Kilrathi Saga question

Nestor

Spaceman
First of all let me say, beause this is my first post here, that i refound my old love of Wing Commander games when I stumbled upon the site some weeks ago. I even downloaded the movies made by Queeg and watching them on tv. My son loves them, my wife, remembering me playing the games years ago (and her getting crazy by the sounds in our small apartment back then) somewhat less hehe.

In any case, I have been playing from scratch trough the wing commander 1 game and the secret missions. I do have the old diskettes but my machine here doesnt even have a diskette station anymore so I got a Kilrathi Saga box of an old friend.

I downloaded the secret missions from the site here and basically played to the Firekka victory. However when I wanted to start wing commander II I unfortunately could only transfer my main wing commander 1 character and not those from the secret missions. When I downloaded the patch for wing commander 2 here it changed to a dos version of the exe and under dosbox i could at least see the three options to choose (wing 1, sm1 or sm2) however I still could not transfer the sm2 savegame.

I understand that there are some compatability problems at work here i guess so I wonder is there a way around this, patch for saga made or another way to transfer my sm2 character to wing commander 2? While it isnt that much of an issue somehow I always liked to end up after Wing Commander 2 with more then a 1000 kills on the roster hehe.

thanks in advance,

Nestor

Always funny to reply to onceself but for those with the same problem I basically worked around it via a somewhat elaborate route.

First of all, in Kilrathi Saga all saves from wing commander 1 are saved in savegame.wld. However the transfer part of Wing Commander 2 seeks the Secret Missions 2 savegame by the name crusader.wld. So make a copy of the original savegame.wld and rename it crusader.wld.

Then download the patch for wc2 from this site and overwrite then the saga executable named wc2.exe

Run this program either in dosbox or doubleclicking on it. Transfer your secret missions 2 character. When done save that character.

I then proceeded in parking the wing commander 2 savegame temporarily someplace, uninstalling wing2 and reinstalling the KS part. Moved the savegame to the gamedata directory and voila.

As said totally elaborate but it works. Now I still need to take care of the fact my machine is a bit too fast for it to run without dll errors on exit or sound cracks :)

Nestor

I downloaded a savegame editor and moved my character back to the vega campaign. It worked then.

Alright. I think I've tried it all. I tried moving the WC1 directory to the WC2 folder (since that's my c:\ drive when I'm in DosBox). Nuthin. WC2 won't recognize any of the files. Tried loading my pilots from WC1, SM1, and SM2. Nuthin. Tried renaming both the crusade.wld and the savegame.wld files. Tried moving them into the WC2 directory to make the directory path shorter. Still nuthin. Anybody got any ideas? There's two threads about this, and I've tried most everything I can think of from both....

Someone made mention of a patch which may help in converting sm2 pilots to wc2 (it was for the kilrathi saga version, I think). Looked in the wcpedia, and there were a couple of patches which could fit that description. Anybody know which one it is?

Back