Kilrathi vs. Terran ship design...

Preacher

Swabbie
Banned
Folks:
You'll note that the Kiltathi ships flown in WC tend to be mostly symmetrical thru WC 1& 2; beginning w/ WC3, they change to asymmetrical. The "Victory Streak" provides the supposed reason why. It seems the asymmetrical, "guns bristling", clawlike appearance of most of 'em are due to Kilrathi's warlike worldview, and how making 'em that way has a supposedly psychological, intimidating effect on their enemies, given their somewhat "scary" appearance as such. This explanation was supposedly given by Hobbes. However, there's a continuity break here, 'cuz (as I pointed out), the ships of WC1 &2 ARE mostly symmetrical.... WHy the diff?--probably someone @ Origin didn't notice, or they simply decided it would be cooler to do it that way nonetheless.
Some have griped that the Terran ships are far too "aerodynamic-looking" for space craft, given that there's no need for such in space. There's two things to keep in mind here. First, you just know Terran designers are gonna bring the cultural bias with them to the design table. For "centuries" (supposedly, by then), man has HAD TO design ships w/ aerodynamic looks, because they were mostly limited to atmospheric flight, and good aerodynamics (Read: Lower coefficient of drag, or cD) was a necessity. By the time man would be producing enough "space" craft, we'd be just too "used to" looking at aerodynamic designs. And let's face it: Aerodynamically designed ships just plain LOOK COOLER than the alternative. Why wouldn't we bring that preference with us into the space age?... Two, several Terran fighters (in WC 3 & 4) are atmospheric-flight capable. This is even more so in the novels ("Fleet Action", "Freedom Flight"), I was surprised to find out. There you have it.

-Preacher

Kilrathi ships were symmetrical to keep the memory used by the sprites to a minimum. ;)

Terran ships are often aerodynamic so they are also capable of atmospheric flight, if not combat. Also to look nice. :)

[While we're speaking of ship design, do the self-articulating nacelles (aka rotating engine pods) seem to move a bit too fast? They increase the manoeuvrability of the Vampire and Panther by a great amount, but I think machinery that size should move a bit slower, else at the rate we're going, Terran fighters will manoeuvre like a Lamprey in the future!]

[Edited by Wedge009 on 08-06-2001 at 23:03]

Well, I know this probably is a moot point and has nothing to do with design; but Terran ships have perty colors.

Seriously, Terran ships tend to have a green color scheme(although other colors can get thrown in, remember the Epees?) and Kilrathi ships tend to have a orange color scheme.

Confed's fleet were mainly green in WC1/2, but I think they didn't bother painting them any more after Privateer.

There was paint. The hellcats and Longbows both had yellow stripes. The Excaliber was a darker grey than the other fighters, although that may have been the hull and not paint. I don't recall what the Victory was painted at this time, but I believe she did have paint on her somewhere. I'm pretty sure the Behemoth was blue and the Vesuvius was green. I dunno, I'd really need to play these games again to remember the colors from WC3 onward. They were just a bit more vivid in the early animated games.

Well, aside from stripes and stuff, ships and fighters in WC3/4 were mostly gray, I do believe. And, if you ask me, the ships in WC4 were ugly.

Well, no one asked. ;) What's so bad about them? We're already familiar with the Confed stuff, so I assume you're talking about the Border World ships. Although, the texturing on the capital ships was pretty bad. So grainy.

The texturing? Yeah, I agree with you on that.

[But it was only on the capships, the fighters weren't bad.]

[Edited by Wedge009 on 08-06-2001 at 23:44]

I liked the look of the ships in WC4 (especially the banshee).

Space ships don't need to be aerodynamic because there is very little friction in space.

The Kilrathi had some cool ships too.

Um, yeah, I think I made that point--in fact, for the record, there's NO friction in space (unless you're at the outer edge of a planets atmosphere)

The design of the ships in WC are usually pretty cool, but in WC4 the texturing definitly sucked. I always get the impression that the capships are made out of bricks.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Kilrathi ships were symmetrical to keep the memory used by the sprites to a minimum.
And that's actually no joke!!
As Quarto explained once, they use "half" of the ship to be stored in memory, and they "mirror" it to get the other half i.e. the full ship...

Not a bad way to do things in the old days... :)

Originally posted by Dralthi5
Well, aside from stripes and stuff, ships and fighters in WC3/4 were mostly gray, I do believe. And, if you ask me, the ships in WC4 were ugly.

A reason in itself to defect to the Border Worlds sooner :)

Mind you, the Avenger was horrible though... Banshee had a nice design though.

... hmm, wtf, double post.

... okay and I cant delete the danm thing either... oh well :p

[Edited by akashra on 08-07-2001 at 08:32]

Of course they didn't paint them after WC3... In WC3 (and 2) Pilots actually ejected :p

Pilots would always just sacrifice themselves in WC1, therefore the ship would only ever get painted once :D

Originally posted by akashra
Of course they didn't paint them after WC3... In WC3 (and 2) Pilots actually ejected :p

I never ejected from WC2 onward. I ejected thousands of times in 1 and I cut down on the ejecting on WC2 because if you do it enough, Tolwyn sends you back to the system security station.

Actually I was sorta referring to the wingmen you fly with. One that comes straight to mind is Stingray... coward <g>

Yeah, you can only eject twice in WCP:SO.

The first time, they give you a cheery greeting, and the second, you get one of those "marine-yells".

I didn't eject often enough in WC2...how many times must you eject?

Originally posted by KrisV
Wing Commander Secret Ops, god damn it.
Might as well give it up, Kris. As many times as this issue has been pointed out and corrected, it appears there are those who just don't get it.

Back