Land of the Dead

I think the nephelim are alot scarier than a bunch of hungry dead people rumbling about, but this movie actually looked kinda good.

BTW, they said the director started this genre, so what was the first one? Just curious...

Yeah.. this one is something of a big deal because the director pretty much invented zombie movies with Night of the Living Dead back 1968. The Dawn of the Dead movie released last year was a remake of his second Zombie movie. This will be his fourth, twenty years after the last one.

I'm interested. His "Dead" movies are excellent - well, Day Of... was good, but not excellent - and it's nice to have him back in the director's chair.

The remake of Dawn was better than I expected but still isn't as good as the original.

I still can't get over the fact the zombies in Dawn '04 ran.

Other than running zombies, it's an okay good movie.

Speaking of remakes, DAY IS GONNA BE REMADE. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing... if they used Romero's original Day script... it'd be a VERY good thing.

To figure which DVDs to get if you wanna get up to date on the Dead series, get THESE:
B00005Y6Y2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0002IQNAG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00008G8L9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sadly, Ive never seen the Millennium Edition of Night. I picked up the GODAWFUL Anchor Bay one with the additional pick-up footage done in 1997 and the new score. It's really godawful.

Anchor Bay made up for that with the Dawn set you have pictured there. You get a LOT for the $40 you spend on that little set. It's well worth the money in my opinion, but theres two problems: The extended cut doesn't have the musical score by Goblin and all the discs lack subtitles (I love subtitles).

For a number of reasons. Sometimes I keep odd hours and I don't want to wake up the house by watching, say, Runaway Train or The Battle Of Brittian or Thief. So I keep the volume low and turn on subtitles. It's also great if you don't hear dialouge or if it's muffeled or whatnot (Just not in the end of Lost In Translation)

Also, it can help you learn French. (Kinda)

Yeah, every DVD I have must have subtitles. I don't have a problem hearing, but I notice that I catch more details with them on. I learn characters' names more quickly and can associate them with faces better. Some people think they're a distraction, but I find the exact opposite. I can read the text quickly, then focus on the scene without having to watch and listen together. I let the sound provide the atmosphere rather than the plot.

Subtitles I think are one of those things that you just don't like till you start using them. I never watch movies at home without them now. TV shows especially.

I love zombie movies by the way. I think Day of the Dead was actually pretty good. I didn't like the remake of Dawn of the Dead that much. Return of the Living Dead scared me really bad when I was a kid.

28 Days Later is a fantastic zombie movie I think. Though they're not necassarily zombies I guess.

28 Days Later completely lost it's focus when they get to the military encampment. Before that its pretty great - after that its pretty awful.

That's part of what I found interesting about it though. It made it more interesting to me that getting away from the infected wasn't their only concern anymore, but now they had to contend with these immature power-tripping military guys. And it's like in a lot of zombie movies where if everyone merely worked together they could probably all pull through alive but then at least one person in the group gets all selfish and ruins it for everyone.

Theres nothing wrong with the military part per se. But then the soldiers want to gangbang with an 11 year old girl? And then the main character goes feral? What the hell kind of logic is all that?

Subtitles are the best, I watch everything with subtitles. Anyone who doesn't like subtitles are just missing out.

28 Days Later is one of the best horror movie to come out thus far into the 21st century, the beginning of the guy walking through London with no one there... holy crap, how did they do that? I LOVE the sense of isolationism and the world plunging into an apocalypse.... In fact, that's my only horror love: apocalypse.

Others great horror movies from 2000 on: Shaun of the Dead and Cabin Fever.

As far as the main guy going feral, haven't you ever been maybe nighthiking and you started to get really spooked cause you kept hearing noises or you mind was playing tricks on you? And you wonder if something scary is going to jump out and get you. In those situations, it helps to convince yourself in your own ability to scare the other things that are out there too.

Perhaps the main character was just getting himself all psyched up so he could get all daring and attempt to rescue his friends. He sort of embraced what was scary about this surroundings and rolled with it.

I love subtitles as well. They really help me understand the movie better and quicker.

I saw part of commercial for Land of the Dead earlier this evening. I'm intrigued.

I definitely want to see it. My favorite zombie look ever came from the Resident Evil games. I couldn't understand why in the movie they changed the way they looked. Instead they just looked like dirty wet people who hissed at you. As opposed to the really decayed looking zombies with cataract eyes and sometimes they just said, "Brains."

I barely remember a scene from Return of the Living Dead where they capture one of the zombies and ask her why she wants brains. And she replied with a very smooth voice (you think it'd be raspy or something) how they need brains cause without them they can't feel themselves and it drives them crazy. Like their whole body was numb. I liked the way the zombies looked in that film too.

I guess there must be some major difference in the zombies that are that way cause they get some virus or disease and the ones that just come out of the grave. Interesting stuff I think.

Theres a neat roleplaying game called "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" with two really great zombie short story books.

Back