Lego Arrow Zooms In (March 18, 2023)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
John Nelson has another built another classy custom Lego fighter. Like his exquisite Longbow, this one also comes from Wing Commander 3. I like the bubble canopy and especially the lines of the aft fuselage. There's some forced scaling necessary for the gun pod, but that's a nice touch too.

While I gather parts to complete another project, here is the Arrow. This one is far from perfect. The canopy should be down further and the fuselage should end with a point and the back wings aren’t great but this is as close as it’s getting.

Plier (would) say, “The Arrow is a fine dog fighter that runs circles around anything in space but ConFed cheaped out on the missile racks. Give me the Banshee anyday.”

--
Original update published on March 18, 2023

Nice model and yes, I think the biggest problem is the canopy ... the form just doesn't feel right as it's too round.
Anyway, it's always nice to see my most favorite ship in the news! Keep up the good work!
Edit: The side view and top view of the model look really great!

Oh and one more thing:
I would rather take the Arrow than the Banshee anyday. ;)
Who needs missiles? Maniac, of course ... 😂

Last edited:
I would rather take the Arrow than the Banshee anyday. ;)
Who needs missiles? Maniac, of course ... 😂

Yeah, depending on the version, you've got the same number of missiles on the Banshee and the Arrow, but I like the implication that there's also a qualitative difference between the two that we don't see in the game. :)

And the canopy is obviously not exactly the right shape, but it's a good stand in given the limitations of Lego pieces available.

Yes, and again my fault:
I compared the Armada Arrow to the Armada Banshee ... but yes, the quote of Plier points to the Border Worlds Banshee.
I would still fly the Arrow...

It would be great if you could fly the Arrow in the Wing Commander 4 Remastered version. It was not possible in the original game... but the Arow was still used by the Confederation as seen in the last game over video when Tolwyn attacks the Border Worlds.
Who do I have to bribe to get the Arrow to fly in WC4 Remastered.... at least for a few missions at the beginning? 😁

Yes, and again my fault:
I compared the Armada Arrow to the Armada Banshee ... but yes, the quote of Plier points to the Border Worlds Banshee.
I would still fly the Arrow...

It would be great if you could fly the Arrow in the Wing Commander 4 Remastered version. It was not possible in the original game... but the Arow was still used by the Confederation as seen in the last game over video when Tolwyn attacks the Border Worlds.
Who do I have to bribe to get the Arrow to fly in WC4 Remastered.... at least for a few missions at the beginning? 😁
I would love Thunderbolts myself. I always like heavy fighters more though.

Yeah, they're not just in the cutscenes! The game has three arrows we can fly against: Pirate (red/blue), Confed (green) and Black Lance (purple). With that being said, it can be a major balancing issue to introduce new ships. Part of what makes the ships we fly so memorable is because we are forced into a limited selection (which is why LOAF had to write a song to help everyone remember all the ships of Privateer 2).

Attachments

• wc4arrow1.png
    wc4arrow1.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 6
  • wc4arrow2.png
    wc4arrow2.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 9
  • wc4arrow3.png
    wc4arrow3.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, depending on the version, you've got the same number of missiles on the Banshee and the Arrow, but I like the implication that there's also a qualitative difference between the two that we don't see in the game. :)

And the canopy is obviously not exactly the right shape, but it's a good stand in given the limitations of Lego pieces available.
It’s been awhile but if I remember right, in WC3 the Arrow only can mount Javelin or Spiculum missiles. No Darts to make killing cap ships easier. Or even mines for that one mission when Tolwyn is on board.
either the post war variants as all WC3 to WC4 ships have, they upgraded the racks or it’s some tech detail I never saw.

Could be game balancing reasons too. I know, I know, it's immersion-breaking to take that perspective.
Oh it’s DEFINITELY a balancing issue. Nobody would fly the Hellcat with its 6 missiles to the Arrow if you could use darts to kill Paktahns and Corvettes. Course I love that sound the Neutron Gun makes in WC3 (BOWSH BOWSH BOWSH!!)

Yeah, they're not just in the cutscenes! The game has three arrows we can fly against: Pirate (red/blue), Confed (green) and Black Lance (purple). With that being said, it can be a major balancing issue to introduce new ships. Part of what makes the ships we fly so memorable is because we are forced into a limited selection (which is why LOAF had to write a song to help everyone remember all the ships of Privateer 2).
Yes, you're right. It was just a one man's dream.
Well, now I still had to stifle a little tear, because that would have been too good to be true.

Back