Last Words: A New Birth of Fandom (August 11, 2009)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
I'd like to take a moment in this space to talk about our community.

Let me be perfectly honest: two weeks ago, for the first time in nineteen years of Wing Commander, I had a crisis of faith. Why am I doing this? Do we need the CIC anymore? I write the occasional news update, I post to the Chat Zone, sometimes half heartedly, and that's it. I've seen so many friends go on, never to be heard from again--others seem to be fading away slowly into the damning responsibilities of adulthood. When I am with my friends--friends I met because of this community--I rarely ever talk Wing Commander anymore. And then there's one final classified and bitter truth: I had been consulted by Electronic Arts on no less than five failed attempts to relaunch Wing Commander in the past two years.

So it struck me: it is time to fish or cut bait. Either give up Wing Commander and move on to an ordinary life or rededicate myself to the community we have built. Over the course of several days I did a few things. I talked to some of the staff--could we throw ourselves into the job again? Do we want to? It was clear, there, that even when my friends are unable to contribute that they have a deep passion for Wing Commander and for our group. What's more, we are friends in the first place because of Wing Commander. The series is a common bond, the site we have built is a true achievement.

Then I looked at the community. It is, perhaps, common repetition that our fan projects are less active and less impressive than they were five and ten years ago, that the forum conversation is less interesting, that all efforts are subdued in some inexplicable sense. Bullshit! Have you tried Standoff? It's brilliant, it's magnificent. Play it. Show your friends. Show your kids. It should be the most popular game in the world instead of some fan mod; it has more love in it than a dozen Assassin's Creeds and more talent than a dozen Bioshocks. Look at how much dedication goes into everything from paper models to the community replay to the WCPedia.

Finally, I loaded the original Wing Commander. In five minutes it was just as thrilling, just as engrossing and just as much a work of art as it was the first time, so many years ago. Quit the Wing Commander community? I had to be crazy - we're the greatest fans of the greatest game in the world. Think about this: five failed projects in two years? That doesn't mean Wing Commander is necessarily doomed -- it means a lot of people are trying to bring it back, however quietly. Even if it doesn't, even if it takes a hundred years... it's ours. How could I give up on it?

I encourage you all to go through the same process. Take some time to sit back and recognize how great this community is, how important your efforts have been to building it and then how further dedication can only move it to even greater heights. Thank you all for your work - you have mine, zeal renewed, for another... oh, let's say eleven years. I'll see you for the big twelve next August--and tomorrow, in the news.

--
Original update published on August 11, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
Heyas LOAF!!

I know the feeling, having 2 kids, wife,work and some other things to do is very stressing.
Sadly dont have the time i want to play PC Games or stay with you people in irc.
The WC universe and you people will always have a place in my hearth and my PC.
Heck! i'm downloading Privateer Gemini Gold to have some fun.

Kind regards to you, Chris,Kris,Hades,ace (i miss the ace happy month), Frosty, Lehah and the others that arent with us today.

Ghost.

"Damning responsibilities of adulthood."

While I certainly haven't been around as often as I used to be in the early 2000s, perhaps in due part to this, I always come back to the CIC on a regular basis to keep posted on information and keep in touch with such a fine community.

Thanks for deciding to keep going, CIC. I could understand if you - LOAF or anyone else - decided to pull out, but I am grateful and thankful that, for now at least, you have chosen not to.

Happy 11th birthday!

Great to hear of your new found faith.

As someone who has been part of the community since the mid-90s I've watched the CIC grow up from a small start up to the amazing site it is today. I can say that without it my love of WC would have probably died long ago.

Instead, I check the CIC almost hourly, post to the forums, have managed to find myself involved with a bunch of WC projects (and love every minute I work on them) and love interacting with everyone here. If it wasn't for you guys, none of us would be around to enjoy the continuing greatness the community creates.

Thanks for everything! And here's to another 11 years!

Long Live the Confederation.

I´ve never lost my love for Wing Commander, but those damning responsibilities of adulthood really caught me... I haven´t posted here frequently in a while, but Standoff has really kept my WC passion going on, and flamed back again! It is, indeed, a major accomplishment, designed by brilliant and passionate people.

Long live the Confederation! And may the 6th project work out well :p

I was thinking the same thing not to long ago. I miss coming here as often as I use too now that I also have many of those "adult responsibilities". But the CIC is still as a great of a community as it ever has been and I know it will continue for many more decades to come.

Like a lot of fans, I'm mostly lurking on the CIC without often leaving a post on the forums, but one thing is sure : the CIC is my daily dose of WC dream, and I'll be forever grateful for the work you do for us fans everywhere on this small planet because that's one great website if there'll ever be one.

Happy birthday, CIC !

I've been a part of the WC community since '97 and I also remember when the CIC was founded. Hell I used to post on Chris Reid's AOL newsgroup before there existed a CIC.

Wing Commander is my favorite game of all time, I enjoy stopping by here and seeing what's new with it. I don't post on the forums so much but hey, I don't really post on -any- forums so much.

Projects like Standoff really reinvigorated my love of the game and I look forward to future projects like WC Saga. There's really not a month that goes by in which I don't visit wcnews -at least- once (this past week it's been a daily thing).

Plus every year or two I get in the mood to replay one of the games and start posting here like crazy.

Point is WCNews is a good place to have and refresh. It gathers your love of the game in one single place and in one community and that's important. Without the community this game would have been forgotten long ago. It's a good place to have. One day you just catch yourself reminiscing about Wing Commander and think "Hey! I'll visit the CIC!" and mosey on over here.

Even in my least active phases, I visit wcnews at least once a week. Even if there's not a forum discussion going on I want to participate on, there's always a news update about my favourite game universe. I am also always amazed about the titles you give the news updates, I find them mostly very witty.

Wing Commander is the best franchise in the world and it deserves the best fan community in the world. The CIC's dedication shows that it got what it deserved. You're truly amazing!

Thanks a lot.

So I only really lurk here, but I've found over the years that WC can be a labor of love and general frustration (at times). I remember fondly playing the original game on a friends PC then being shocked when I played it on a system with a sound card.. on and on through the games my enjoyment crew, and with the internet I found people who shared similiar view points.

We grow up, move on.. some come back.. names change... Being a responsible adult isn't appealing is it? For my little part of WCdom its a labor of love, and as long as it stays that way I'll find the time to enjoy WC... even if it's for a half hour a week.

So a heart felt thanks for what you all have created here and have kept going.

Hell I've been here since 2001 and haven't really posted anything until just recently. I guess the point is that this community has really started to excite me again lately. I think this is a great time to be a Wing Commander fan!

It really is too bad space sims (and most flight sims for that matter) went the way of the Dodo bird. So many WoW kiddies nowadays don't know what they're missing.

Back