Landing on Carriers and other suggestions

• Thread starter ColonleFireball
  • Start date
Oh that's ok, at more then one point I had killed so many confed the kats were all friendly. Only guys you don't wanna piss off are the hunters, they are relentless, always showing up in the far flung systems and those orions just won't die. Pirates are bad to piss off in the early stages because then you can't really complete the plot but then you have to get confed to like you later. Of course maybe there could be a fixer or two but that always felt lame in freelancer. Like they'd just "forget" about you after all that time. Retros were the only party everyone hated and that hated everyone, they were always there no matter how far out you went, much like pirates but unlike pirates I never got on their good side, if they had one. They were the perfect foe, always ready to die and always more of them, point is you need something to shoot at and pirates wouldn't really go looking for trouble unless there was profit in it.

Anyway, maybe there could be something like costa de sol in FF7, you have to have an unseemly amount of money but you can buy a house there if you get it. Was kinda neat and you get to loot your own chests for a change. :)

Sonic TH said:
Of course maybe there could be a fixer or two but that always felt lame in freelancer. Like they'd just "forget" about you after all that time.

You mean like Roman Lynch in Righteous Fire, where by completing a mission set for him, or later 200K credits, he could clear your record? :)

Bandit LOAF said:
Eh, I can go either way for XWA. It was a prettier version of X-Wing, which was fine... but it *should* have been Star Wars: Privateer.

That's true. It's amazing that, of all franchises, SW didn't make a game like Privateer. I really liked the modified Corellian transports on XWA. Such a potential wasted on sequential, scripted missions.

Bandit LOAF said:
In this case, though, I'm talking about the 'collect space garbage for winning missions' -- and that was exceptionally silly. You had so much pointless space crap in your room by the end of XWA...

It was getting very fun on the end. They could have kept this feature for the more important jobs.

And, speaking of traitors, that uncle was so obvious.

Sonic TH said:
Oh yeah and don't take out the retros, that part was the most fun. Killing em right when they are half way into their "Repent sin....#@$@#" :D Guess it wouldn't matter but you need some cannon fodder for every game, a party you can kill without pissing others off, so you can gain cash and not have to deal with confed/pirates during the plot missions unless they're part of the script.

The Retros are headquartered in Gemini, which is on the coreward frontier of human space. The Landreich is on the rimward frontier, with all of the Sol and Enigma sectors in between. Perhaps a local homegrown faction could be in the game instead?

Delance said:
That's true. It's amazing that, of all franchises, SW didn't make a game like Privateer. I really liked the modified Corellian transports on XWA. Such a potential wasted on sequential, scripted missions.

It was getting very fun on the end. They could have kept this feature for the more important jobs.

And, speaking of traitors, that uncle was so obvious.
$%^#$!

I'm just now playing through the XWA single player game. Now that this plot twist has been spoiled for me, I am going to uninstall it and go back to writing my name and Pioneer inside big hearts in my notebook.

About a "everyone hatet-fraction". Instead of having Retros, what about Kilrathi-Pirates. They fit more into the Wing Commander Universe and are also "hated" by all others, even the "regulary Kilrathi".

Well, but my MAIN SUGGESTIONS are more about the "Carrierlanding" and the "Housing". :)
So we don't reduce my suggestions to the Retros. :D

Fireball, I guess you really won't be able to get people to drop Retros - half of them secretly like them because they're so absurd, and the other half will start to argue that either a.) Privateer is quite a stretch away from the rest of the WC universe in distance as well as in time, so parties like the Retros could develop easily, or b.) the Kilrathi code of honor prevents them from becoming pirates, or c.) something completely different.

But on the other ideas:

Landing on a carrier is nice, but I'd think of it as a creative add-on. It doesn't really contribute much to the game (unless its meant to be a plot element or focal element of Pioneer's game structure), and it will cost a considerable amount of time and work to create it. If the development team falls madly in love with the idea, I'd like to see it done, but if not, I'd rather have a decent game than something that looks tacked together and rushed out the back door.

"Home sweet home" on the other side seems to be something that some players are looking for, and which has a constant effect on the whole game. It could be something that helps to keep the plot together, and gives a sense of achievement to the player.
I know, there are tacky examples (remember the fish bowl in Starlancer?) and it can easily be overdone, but I hink it fits into the general idea of Pioneer: As a mix between space sim and First-Person-Interaction game, the player character will be more fleshed out, and the plot more based on personal decisions and morals - so having a place to come back to can lend more credibility to that. I personally like the idea of my character having an appartment somewhere, with some kind of life and past attached, and always wondered where and when Grayson Burrows slept or ate - so I can imagine a "home" to be quite neat.
But again, it's all in the hands of the dev team: Guys, have fun doing it, and if you do, do it as best as you can. Thanks, looking forward to it.

Death said:
You mean like Roman Lynch in Righteous Fire, where by completing a mission set for him, or later 200K credits, he could clear your record? :)

Yeah I wish they had let you kill him, that's what I said I'd do if I ever found him. :mad: I still think fixers aren't very believable, I like the way X2 worked better, you could hire a hacker to make it so you could land at a base that otherwise wouldn't allow you to but IF I remember right it only lasted for so long then it went back to normal.

I like the carrier landing and home ideas myself, I also like the retros even if they aren't in this game that's not really a big deal. I say the kilrathi could be pirates, even if they have honor codes not everyone plays by the rules no matter where you come from. Think of ronin for example, maybe there could be rouges that aren't pirates but aren't on a side either. Kinda like umm space hippies :D that want to stop the war, they could be made up of more then one race aswell.

(no offense to anyone btw)

I also think strongly that if you live to fly like a privateer, you'd live on your ship, that wouldn't be possible with two seat fighter though but if you did have a house you should have to buy it. Maybe it could be what you do at the end of the game to "settle down" and relax, then take the shiney new tarsus you got and park it till your grand son is born. At least that's kinda the way I saw it ending.

Well, this is a different to suggestions made so far, and that's a mission simulator, I was playing standoff and thought that something like this would be possible. What I'd personally like to see if you consider implementing this, is that as well as the player ships, how about having the option of flying a couple of ships not available in the game "real world" - this would allow those who would like to fly say, a hornet or scim, maybe even a dralthi, if you're worried about huds, maybe just have a single "sim" hud design... Just something for your consideration... Tho if you decided to implement this in any way, what I'd also like to see, is that the sim would not be free, and maybe as another commodity, different bases could sell different sim missions, make a bunch of different ones the player could fly around and collect. This could be a bad idea, maybe asking too much, just figured would be cool :)

Regarding kats as pirates: The Midway was battling a Kilrathi pirate group before the events of Prophecy, as mentioned in the ICIS manual (2 pilots killed in that activity were mentioned on the plaque in the FMV scene after Dallas was killed, in Prophecy). Also, as I recall in Action Stations and the first part of End Run, some kats weren't averse to lining their own pockets, even if it may not be via the most honorable of methods, under Kilrathi social codes.

PeteyG said:
I'm just now playing through the XWA single player game. Now that this plot twist has been spoiled for me, I am going to uninstall it and go back to writing my name and Pioneer inside big hearts in my notebook.

You seriously didn't expect it? It might be the most predictable plot element on a Video Game ever since Wormtongue turned out to be a Traitor on Riders of Rohan.

ChrisReid said:

I was just kidding, it's not really a spoiler if the game is that old.

Delance said:
You seriously didn't expect it? It might be the most predictable plot element on a Video Game ever since Wormtongue turned out to be a Traitor on Riders of Rohan.

I was just kidding, it's not really a spoiler if the game is that old.
I still don't expect it. I haven't gotten to that part yet!

And i'm pretty much totally joking too.

CptnEisen said:
Well, this is a different to suggestions made so far, and that's a mission simulator, I was playing standoff and thought that something like this would be possible. What I'd personally like to see if you consider implementing this, is that as well as the player ships, how about having the option of flying a couple of ships not available in the game "real world" - this would allow those who would like to fly say, a hornet or scim, maybe even a dralthi, if you're worried about huds, maybe just have a single "sim" hud design... Just something for your consideration... Tho if you decided to implement this in any way, what I'd also like to see, is that the sim would not be free, and maybe as another commodity, different bases could sell different sim missions, make a bunch of different ones the player could fly around and collect. This could be a bad idea, maybe asking too much, just figured would be cool :)

ya, thats very different from the suggestions above.

Iceman16 said:
Maybe for this game you could by a flight simulator and have it in your room

well, sorry iceman, I missed your post there... I do agree that would also be very cool, but my idea was more to have the flight sims in the stations themselves, rather than your idea of having it in your pilots own room. sorry if I offended you with that comment, wasn't my intention.

Here's an idea, have on-line wanted posters to see who has the most bounty offered on their head. Kinda a Standoff style score board with some window dressing.

criticalmass said:
Fireball, I guess you really won't be able to get people to drop Retros - half of them secretly like them because they're so absurd, and the other half will start to argue that either a.) Privateer is quite a stretch away from the rest of the WC universe in distance as well as in time, so parties like the Retros could develop easily, or b.) the Kilrathi code of honor prevents them from becoming pirates, or c.) something completely different.

But on the other ideas:

Landing on a carrier is nice, but I'd think of it as a creative add-on. It doesn't really contribute much to the game (unless its meant to be a plot element or focal element of Pioneer's game structure), and it will cost a considerable amount of time and work to create it. If the development team falls madly in love with the idea, I'd like to see it done, but if not, I'd rather have a decent game than something that looks tacked together and rushed out the back door.

"Home sweet home" on the other side seems to be something that some players are looking for, and which has a constant effect on the whole game. It could be something that helps to keep the plot together, and gives a sense of achievement to the player.
I know, there are tacky examples (remember the fish bowl in Starlancer?) and it can easily be overdone, but I hink it fits into the general idea of Pioneer: As a mix between space sim and First-Person-Interaction game, the player character will be more fleshed out, and the plot more based on personal decisions and morals - so having a place to come back to can lend more credibility to that. I personally like the idea of my character having an appartment somewhere, with some kind of life and past attached, and always wondered where and when Grayson Burrows slept or ate - so I can imagine a "home" to be quite neat.
But again, it's all in the hands of the dev team: Guys, have fun doing it, and if you do, do it as best as you can. Thanks, looking forward to it.

@ Death: Thanks for showing an example for Kilrathi Pirates.

A reason why Wing Commander is so great, is the Story. It concentterates everything on a few races and fractions, but you get (almost) every "Why and How?" for the characters.
And Retros have absolutly no Story. If they are more like Terrorists, maybe o.k. but they are Flying Religouse-Maniacs (Sorry to "Maniac" Marshall :D)
Who fight against technology WITH technology. The only Reason I camn imagine they got created is: "Someone wanted to make a persiflage of Sciene-Tology, because they believe in Science."

It's strange,... The Firekkans are more Important to Wing Commander and no one is talking about them. But stupid Retros, they have to be part of the game at any costs! Weird people ;)
But the decision is o.k. as long as there are no "Pilgrims" in the game.

And about the "Carrier landings": Of course it should work properly. You think I want a " Buggy" game with hundrets of features?
It is always so (or it should be so) include what you can, but always have an eye to the gameplay and avoid bugs. So no need to say it. ;)
And Fanprojects are never "rushed". :)
Not only because it is a question of time and money. Also because they don't have a Publisher in the Neck who tells them what to do and when it has to be done.

But it's still a suprise for me to see how many people like my "housing-idea".
Thought Landing on Carriers would be the bigger-thril for Wing Commander fans. :)

ColonelFireball said:
A reason why Wing Commander is so great, is the Story. It concentterates everything on a few races and fractions, but you get (almost) every "Why and How?" for the characters.
And Retros have absolutly no Story. If they are more like Terrorists, maybe o.k. but they are Flying Religouse-Maniacs (Sorry to "Maniac" Marshall :D)
Who fight against technology WITH technology. The only Reason I camn imagine they got created is: "Someone wanted to make a persiflage of Sciene-Tology, because they believe in Science."

They might be a walking contradiction, but that is their story.

ColonelFireball said:
It's strange,... The Firekkans are more Important to Wing Commander and no one is talking about them. But stupid Retros, they have to be part of the game at any costs! Weird people ;)

People aren't saying that, but Retros have been important for two of the three Privateer games, so it's natural that they come in a discussion about a Privateer themed fan project. Depending on the setting, it could be far more likely to run into Retros than Firekkans.

And Retros have absolutly no Story. If they are more like Terrorists, maybe o.k. but they are Flying Religouse-Maniacs (Sorry to "Maniac" Marshall )

The Church of Man has a fairly interesting story that's a good bit more established than people assume -- Righteous Fire and the Privateer manual do a lot to establish them as an actual faction, complete with an origin story and very interesting internal conflict in the addon (and even internal organization, introduced in the backstory about their leader... the idea that they train ship technicians is fascinating to me).

They're not a pastiche of scientology -- they're a commentary on the contradiction inherent in all kinds of radical religious views. Their crusade against Hunter Toth in the original Privateer, for instance, is clearly a parody of the fatwa against Salman Rushdie. (And don't even get started on the idea that they refer to their leader as 'his holiness father {so and so}...)

It's strange,... The Firekkans are more Important to Wing Commander and no one is talking about them. But stupid Retros, they have to be part of the game at any costs! Weird people
But the decision is o.k. as long as there are no "Pilgrims" in the game.

I would argue that there was a very conscious move away from Firekkans when Origin tried to franchise Wing Commander -- I believe dropping them from Super Wing Commander was a conscious design. Someone felt the "alien races all look like big animals" concept was silly (and heck, I can't rightly disagree).

Pilgrims is an interesting suggestion, but again you need to remember the setting. Pioneer is in ~2650, so there are certainly Pilgrims around... but this is some years before the radical neo-McDanielite movement makes itself known, so as with stealth fighters or Kilrathi defectors they're ultimately going to be a non-issue in terms of story.

Back