Least favorite WC?

What's your least favorite Wing Commander game?

• WC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WC II

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • WC III

• WC IV

• WC: P

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • WC: SO

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
I'm sure this has done a billion times before, but I just played through WC II again and relived the frustration it gives me and it inspired this post. Mine is definetely WC II.

P.S.- I'm talking about the "mainstream" WC's. I guess you would call them that...

I don't really have a least favorate, but the last on my list is Privateer 2, although I accidently picked WC2 'cause I thought that you wanted the most favorate, and you didn't have Privateer 2 on there.

WC2, maybe because i don´t like the ships or it´s a little bored to play compared to others

Yeah, I'd really have to go with Priv 2 as well, but as for mainstream WCers, I really don't think any were that bad. They may have made me angry for a while, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it made me dislike them.

I'm going with Wing Commander Prophecy as my least favorite... Not because it's a bad game or anything, but all of the others are so great. I just didn't like being Lance Casey, and all the new stuff seemed soooo far from the good days when there were 3 cannons...

...and plus some of the new ships looked kind of wierd....:eek:

Can't really say, since all WC games are good. WCP/ SOPS were storywise my least favourites but the most fun to fly. I didn't like too much WC3 storywise either, but every WC game is just great.
What I can definately say though, is that WC2 is one of my favourites. :)

I have to admit that I never really got into WCP. Yes, the graphic was great, but where was the story?? I never felt really involved (which got even worse after seeing Blair, I just thought: THAT'S ME! *gg*). All the other games (except the first one, but hey, that's a classic anyway;) ) hat such a wonderful storyline. I REALLY CARED what happened to the characters. But I never cared for someone aboard the Midway (except Blair *g*), not even for Casey!

HAVE A NICE DAY
Heart of the Tiger

I think my biggest problem with WCP was with the treatment of Maniac. Blair I didn't mind so much, particularly since they kept him in the background, although his apparent death was disappointing.
Maniac, on the other hand, was barely even comic relief. He's so pitiful in the game that its hard to even laugh at him. Part of the fun with Maniac is that in 3 and 4 he honestly believes that he's the flat out best at EVERYTHING that's important to him - flying, womanizing, what-have-you. He ends up spending most of Prophecy in an 'I suck' routine. He's so pitiful that I'd almost rather see him die in combat rather than retire at some point (speaking of which, anyone guess how much longer before Confed forces him out of the cockpit?) simply because there'd pretty much be nothing left for him at that point. On the other hand, the game made him such a 'blah' character, that I don't think I would have cared much if he had (except for maybe nostalgia's sake).

From a character perspective, I really disliked Prophecy too. I think it's just because I was so used to Blair and Maniac, that I really disliked Casey and Maestro.

I realize they have to move on to fresh actors/younger people, but I still disliked it. :)

I'd have to say the entire WCP and WCP:SO. WCP was lacking in detail and such. The characters were nothing great. Flying the missions was probably the best part of the game.

WCP:SO was totally lacking in every department. No FMV, no characters(not even Maniac), the missions were okay but basically the same as WCP. The only thing I actually liked about the game was the beginning of Episode six where that Plunkett cruiser actually lights up a bug cruiser.(Finally)

actually (please don't shoot me) I must say that Wing Commander: Prophecy is my favorite WC. It introduced me to WC (leading the purchase of the previous titles), and it is so friggin fun to fly! The reason I didn't like WC II as much as the others is 1. the "acting" was pretty cheesy, and 2. the flight dynamics were so horrible I thought I was going to die of frustration (there's only so many times I can take getting hit by my wingman while trying to take out an enemy).

Why would anyone shoot you? I love Prophecy too. Other than that I cant really choose a least favorite.

Prophecy is not as good as the other wc games cause of the plot!
It is generally a good game, it is just under the shadow of a great series and it just takes a bad critisism from the old wcfans

I dont like it too as a wing commander , but that doesnt mean it is a bad game! ;)

I love Prophecy, too.

I’m not really sure why people attack the ‘plot’: Prophecy has a great plot.

Aliens attack – mysterious aliens who we don’t understand. They slaughter en-masse, with no interest in communicating with us. That’s a great setup.

The first half of the game is very much about how regular people *react* to the situation. Dallas can’t take it. Hawk is suddenly haunted by the horrors of the last war. Maniac re-adopts his defense weapon, his ‘Maniac’ persona. Zero blames his father. Maestro drinks. Blair can’t stand the Tolwyn role – the idea of sending his people out to die without going with them. For the first time since, say SM2, we see people *really* reacting to the confusion of war – it’s not “Oh, aliens, lets go kill them!”… the characters are troubled, and I like this a lot.

The second half is the coming of age tale – very simple, effective and necessary. The grizzled veterans of the Wing Commander universe pass the torch to the new guys – and they do it well. Hawk, for all his turmoil, is the first and only character who really finds peace with the Kilrathi war (an essential idea of WCIV) – and it’s thanks to a member new generation. How symbolic is that? It’s about *closure* -- we serve with Cult of Sivar pilots… the Kilrathi who refused to accept the surrender. Maniac accepts that putting on his charm cannot make him a good leader. Blair realizes he cannot be Tolwyn and goes out in a blaze of glory, saving our new characters. Consider: Prophecy *started* with a clear conflict among the unsure new and haunted old characters… and through the actual conflict of the game, the new people were accepted and the old’s demons extracted. Prophecy ends with a now confident Maestro, Casey and Stiletto ready to take on the enemy.

Back