Land of the Dead

Has anyone seen pictures from the upcoming City of the Dead game? George Romero's involved with the making of it, and I must say that it looks pretty damn sweet. FPS game where you run around the city and shoot zombies, trying to survive. It's coming out for PC, Xbox, and PS2.

What about it did you think looked sweet? There's half a dozen other zombie games in the works, and I think City of the Dead is pretty average among them.

If Romero weren't involved, it would just seemingly be another RE clone.

Unfortunately, I think City of the Dead is gonna suck, but I sure hope not.

On the PC Gamer board, we made a big thread what we would want in a zombie game, if you go there, you can probably find it... not sure of the name.

PC Gamer. What a joke.

I stopped subscribing to them two years ago. The magazine has really gone downhill.

ChrisReid said:
What about it did you think looked sweet? There's half a dozen other zombie games in the works, and I think City of the Dead is pretty average among them.

Going around, killing zombies on my Xbox. That's good enough, especially since Capcom doesn't make Resident Evil games for the Xbox, but since George Romero's involved, this could be pretty awesome. I'll wait and read the reviews before buying though.

I'm a zombie fan, and I'm really looking forward to Land of the Dead. Romero's Dead movies are some of my faves. Another favorite is Lucio Fulci's "Zombi 2," but avoid his pretty terrible "Zombi 3," and the even worse "Zombi 4," by Bruno Mattei. Fulci's "Gates of Hell" is pretty good, too, but the ending makes no sense. I need to check out "The Beyond," however, I've heard it's one of Fulci's best.

Hmmm... 28 Days Later was good, but I agree that it lost something when they got to the military base. Also should be noted, it's not an undead movie. They're just crazy people.

I just watched Life Force, and after that I don't think I'll ever need to see another zombie movie again.

Jacob said:
Going around, killing zombies on my Xbox. That's good enough, especially since Capcom doesn't make Resident Evil games for the Xbox, but since George Romero's involved, this could be pretty awesome. I'll wait and read the reviews before buying though.

I don't think that changes how "There's half a dozen other zombie games in the works, and I think City of the Dead is pretty average among them" though. It doesn't look particularly bad, but there's just a lot of zombie competition now.

Have you seen Dead Rising for the XBox 360? It's Capcom's next-generation zombie franchise. It even takes place partially in a mall! You run around the mall finding all kinds of stuff (guns, lawn mowers, etc) to mow down tons of zombies. They had scenes with over 300 zombies in play at E3, and they say they'll be upping that even more for the final release. There are some great screenshots here, but there's also an awesome 1280x720 high definition video floating around too. http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/gallery/1169/Dead-Rising/p1/

Even if you're not getting an XBox 360 right away, there's going to be great zombie games on the regular XBox later this year. http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/rebelwithoutapulse/index.html
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse: "Powered by an updated Halo engine, this third-person action game lets you play as a zombie named Stubbs. Stubbs can use his undead body as a weapon, possess characters, and eat his enemies' brains to make them join his army." Stubbs won "Best Use of Zombies" in GameSpot's E3 2005 Awards.

Both of the above should be out before the City of the Dead game.

Well, I seen it last night. A little disappointed. I knew beforehand it wasn't gonna be as good as Night/Dawn/Day, so I was expecting it to be a little worse than those. It was worse than my estimation. Too little character development, personally, I didn't care if anyone died. If it had the character development like Dawn and Day had, this movie woulda been right up there. Another problem, probably just for me, is that it looked really Hollywood, too much steadycam.

One of the things that people have to realize about Romero is that in his films the people mean squat. We all know that these people have lives, loves, hopes, dreams, blah blah blah blah blah, but in the end they exist as warm bodies to represent an Archetype and possibly feed the living dead. I was glad to see that the actors recognized this too as most of the interviews I saw for the film consisted of them pushing the film and skimming over their characters, avoiding the ego trip and promoting the work.
And hey, how about the zombies being almost completely Canadian cast? Nice to see Boyd Banks getting the old stumble and groan going on. :p

While I did personally find Romeros underlying message to be a little bit more heavy handed than, say, Night, I did find that it was something that was done with his usual skill.

My complaints about the films consist mainly of its short runtime, and there wasn't enough eating of the Bourge.

ZFGokuSSJ1 said:
Well, I seen it last night. A little disappointed. I knew beforehand it wasn't gonna be as good as Night/Dawn/Day, so I was expecting it to be a little worse than those. It was worse than my estimation. Too little character development, personally, I didn't care if anyone died. If it had the character development like Dawn and Day had, this movie woulda been right up there. Another problem, probably just for me, is that it looked really Hollywood, too much steadycam.

Maybe you don't really like zombie movies. All the reviews and feedback seem pretty positive so far.

Bad news for the City of the Dead video game. Having to switch publishers completely screws up more games than it lets slip by.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/11/news_6128838.html
After failing to strike a last-minute deal to bolster its shaky finances, Hip Interactive said it has ceased operations and would close its doors completely in short order. The company said this morning that "discussions with a third party to provide interim relief in respect of the Company's immediate financing needs were not successful."

The publisher had a number of high-profile games on its upcoming slate including Call of Cthulhu: Destiny's End, George Romero's City of the Dead, and Jackie Chan Adventures. There has been no word on which publishers are in line to pick up those and other games due from Hip.

Back