Kilrathi Saga sucks..(?)

LarkInFlight

Rear Admiral
Hello,
I bought Kilrathi Saga recently in order to play Wing 1 & 2 under modern system. The game starts fine uder my Windows XP, but.. Has anyone noticed that there are no planets, stars, etc. in the wing 1 & 2 background? Also, the "enemy shot down" music in Wing 1 hangs up frequently.. What is the matter with this game? Is there any way to fix this? Any patch? Please, I thought I could play Wings 1 & 2 just I used to play it few years ago (decades ago I sould say;) ). I'd love to play all Wings one after another and KS is obviously my only way to do this..

Regards,

Paul

Kilrathi Saga isn't a great choice for playing Wing Commander in Windows XP. It was an early and very rough Windows 95 conversion of the games. It's much easier and a better experience to play the original WC and WC2 in Windows XP under DOSBox.

No, but like loaf said, it's very easy to play the originals in DOSBox. They're very stable and they have none of those problems. They're much much cheaper than Kilrathi Saga on ebay too.

I've never really understood anyone's objections against the KS set... it worked perfectly for me, beginning to end. The only problem I came across was that my CD drives firmware was so old, it couldn't read CD-R's properly. A quick and easy replacement later, and the games were working fine.

Of course, I run linux instead of windows now, so I'm not sure how it'll run under WINE. But hey, I'll have some time to test it later.

Yeah, the game isn't broken, it's just no longer ideal. It works well for most people and was the primary solution for several years at least. But there are issues with the music, graphics and control input that some people encounter that do not exist in the original DOS versions. Kilrathi Saga is also often more expensive than picking up the DOS versions on their own, and getting them to work in DOSBox is generally no more difficult than setting up KS to work in XP. KS is a must-buy for collectors, and people who already own it and play it are already set, but people who are just trying to play the original WC games are probably better off searching for the DOS versions.

DOS versions of WC1 and WC2 are available at Ebay and Amazon for great prices. Last February I purchased WC2 Deluxe off of Amazon for 82 cents (a steal if ever there was one). And like it's already been said, they're easy to run on DosBox.

I tried out the KS version of WC2 sometime ago and it just wasn't working properly at all. WC1 was perfect though. In WC2 the keys would lock up repeatedly, the music and the sound were terrible, at one point there was loud obnoxious computerized shrieks whenever I fired my guns :p .

Here's a link to WC2 Deluxe on Amazon selling for 19 cents. I mean, come on. The price is so low it's almost insulting :).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5349/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9095943-3015802?ie=UTF8

The copy of WC1 on Amazon is much more expensive but there's cheaper ones off of Ebay. My strong advice to you is to get the originals then read the "Run Old Games" walkthrough on the CIC main page (https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6042). And if you have trouble then come back to this forum and the Wingnuts here will help you out quite speedily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree that DOSbox is a better alternative to play WC1&2 on Windows XP. Two reasons:

If you have an older PC there will be some performance problems. (Don't laugh, it's true; emulation needs WAY more CPU power than native)
Non-USB Joysticks don't work very well with DOSbox.

Someone said, some bugs with the music that are in the Kilrathi Saga, but not in the DOS version. However, there have always been some minor bugs with the music, e.g. in some missions it gives the cheerful music when you fly back to the Claw, despite you were unsuccesful.
Also Kilrathi Saga doesn't seen to have that "stack problem", which in very crowded situations will make your fire-button not work. (See the asteroid encounter in that dreaded "Saving the Ralari" mission).

I disagree that DOSbox is a better alternative to play WC1&2 on Windows XP. Two reasons:

If you have an older PC there will be some performance problems. (Don't laugh, it's true; emulation needs WAY more CPU power than native)
Non-USB Joysticks don't work very well with DOSbox.

These would mostly be valid problems in 2003. Joysticks or computers made since then would not have these issues trying to run WC1/2 in DOSBox in Windows.

I've never really understood anyone's objections against the KS set... it worked perfectly for me, beginning to end. The only problem I came across was that my CD drives firmware was so old, it couldn't read CD-R's properly. A quick and easy replacement later, and the games were working fine.

Of course, I run linux instead of windows now, so I'm not sure how it'll run under WINE. But hey, I'll have some time to test it later.

So, Kilrathi saga works in Linux? I plan to change my computer soon and i want to use Linux as my OS.

Also Kilrathi Saga doesn't seen to have that "stack problem", which in very crowded situations will make your fire-button not work. (See the asteroid encounter in that dreaded "Saving the Ralari" mission).

Oh, the stack problem is definitely there, my friend. Especially in that save the Ralari mission.

Oh, the stack problem is definitely there, my friend. Especially in that save the Ralari mission.

Yes, I recall that bug in this mission, too. (Also KS)
But hey, perhabs there will be a background patch for KS one day. We already had that Snakeir patch for the KS version of Secret Misions 2. :)

well, don't anybody say the WC 1 and 2 are cheap. I just checked ebay.de, some people here think that due to it's rarity they must sell these games for 40 - 80 € each :eek:

unfortunately, I cannot find auction where these games are sold for next to nothing

edit: since the KS versions are a bit buggy, I was just curious to know if anybody could play SM 2 on the winning path ( KS version)

well, don't anybody say the WC 1 and 2 are cheap. I just checked ebay.de, some people here think that due to it's rarity they must sell these games for 40 - 80 € each :eek:

unfortunately, I cannot find auction where these games are sold for next to nothing

edit: since the KS versions are a bit buggy, I was just curious to know if anybody could play SM 2 on the winning path ( KS version)

You will find that the KS version is always overpriced. You can always find the DOS CD of WC2 for cheap though: 99 Cents

Wing Commander 1 deluxe edition would be rather a rarity in europe, I spend some years trying to get the secret missions, and though I have found a few bundles on CD, one actually stating in the manual that it included SM1, but the CD did not.

Wing commander II Deluxe CD edition however had been selling for full price until WC3 showed up, and then disappeared from the store shelves completely.

Here at the local gamestop gamestore you can get descent used copies of wingIIDeluxe , ArmadaCD, and Prophecy for 20 euro's though.

As for germany, ask around. somebody is bound to have those games in their attic

Kilrathi Saga isn't a great choice for playing Wing Commander in Windows XP. It was an early and very rough Windows 95 conversion of the games. It's much easier and a better experience to play the original WC and WC2 in Windows XP under DOSBox.

Are the same problems regarding the controls, graphics, and sound present with KS if you run it in a virtual pc using either Win95 or Win98?

Yeah, the game just doesn't accept simultaneous key input and a couple things like that.

Back