KS Disc Changing

RiotAct218

Spaceman
I was playing KS WC3 and the cd tray won't open when it asks to change cds. This happened to me once before, but with Prophecy. What's the problem?

Yep, that's how it goes. The cd drive is fine, works with all my other games. Maybe I'll just shut my PC down for a while... I work it hard.

It seems to be a problem with your CD-ROM drive. The eject button is a mechanic thing that is supposed to stop the CD and open the tray even when the CD is running.

Originally posted by Starkey
It seems to be a problem with your CD-ROM drive. The eject button is a mechanic thing that is supposed to stop the CD and open the tray even when the CD is running.

CD button? Mechanic?! No SIR!
Try a CDWriter and use Direct CD to see what I mean. The PC can override the eject button at any time.
Same for the eject button of a ZIP drive and for the power button on an ATX system BTW.

Sometimes Windows lock the CD eject, because there is a program that is running from the cd or have access to it. (Like an open file). To eject the cd, you can right-click the cd-rom drive in My Computer and click eject. You can also yell at it and makes threats to either destroy it or change it. Works for me :D

You can also open a paper clip and insert it into the little hole in the front of the CD-ROM. That´ll open the tray, but don´t use it often, it is supposed to be an emergency-only procedure.

I was talking about regular CD-ROM drives...

Oh, it can happen with them as well. Just that for CD-Burners it can be reproduced at will. That is why I used that example. I had it 4-5 times on my DVD drive as well.

Originally posted by K1nG Gr4H4m
Sometimes Windows lock the CD eject, because there is a program that is running from the cd or have access to it. (Like an open file). To eject the cd, you can right-click the cd-rom drive in My Computer and click eject.

Usually doesn't work. In my experience you have to click the eject button in the application that locked the drive. But that one is usually crashed ;P

You can also open a paper clip and insert it into the little hole in the front of the CD-ROM. That´ll open the tray, but don´t use it often, it is supposed to be an emergency-only procedure.

Yeah. That is the brute method. But as you should not do that while the PC is on, try to turn it off and on again first. Then press eject while it is rebooting.

I found that it won't let me eject the cd regardless, but I found a fail-safe way to do it. I just hit Alt-Esc when it asks me, and it minimizes the window. Then it says "Eject request for drive that is in use, continue with request?" and then it works. I finally did beat KS WC3, and I lost in another game. That's depressing.

Back