Kilrathi Saga on an XP machine?

Rayvyn

Spaceman
I think the title about says it all.

A write-up I read had said all three games in the Kilrathi Saga were remastered and retooled to run on more powerful Windows 95 machines.

Now, more than a decade later, I'm curious, would I be able to play it on my Windows XP based machine with a gig and a half processor?

I found it on Amazon for a truly ridiculous price. Of course, I'm more than willing to shell it out, IF I will be able to run it.

Other than that, I guess my option would be to find an old machine that was top of the line IN 1995, which seems like much more work than I'm willing to put into it.

Anyone know?

I think the title about says it all.

A write-up I read had said all three games in the Kilrathi Saga were remastered and retooled to run on more powerful Windows 95 machines.

Now, more than a decade later, I'm curious, would I be able to play it on my Windows XP based machine with a gig and a half processor?

I found it on Amazon for a truly ridiculous price. Of course, I'm more than willing to shell it out, IF I will be able to run it.

Other than that, I guess my option would be to find an old machine that was top of the line IN 1995, which seems like much more work than I'm willing to put into it.

Anyone know?

Some people don't have any problems, but Kilrathi saga can also be a very very big pain to get running. If you don't already have the games, It's a lot cheaper and easier to get the dos verions running in XP under dosbox. The CIC has a tech support page that will walk you through the process.

As far as the KS is concerned, beyond setting compatability modes there are a few tricks to try if it won't run, but there are also some people who simply can't get it to run properly.

Some people don't have any problems, but Kilrathi saga can also be a very very big pain to get running. If you don't already have the games, It's a lot cheaper and easier to get the dos verions running in XP under dosbox. The CIC has a tech support page that will walk you through the process.

This seems like a convenient time to ask, from someone who probably knows: Is there any kind of quality improvement with the Kilrathi Saga edition? I'm particularly curious about WC3 (comparing the original DOS CDs to the KS version).

I was able to run WC I and II on XP. Had to upgrade to Vista to get III working though.

This seems like a convenient time to ask, from someone who probably knows: Is there any kind of quality improvement with the Kilrathi Saga edition? I'm particularly curious about WC3 (comparing the original DOS CDs to the KS version).

Not overly. KS actually introduces a few bugs that aren't present in the originals (though it fixes a few others) THere's odd things like missing music in WC2 and what not.

That said, all the music is redone digitally like WC4 though I'll leave that up to you to decide if that's better than the original music. There may be some samples available in the cic's music section.

THere's some rudder pedal support added to WC3 but there really isn't any other significant differances. not enough to warrant the price difference. (and I personally like the original music better than the redone stuff, though that might not be true if they redid it today)

I don't recall ever having any trouble running KSaga on XP. Indeed, it works a little better than on Win95, because XP seems to somehow prevent DirectX 2 from installing itself (which it always did on Win95 - its automatic version-checking didn't really check if you had a newer version, but only if you had a different version).

I haven't had much luck running KS on XP. The colour inverts randomly on WC2 and occasionally crashes. WC3 crashes on some movies.

I set up a virtual machine with VMWare Server (which is free) and it plays the games flawlessly without slowdown, even WC3 plays perfectly. The only problem is I haven't managed to get a sound driver working in Windows 95 so there's no sound. But as a concept it works no matter which OS you're using.

Thanks, gang!

I found WC 2 with the Spec Ops mission packs for $2 at my local EB Games a few years ago and picked it up in hopes of being able to play it, but alas, I don't have the reflexes of the Flash.

And the announcement of Wing Commander Arena, the bastardized version of history's greatest gaming series EA is putting out on Xbox Live Arcade, I simply have to return to the roots of it all.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll try just using DosBox, since I can't find a new copy of KS for under $300 from a somewhat less than reputed seller on eBay. The individual DOS versions might be more manageable.

Setting the compatibilty level to Win 95 works for the first two. As for the third, hit control alt delete, look for KSSaga.exe and WC3w.exe in your processes tab and set the priority level to low, solved my problems.

Back