"Learn something new every day"

Jesus

Swabbie
Banned
So the saying goes, you learn something new every day. So, for our knowledge, post something unique that you learned today. And feel free to comment on an earlier post, just make sure we know which post. I'll start it off...

A company by the name of Universal Display has successfully made an electronic screen(for viewing things like a PC monitor or TV) that is a giant grid of LEDs on a pane of glass, so that when it's on, it looks like a screen, but when it's off, it's transparent. Sounds like something out of a sci-fi film if you ask me...

http://www.universaldisplay.com

I learned today that I don't like mangoes. Then again, I was informed afterwards that you aren't supposed to eat the skin, so I might give them a second try.

Today I learned that my cancelation period was moved up to three months because someone made a mistake in creating the contract.

Today, I learned the difference between sleeve bearings, ball bearings, and that japenise motor bikes used to have ball bearing that would mean that if the engine did explode, it would explode from the top rather than the bottom.

Yesterday I learned that people don't like paying for a consultant if they consider them to be too young so they cancel the contract even though the "young" person delivered what they had been asked to do. Crazy world.

This was supposed to be more of a learning thread than a complaining thread guys. ;)

Maj Striker's post is a little iffy on that, but then again, that's a lesson none the less. Many times in the past, my mom(a relator) was tuned down because someone else gave the clients a better offer, even if they were a relator newbie. In otherwords, they chose price over quality, though in the end, lost money from a bad relator, and so they lost money and quality. Go figure. Some people are just...

But yeah, nothing more like critical mass' post please.

I learn that it takes patient to teach younglings the fine art of competition sparring in Taekwondo...especially those who watch lots of movies and all

Mangos are great, but I learned some time ago that they make my face break out in an indescribable rash.

Adept as I've become at picking good fruit, I've yet to master picking a really good mango. Sometimes I get lucky, but most the time they're still not ripe enough or they're too ripe.

Pineapples don't make much differences. Eventually you can smell them and you know they're ready to eat cause they'll have a good mix of orange within the green. It's easy to let a pineapple get too orange though and then when you slice it open its got lots of brown spots on it.

Mangos are also kind of hard to cut right I think. It takes practice. But with pineapples I just hack the top, cut down the sides, place it on its side then hack off the bottom. The result is a flower of rinds (peel?) that is still attatched to the bottom. Then I'll just cut it into discs and either eat them that way or chop it into cubes that I freeze and blend with orange juice and bananas. It's so good!

I found out that dole used to have a pineapple juice factory in Hawaii where they had a pineapple juice drinking fountain. Mmmmm...

That's weird. Was it just like juice from concentrate? I heard once that you could order ripe pineapples from Dole and have the shipped to you in a day or two. So I ordered a box of four hoping I'd get them all vine-ripened cause you know they have more sugar in them that way, but when I got them they were all green just like at the grocery store.

I was pretty disappointed. But I also ordered those really good chocolate macadamia nuts you can get over there. Macadamia nuts are originally from Australia. And pineapples originally from China I believe. It's crazy just how much of Hawaii's plant life is imported.

The fact that created some more grey hairs during the day: Enabling Win2003 remote access is hidden in the Control Panel/System menu. Very creative, I must say.

Shipgate said:
I was pretty disappointed. But I also ordered those really good chocolate macadamia nuts you can get over there. Macadamia nuts are originally from Australia. And pineapples originally from China I believe. It's crazy just how much of Hawaii's plant life is imported.
Hawaii is group of isolated islands that had never been a part of any continent. All of its plant (and animal) life is imported :).

Quarto said:
Hawaii is group of isolated islands that had never been a part of any continent. All of its plant (and animal) life is imported :).

I dunno, (based on darwinism)you might have some amphibians that emerged from the ocean onto the Hawaii islands and then evolved there to fit the habitat, and that would be nonimported animal life.

And again, based on darwinism, everything came when lighting stroke a puddle of mud millions of years ago and spontaneously created some amoeba with a complex RNA replicating machine. It's strange to talk about native life, if everything has the same point of origin. Whoa, is that on-topic?

Also, IIRC, the theory that life came from outside of Earth has increased in popularity in recent years, and this would presumably mean that not only does life all come from the same source, but none of it is native to Earth.

(but Delance, I do believe it would be pretty hard to be off-topic in a thread like this :p)

Apparently the muscles women find most attractive (according to men's health) are the abs, glutes, calfs, shoulders and back.

Psh, Men's Health, it's a magazine. Why not ask the women you're trying to interest what they're interested in? It would work much more effectively. :p

Back