried the smooth surface ones? that way the guns can face forward instead of an angle like that.

and another one. Instead of the bar and clip connection (that's what i call it anyway) to hold the wings. have you also considered the joints that come with the star wars kits? like the ones that connect the wings on the X-wing. I'm not sure of MLCAD has the part (i think it does) but it would provide for a sturdier joint/hold instead the ones you currently have. but these are just suggestions of course.

other than that it looks great. im interested on seeing if it can support it's own weight. only wish i had the blocks to build it :(

Yeah, I wish you would submit the design to lego.com factory (yours as well, Freelancer) I would like to buy the parts and make them as well. Could you please submit them?

Wow - cool. Didn't know that such a service existed at all. One question to all designers of WC ships however - what is the scale of your ships? Did you just use blocks as fitting or did you also consider the size of the ships? Two scales would be immediately logical for me: Either scale it to the size of a human respectively a lego human (probably too big I guess), or scale the fighters as small as possible in order to be able to actually build a carrier in true relations (too small for the fighters I guess, while still too large for the carriers). Anyhow - it would be a good idea IMHO to establish a standard WC scale

Considering that the pre-Prophecy games didn't establish a standard scale, why should Lego WC creations worry about it? :)

Damn, now I wanna cry because I have no more legos... :(
Great job, best WC LEGO ship I've seen.

Death said:
Considering that the pre-Prophecy games didn't establish a standard scale, why should Lego WC creations worry about it? :)

Considering that UE/Standoff menaged to bring them together in a working scale would suggest that this is a problam that can be solved, can't it?

In game code, yeah. Lego isn't quite as flexible, though, unless you get into a larger scale (*ahem*) than most Lego WC ship creations tend towards, maybe something similar to Lego's Technic line.

st3lt3k, check the side view of the revised model with the guns. It's only supported by the vertical strut, not the diagonal one.

Back