Kilrathi Saga on Vista

I have the Kilrathi Saga and I can't for the life of me get it to install using Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. Can anyone PLEASE help?!

Cheers,
SgtPepper

What have you done so far? Have you enabled compatibility mode on the installer file?

I can copy the WC1 and WC2 files to the hard disk and they run fine. But i cant get the Secret Missions or the Special Ops to run after that. I can't get WC3 to work using the same method (copyinh to hard disk) or by running in DosBox. Really stuck with WC3 and both the add on missions :(

Sorry for all these posts. I figured out what the compatibility mode meant! Managed to install WC1,2 & 3 and they all work perfectly, no problems. Special Ops 1&2 run fine alongside WC2. However, Secret Missions 1&2 don't run and neither does WC1(with the secret missions installed). I've tried running them as administrator and in Win95 compatibility mode and this appears to make no difference. Any suggestions?

Several people on this forum (including myself) have encountered this problem, but no one has been able to get the Kilrathi Saga versions of SM1 & SM2 to work under Vista. Sorry.

You could also run the DOS versions of SM1 & SM2 on Vista, or if you have access to a computer running XP, the Kilrathi Saga versions will work on that.

By the way, if you have any problems with WC3 crashing during FMV scenes, Mash's patch should help.

Last edited by a moderator:
After watching the movie about a week ago I really felt the urge to play the games again. So I just installed KS on my 32bit Vista, and the game (WC1) seems to work fine. Even the speed seems to be ok.

Now I've read in this forum that there's a problem with Vista concerning the Secret Missions. I've just started playing so it will take me a while to get through anyway, but I wondered if anyone found a solution yet. The problem that I'm experiencing (don't know if that's the same that has been talked about here) is that I cannot even find where to choose the Secret Missions in order to play them. Tried to find them on the CD but didn't see anything either. What am I overlooking?

After watching the movie about a week ago I really felt the urge to play the games again. So I just installed KS on my 32bit Vista, and the game (WC1) seems to work fine. Even the speed seems to be ok.

Now I've read in this forum that there's a problem with Vista concerning the Secret Missions. I've just started playing so it will take me a while to get through anyway, but I wondered if anyone found a solution yet. The problem that I'm experiencing (don't know if that's the same that has been talked about here) is that I cannot even find where to choose the Secret Missions in order to play them. Tried to find them on the CD but didn't see anything either. What am I overlooking?

They didn't come in the original package. The SM and SO packs for the Kilrathi Saga versions of WC1 and 2 respectively were originally available as free downloads from the EA website. You should be able to get them in the CIC's downloads section.

They didn't come in the original package. The SM and SO packs for the Kilrathi Saga versions of WC1 and 2 respectively were originally available as free downloads from the EA website. You should be able to get them in the CIC's downloads section.

They don't always appear to work though. I got the WC2 ones to work, but never the WC1 SMs.

I can get them all to work the problem I am having is with my mouse. When I load WC1 or WC2 the pointer in the game goes directly to the top left corner or the screen and I can't move it not even with the keyboard.

edit: Well I don't think its my mouse that is causing the problem. I disconnected my mouse and the pointer still went directly to the top left corner. If anybody has any suggestions please share. Thanks.

edit, edit: Well come to find out its my keyboard that is causing the problem. Has anybody else come across this issue? Own a Saitek Eclipse Keyboard.

Do you have special drivers for the keyboard? For some reason the game is probably thinking your keyboard is a joystick/mouse input device and (of course) it's not calibrated. Calibrating a joystick might fix it. If you have any control panel options for your keyboard that are unique to this model that can be disabled, I'd do that too. Same for adjusting anything in any Saitek background software.

No setting changes are available. Even checked with Saitek website, they don't even list any drivers or anything for my keyboard. O well might have to use a PS2 keyboard and see if that works.

Edit: Figured it out, some reason there were drivers installed for a Saitek Gamepad which I don't even own. Uninstalled in device manager and no more problems WOOHOO!!!

wing commander 2

Trying to figure out how to pick up ejected people on the keyboard I am left scratching my head

Trying to figure out how to pick up ejected people on the keyboard I am left scratching my head

You have to switch to your rear turret by pressing F4 (if your fighter has one... that means you are flying a Broadsword and possibly a Sabre). Then hit G to cycle your turret's guns to tractor beam, then when the escape pod is within the target you just pull the trigger and hold until the pod is tractored in.

http://download.wcnews.com/files/manuals/Wing%20Commander%20II%20-%20Quick%20Reference%20Card.pdf

WC4 and Privateer's tractor beams require more of the holding down. WC2 tends to grab and cut to a short movie clip if you catch it right, so if you are pulling the trigger and things aren't happening, you probably need to realign a bit.

Back