Lance? Dragon? Which is it?

Hmmm... Lance fighter.... Lance Casey... Wasn't there an old script where Casey was going to have been from the GE programe? - I wonder if the name came from that...

Hmmm... Lance fighter.... Lance Casey... Wasn't there an old script where Casey was going to have been from the GE programe? - I wonder if the name came from that...

I don't think that can possibly be. Lance as a fighter name is a Forstchen/Ohlander thing, not something from a script. And I believe the GE thing you're thinking of was a fanfic that was posturing itself as a preliminary script. So I don't think the connection works on either end here.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying Loaf, I just saw it as an interesting (possible) connection. I wasn't aware that the GE idea was actually a fanfic.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying Loaf, I just saw it as an interesting (possible) connection. I wasn't aware that the GE idea was actually a fanfic.

It might have actually been one of the WC online or Privateer Online concepts. I seem to remember one of them having a proposed Black Lance faction with Casey clones running around... But it sure does sound a mighty lot like a fanfic. Either way it's not official.

I don't think that can possibly be. Lance as a fighter name is a Forstchen/Ohlander thing, not something from a script. And I believe the GE thing you're thinking of was a fanfic that was posturing itself as a preliminary script. So I don't think the connection works on either end here.
I think it was the first draft of the real script, actually, one of the ones in the CIC archives. Either way, it only matters as a bit of historical trivia, since it disappeared long before the script was done.

It was from a real early Wing Commander V treatment, but...

* Chris is right, the novelists didn't have any inside information on what Origin was planning. There would be an occasional meeting about a particular book, but nothing beyond that.

* It would have bee written well after the Wing Commander IV novelization anyway. The book was actually written while the game was being developed--which is why the authors only had access to the shooting script (when the game was delayed two months the book was pushed back on the publishing schedule and could't make it out until much later in the year... but it was done in December 95).

* The character's name in the early Prophecy drafts wasn't Lance Casey, it was "Tom Dane".

Back