Korean Movie Poster Found (April 29, 2007)

Cpl Hades

Mr. Kat
While searching the internet, AD stumbled across a neat poster that most people haven't seen before: the Korean WC movie poster. It's totally different from any of the other posters, and it doesn't actually include anything recognizable, but it's a great addition to the collection. It's great that over eight years on, we're still seeing movie products that are new to most of us. Feel free to click the Discuss link below and provide a translation if you can.

--
Original update published on April 29, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Attempt at translation

My Korean's shabby, but here's a go.

Top, with two red lines through it:
It's unbelievable! You can't imagine it! (something to that effect)

below that:
Summer 2000.
New Age SF (Sci Fi???) huge action is coming.

further below:
<Titanic><The 5th Element><Starship Troopers>
Hollywood (?????? can't make out a couple symbols)

big white script above Wing Commander:
Wing Commander (go figure, huh)

The very bottom is unreadable for me. Again, my Korean is shabby, but I believe that's the gist of it. Do please correct any mistakes.

Yo.

Good find, AD. While the exact artwork is not representative of the film's visuals, it's neat that the local promoters have gone to the trouble of producing a custom design, increasing the variation of posters made for the film. The fighter reminds me of the Bearcat.

I noticed in this poster and a couple of the other localised versions that Universal Studios get credited, rather than Fox -- was this likely due to local distribution rights or something else?

Cheers,

Bryn

I noticed in this poster and a couple of the other localised versions that Universal Studios get credited, rather than Fox -- was this likely due to local distribution rights or something else?

Kind of... In fact it's quite common for different companies to split the domestic/international distribution rights. So in the case of Outlander, The Weinstein Company has The distribution rights in North America, whereas Wild Bunch is shopping around the international rights to various local distributors.

In Wing Commander's case, Fox was the north american distributor and Universal was supposed to handle all the international stuff, though I believe there was a bit of a spat over that too. Notice that on some of the posters (like the spanish ones) that there is the Screen Gems logo. Screen Gems is a Sony distribution company...

below that:
Summer 2000.

further below:

The very bottom is unreadable for me. Again, my Korean is shabby, but I believe that's the gist of it. Do please correct any mistakes.

Yo.

Cool.. I take it your name is Yo? Anyway thanks for comming up with something so quickly. It certainly sounds like a completely different marketing aproach to that taken in North America and Europe.

Cool.. I take it your name is Yo? Anyway thanks for comming up with something so quickly. It certainly sounds like a completely different marketing aproach to that taken in North America and Europe.

Nope, you can call me bushes. Just hadn't registered yet. I just always use 'yo' to sign off.

That's awesome.

By the way, when I said "It's unbelievable! You can't imagine it!" I meant either/or, not both. I hope that was clear with the exclamation marks.

Yo.

further below:

Okay, I just realized I could enlarge the pic (I'm a bit slow sometimes). The bit under the <> movies says "Hollywood's strongest production" (I believe it refers to the fact that it's a Hollywood film). Interestingly, the writing at the bottom isn't Korean, or at least, it sure doesn't look Korean. The only site where I could find the poster was a Korean language site, so I don't know what it is.

Yo.

Interestingly, the writing at the bottom isn't Korean, or at least, it sure doesn't look Korean.

Nope, wrong again. :p After a lot of squinting, I was able to make out Freddie Prinze Jr, Saffron Burrows, Matthew Lillard, and Tcheky Karyo in the top line, so the production credits are in Korean. This is beginning to occupy too much of my time. :)

Yo.

below that:
Summer 2000.

further below:

Yo.

Hi... I'm WC Fan from Korea(South, of course)

That poster says like this...

Top:
Don't imagine it!
Summer, 2000, Huge new-age SF action is coming...

Middle:
<Titanic><Fifth Element><Starship Troopers>
Created from Hollywood's most talented crew

Bottom:
Wing Commander

Credits

Hi... I'm WC Fan from Korea(South, of course)

That poster says like this...

Top:
Don't imagine it!
Summer, 2000, Huge new-age SF action is coming...

Middle:
<Titanic><Fifth Element><Starship Troopers>
Created from Hollywood's most talented crew

Bottom:
Wing Commander

Credits

Nice to see Wingnuts from so many different places on the world :D

Back