KS...CD1 WC2 folder kaput...PLEASE HELP!

Mordrid

Spaceman
Hey guys -

I finally got Kilrathi Saga off of Ebay after trying for THREE YEARS. Kicking Myself for letting it go all those years ago.

PROBLEM:
The first CD has a slight crack at the outer edge. Most of the files are still readable. I can install WC1 & WC3 without a hitch and things run great. BUT...Many of the files under

E:\WC2\GAMEDAT\

are bad, preventing installing & running WC2. The root WC2 and WC2\STREAMS\ directories are fine.

Is there anyway I can get these files? That way I can hopefully make a replacement CD. I don't suppose anyone would be kind enough to zip up the WC2\GAMEDAT folder and send it to me or post it somewhere? I don't think I can use my original WC2 CD because as I remember, the music and sounds were different in KS.

Rest assured this IS a legit copy. You can view the auction I won at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8208258864&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1 and at the bottom of the CD under the Origin LOGO it says "EA 565107".

I know I can just play the DOS versions under DOSBox ( I have 3.5" floppy and CD 's of WC 1 & 2 Deluxe), but would really like to play the KS version again.

SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

-Dj
"Mordrid"

Try copying the files over to your hard drive and make a list of which ones don't transfer properly. Send us the list in a couple days once the birthday stuff blows over and we can look into it.

hello there,
check out this site "www.the-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~" look up wing commander they have a spot where you can get the individual files if you need them. Its all supposed to be legal as the games/ files they have for download are out of license. hope that helps

Ok, I did as you suggested and found that the files BUTTONS.V00, COMMUNIC.S03, COMMUNIC.S04, A bunch of the SFX**.WAV's, SHIP.V00-.V06, TITLE.VGA, & WING2.TIM were the files that wouldn't copy. There were more, but the ones that wouldn't copy before did copy when I copied them 1 file at a time under dos command. The entire wc4 demo directory won't copy either, but it seems unnecessary.

I searched around and found copies of these files online, copied them to a temp folder, and burned a new WCKS1 CD. SO FAR everything seems OK, but I'm kind of leary about using files from the net instead of from someone here with a legit copy.

I also emailed the seller on Ebay and she apoligized & said she'd send me a replacement CD1 as soon as she can, so that's good. I don't think it was her fault, it probably got cracked during shipment. Just realized that the jewel case insert is missing from the 1st CD as well. Guess I should have inquired more before I bid.

I should have NEVER got rid of my WC stuff, I've spent over $420 in the past 3 years rebuilding my Wing Commander Collection. Ugh. Live & Learn.

-Dj
"Mordrid"

If the game runs, you should be okay. I wouldn't be surprised if certain music cut out down the line, but Kilrathi Saga is actually pretty good about running with just the core files. You can actually use files off the DOS WC3 to replace corrupt KS ones, and if you don't have the music, it'll just run without it, so I think you'll be okay.

Thanks, Chris.

No problems with music so far in WC2, and WC3KS is running like a champ in 95 compat. mode (figured it would as the WC3 install files on CD1 were OK).

In fact, seems to run better. I don't remember WC3KS running this well. But then again, that was back when my PC was a P166 w/ an S3 vid card. :D

Keep up the great work on the site, it's been at least a weekly visit for me for almost 4 years. Again, happy b-day!

-Dj
"Mordrid"

Back