Krant

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Well, I lost my previous model of the Krant when a Hard drive failed a year or so ago. It wasn't that good anyway so it wasn't much of a loss. Anyway, I decided I would try to make a new one. Here's the beginnings. The texture obviously isn't permanent, just something I slapped on. The basic shape is the Krant. You can tell where I took some liberties on the model. I.e. armor plating, vents etc. I still have a lot of work to do but thought I'd show the beginning here. Right now the model is 4,000 polys. I'm trying to target around 18,000 or so when I finish.

krant2.jpg

krant1.jpg

krant.jpg

Great work, very nice.
Is that two cockpits I see? I never realized... is it really a two seater? really?

I think there's been a debate or two on the matter of two cockpits. The diagram from WC1 shows clearly one cockpit but because of the way it splits to show the bottom half it doesn't define whether there is another cockpit on the other "neck" My personal preference is for two cockpits but that doesn't mean it's so. Since the specs we have on the Krant doesn't say whether the ship is a two person craft we can' go by that either. If someone has more or more precise information I'd be interested in seeing it.

The Krant definitely has two cockpits. Whether or not this is what the creators intended is anyone's guess (it is possible this was forced on them because of technological limitations - all WC1 ships had to be symmetrical), but whatever the intentions, the ship ended up with two cockpits.

Even more telling, the VDU diagram (with no symmetry requirement) highlights two separate cockpits in blue.

WOW !
I have no artistic ability , so , to see something this professional
looking made for love of a game(s) is just amazing !!

Again it makes me so glad to have found this place .

Yeah Striker...I'll look forward to the finished model!

Does the 2nd Kilrathi play the part of Radar Intercept Officer, flight engineer......?

Does the 2nd Kilrathi play the part of Radar Intercept Officer, flight engineer......?

... if we knew that, then there probably wouldn't be any debate as to whether or not he exists in the first place. :)

Another option might be bombadier, on the dive bomber variant. On the other hand, TCH claims of the Krant that "Their life-support systems are capable of supporting a Kilrathi for about 15 hours."... which may mean that that cockpit is unoccupied.

Maybe the second cockpit is only used when you fly a Krant in the territory of one of those crazy clans that drive on the left-hand side of the road :).

Quarto said:
Maybe the second cockpit is only used when you fly a Krant in the territory of one of those crazy clans that drive on the left-hand side of the road :).

Or, for the Kilrathi, the crazies could be those who drive on the right. :D

Funny. :) I was thinking that perhaps the Krant might serve as their "training" figher. While training new pilots, the trainer sits in the other cockpit to help instruct and in an emergency take control of the fighter. When flying combat missions its typically unoccupied. It makes sense to me. :) However, the other possibilities listed above make equal sense. Here's a slight update, nothing major.

krant5.jpg

Maj.Striker said:
Funny. :) I was thinking that perhaps the Krant might serve as their "training" figher. While training new pilots, the trainer sits in the other cockpit to help instruct and in an emergency take control of the fighter. When flying combat missions its typically unoccupied.
Well, yeah, I suppose given that Confed uses Scimitars as trainers, the Kilrathi might use their Scimitar-equivalents as trainers too. Though personally, I kinda prefer the notion that in some combat missions, a Krant requires a second cat for some reason.

On a trivial note, the Krant is one of only two Kilrathi ships that we know have a co-pilot seat (turret gunner seats being something different altogether), the other being the Korlarh from Armada.

So if one cat pulled the stick one way, and the other pulled the other way, would the fighter split in two?

Maybe its like the Intrepid, in this case two fighters joined together.

Nah,

I'm going to stop spouting foolish theories now and simply say that its a nice looking model.

Back