Labels, Press, and Progress

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
For our update this week, we have several things we would like to share with you. First, we are happy to provide you with a DVD case cover that we have created for the WC Saga prologue. We know that for many people having a customized case add to the experience of having a game, so we have made this with you in mind. We will also release a CD label in short order. You can pick the DVD cover up here.

Second, we wanted to share the news that Wing Commander Saga’s Prologue was included on the CD that is a part of the February 2007 issue of Mac World. The editors of Mac World seem to be pretty excited about Saga, and their description of the Prologue was enthusiastic and generous. You can see their small CD feature at http://www.macworld.co.uk/cd/

mar07-CD-200w.gif

Third, we wanted to let you know that we are hard at work on the full campaign. There are a few exciting developments in the works that we will share with you as they come to fruition. In the mean time, we are putting our voice actors to work. We are still open to the possibility of new voice actors joining our efforts, so if you are a voice actor who wants to take part in our project and you haven’t contacted us recently, we would be glad to hear from you.

This is excellent news, since it will expose WC Saga to a huge group of people who otherwise may never have heard of it.

I really do hope EA sees this as a sign that it's time to do something with the Wing commander franchise again, and develop a new game.

(hopefully having the Saga team work on it! :D

Have you worked this out legally? It seems like the kind of press that could get you in a lot of trouble.

Have you worked this out legally? It seems like the kind of press that could get you in a lot of trouble.

To tell you the truth: I found it out only two days ago. *shrugs*

But: Priv Remake was on the cover CD of the Gamestar (special Linux edition) last year.

To tell the truth, I only e-mailed Mac World and told them what was going on. I just suggested mentioning it or having a link. They gave us positive feedback, and said they would promote the game. We never even discussed the idea of releasing it on their CD, and they did it without even mentioning it to us, so we were just as surprised as anyone else. So far, things have gone without a hitch. As far as I can tell, though, we should be in the clear. The FS2 SCP engine is now free to the public, and we have done all we could to give credit to the orignial designers of both FS and WC, and have given credit for the orignial model designs to their creators, and so forth. We have followed all the "legal-ese" descriptions that we could find to make things in the clear.

I am not a lawyer, but have had some experience with law. As far as I can tell, if someone wanted to pick a fight about this, it would have to be with Mac World and not with us. They receive money for selling their magazine, which includes the CD. None of us have ever or will ever receive any money for Saga. So, if someone decides to take issue with what Mac World has done, it will be their battle, not ours. I can only hope that they ran the decision past their legal department, as well. But, as I have said, we have done all we could find to do to make our project fully legal.

At the same time, I want to express my grattiude to Mac World for their support of us and our project. Thanks, guys! :)

Back