Kilrathi Saga DVD?

Rylex

Rear Admiral
Heya everybody,

I wanted to put all my Kilrathi Saga CDs on a single DVD. So far it worked fine and WC1, WC2 seem to work. I didn't have the time to test WC3 but I noticed that the files on the WC3 CDs are different while having the same name.
"WC3MUSIC.TRE" ... I remember this problem back in DOS time when WC always copied the music files from the new CDs.
So my question to the pros out there. Is there any possibility to create a KS DVD? Yeah I could create a DVD with a subdirectory for each CD but that's not how I want it. I would like the play the game from a single DVD with all WC1-3 versions on it. Well if the only problem is the different sound in WC3 I might live with that but it's not a perfect solution.

Any help is welcome!

Rylex

Thank you very very much!

I've read there are lots of problem with WC3 under Windows XP so I need to try that... the patch listed on the CIC download website - does it work under Windows XP as well? I am a bit confused here...

OK I got another question it does not work. Well not really!

It works for WC1 and WC2 and I implemented the patches. That did all work ok.
But WC3 does not work. The Origin Logo is shown. When I press ESC the game crashes.

I copied all the files you said and renamed all the music files. The DVD has the label WCKS1 (like the first KS-DVD. Perhaps this is the problem?)

My WC3.CON looks like this like you described:

CD1
=cd1movie.tre
=movies.tre
=cd1miss.tre
=objects.tre
=missions.tre
=cd1music.tre
=gameflow.tre
CD2
=cd2movie.tre
=movies.tre
=cd2miss.tre
=objects.tre
=missions.tre
=cd2music.tre
=gameflow.tre
CD3
=cd3movie.tre
=movies.tre
=cd3miss.tre
=objects.tre
=missions.tre
=cd3music.tre
=gameflow.tre
CD4
=cd4movie.tre
=movies.tre
=cd4miss.tre
=objects.tre
=missions.tre
=cd4music.tre
=gameflow.tre
NOMORECDS

But when I try the original second CD the Origin Logo is shown. I press ESC then and I see the intro movie. Another ESC and I'm in the main hangar. Well the CD works but the DVD with your description does not work. I'm confused please help!

Rylex

There's a number of issues that make running WC3 Kilrathi Saga a pain in XP. It's hard to say whether or not this is an issue with running the game itself or something specific to your hardware setup.

Did you get the game running on it's own off the CDs before you tried this?

Yeah it kind of sounds like the dreaded WC3 KSaga Movie bug to me. I tried misnaming the music.tre files just in case you made a mistake and couldn't create the error you specified. If it is the Movie bug you should check in the Stickys for a thread by Mincemeat that may help.

To answer your earlier question:
I sounds like your referring to NStriker's Windows 2000 patch. From what I understand it fixes a bit of dodgy code that Win2K gets upset about. WinXP and Vista are a bit more relaxed and ignore the bad code, so you probably wont see any effect when using it with those OSes. But it should be safe to install anyway and it may actually be necessary again with future versions of Windows.

Did you get the game running on it's own off the CDs before you tried this?

The game is running ok with original CD number 2. The Origin Logo is shown like mentioned above, the intro is shown and I see the hangar with the shuttle...

Mash I created a picture of the root of my burned DVD. The file sizes are mentioned there. Can you please check if it is ok like yours? Perhaps even compare the date? The WC3MUSIC.TRE is not an empty text file. I copied the original music from KSSAGA CD 2. Means CDMUSIC1.TRE and named it WC3MUDIC.TRE but that can't be the error, can it?
The WC3.CON configuration file is mentioned in my post above.

Do you see any errors on my DVD here?

Do I need to do a full install or basic install? I tried all but well.. did not work :(

http://www.rylex.de/pics/WCKS1.jpg

WCKS1.jpg

Yes I'am a perfect candidate.
And I need to mention that it seems to work!
EXCELLENT WORK!

I've tested all three types of installation:
0 MB, 9 MB, 41 MB...

All worked. I see the logo... I press ESC .... I see the intro... then I see the hangar bay. I talk to hobbes and go to the briefing room. Perfect...

I haven't tested this out any further but what I tested looks very good. Only some sound cracking issues during the game but I think that's not because of the patch. That might be the sound acceleration from Windows itsself perhaps ;)

Is this a final patch version or will you improve the patch? Well... is there anything to improve? :D

Let me guess... if I want to include the patch into my Kilrathi Saga DVD I only need to replace the original DLL file in the WC3 install directory? And then all should work?

Excellent work!!
If you plan to improve the patch then let me know. Then I will wait until I burn the perfect Kilrathi Saga DVD...

I'm glad to here it's working for you Rylex.

There are a couple things I might add in the future but I have to find them in the exe first, which may take some time. So I have no immediate plans to update the patch.

The original xanlib.dll is still needed so if you want the patch to be install from the dvd the contents of your WC3INST folder should look like this:

GLOBALS.IFF
MUSICED.CNT
MUSICED.EXE
MUSICED.HLP
MUSICTYP.IFF
WC3.CON
WC3.EXE
XANLIB.DLL - new from patch
XAN - folder containing original XANLIB.DLL

OK thank you very much!

I'll try to create a new DVD with your patch included.
Will you please inform me, when you update the patch?

Just write me a PM... :D

Thank you!

Rylex

BIG PROBLEM!!

I did it like you described but it does not work. The installer does NOT create the XAN directory. Only all other files are copied from the WC3 directory but not the XAN directory and not the included file.

Can you change the patch so that there is no new directory needed? Perhaps the installer only copies all files from this directory?

Thank you very much. I'm sorry I didn't have the time to test it during the last days so I tried today. I don'T know perhapt the WC 3 installation does not even copy all files from the folder included :(

I mean perhaps it only copies the files that are written down on a list? Or I did something wrong. So when we add a new file it might not work? Sorry I can't explain better :(

Back