Kilrathi Saga Install

Marcml30

Spaceman
It's been a while since I last installed KS and I was thinking about loading it back up. However, I seem to recall that Origin received some flak about the KS installation routine automatically installing the latest version (whatever that was) of DirectX. Has anyone tried this recently and if it is true, is there anyway to disable this 'feature' in the install procedure?

Well, KS does install DX automatically, and I can't figure out a way to make it stop, but an over-the-top installation of Direct X nowadays doesn't seem to do much. It will probably work.

I'm going to install KS now. You've inspired me.

KS install

I just installed the Kilrathi Saga on a windows ME powered machine just a week ago and it works great. When Direct x installs itself, it checks for newer components and if it finds them it doesn't install that file. And then even if it does, you can always load direct x off of another game that you have. Ah, the memories.....

Oh god. I had a Realisys monitor and for some reason it wouldn't remember what shape I wanted the screen(every time the resalustion changed the screen would be shaped like an hourglass. Finnaly after adjusting it for the 200th time it remembered. Shortly after I decieded to install KS. It installed DX alright and asked to restart my computer. When I reboted the damn screen was f-cked up again!!! Took another month before the screen would remember again.

DON'T BUY REASLISYS!!!

Yeah.:)
Thank god I was able to sell it to my brother for $20. I bought it new and it was f-cked up even then. Store was going out of buisness when I bought it, thought I was getting a good deal.

Well I installed KS this weekend and sure enough it wrote over my existing DirectX 7 drivers with DirectX 2 as soon the autoplay kicked in - what were they thinking!?! Everything was okay after I put in a new game cd and reloaded the current drivers. Warning: I got a scare when I first put in Crimson Skies CD to update DirectX because it said that the drivers were up-to-date! I thought I was in for a round of Windows Driver Hell. The CD I got with Thief Platinum correctly detected that the installed version of DirectX was old.

Next question: Is there any way to get my FFB Sidewinder Joystick throttle and rudder pedals (twisting the joystick) to work with the WC1/2 games in KS?

Thanks - I thought about it after I posted and seemed to recall that there was a newer version. Maybe I'll try loading the Crimson Skies CD (w/ DirectX 8) again.

There is actually a DirectX8a now.. but it's only for Windows 2000.. fixes some joystick issues I believe.

Back