Kilrathi Light Cruiser

psych

Destroyer of assclowns
This thread is being started to publically unveil the latest work of the WC Saga.

This next ship on the line is a Kilrathi warship that was cut from Wing Commander 3. I was able to find it in the “Making of WC3” CD-ROM that Origin released with its first official WC3 guide.

intelfralath.JPG

As mentioned in the artwork, this is a Kilrathi cruiser. But it’s very different from the notorious Fralthi II-class cruiser from WC3, so it’s assumed as a different ship class. The reasons we decided to classify this warship as a light cruiser is because not only does it fills in the gaps for a light cruiser (the Fralthi II is a heavy cruiser), the existance of a Kilrathi light cruiser is also confirmed through Page 49 of the Wing Commander 3 novel.

fralath2.jpg

fralath3.jpg

fralath4.jpg

fralath5.jpg

fralath6.jpg

fralath7.jpg

Approximate length is 500 meters and tonnage is around 17,000 tons. Fighter complement is eight fighters, a single squadron. This cruiser’s weaponry has to be balanced so that its less then the heavy cruiser (4 Anti-Matter Turret, 11 lasers) but more then the heavy destroyer (3 tachyon turret, 10 lasers). After much thought, we are making this cruiser’s weaponry to be 5 tachyon turrets and 10 laser turrets, as well as a cruise missile/torpedo launcher.

There is no official classname to this, and until one can be confirmed, ConFleet Intel has codenamed this the Fralath-class, as the name (like all the other Kilrathi cruiser names) is a derivative of the original term Fralthi.

Credits are as follows: concept art and blueprints by Origin Systems, modeling by Lars (it’s a long story), and textures by Starman.

Team Note: This warship shouldn't be underestimated just because it's a light cruiser. Its main battery (five of those happy corvette rear turrets that we all know and love) will rip you to shreds if you are not careful. It's easy to evade the Anti-Matter bolts from the Kilrathi heavy cruiser, but considerably harder to evade the tachyons on this guy. You have been warned.

Give my credits to Lars. he did a fine job on it.Textures are regular Starman high quality.

Hey! You guys shouldn't spoil all the never seen before stuff. When we play WC Saga it would be cool if we would get a moment of: Wow did they actually managed to do that? :cool:

Keep up the good work! ;)

Great ship! interesting geometry... The problem will be taking a sightseeing flight around it while being shot by the Tachyons.

The Fly said:
Hey! You guys shouldn't spoil all the never seen before stuff.

Problem with this is, if we showed it as a surprise in the game, then people are going to post flames of us being fanboys (as you said, the stuff is never before seen), how we just pulled the ship out of our ass, and we have to make a counter post explain what we did and why we did it, and all of that junk. Then people won't believe us, and still post more stuff, and we get all pissed off, and post back.

Showing it before hand absolves us from having to do any of that stuff, and saves our time as well as the communitys.

Edfilho said:
Great ship! interesting geometry... The problem will be taking a sightseeing flight around it while being shot by the Tachyons.

truly spoken :D

I flew a torpedo run on a Kilrathi fleet today ;) thanks god, that Longbows have thick shields (and quite good regeneration ratio too) :D

EDIT: as for the question why we are releasing our latest achievements. It is simple: IF you know that the game will feature new newer seen before... I am sure you will look forward to play this game ;)

as for the question why we are releasing our latest achievements. It is simple: IF you know that the game will feature new newer seen before... I am sure you will look forward to play this game

Considering that Fan projects have exactly US$0.00 for their advertising budget, and that these foruns are usually the only way to make their efforts public, I'd say (as an ad man myself) that they should show us as much cool things as they can!

AFAIK, projects like UE, Standoff and Saga are already worthy for the pretty pics =) If we even get a NEW game to boot....

Good job you all.

I am quite happy that everyone like it...was quite worried, cause the pic is quite small to work with and I had some problems with the geometrie...I call it a Loki design (after the God of madness).

Thanks to Starman for his fine texturejob it lookes even better ^_^

Interesting. Just a small curiosity, have you considered 2 tachyons and 2 anti-matters? :) I mean, Kilrathi don't mix this kind of weapons?

Delance said:
Interesting. Just a small curiosity, have you considered 2 tachyons and 2 anti-matters? :) I mean, Kilrathi don't mix this kind of weapons?

I actually thought about that in the beginning, but that would make it a simply smaller and lighter version of the Fralthi II. I wanted this cruiser to stand out, to have its own shine in the spotlight. So we gave it the weapons that we did, it's virtually the yin to the Fralthi II's yang. While the furball heavy cruiser's main battery was primarily to take on capital ships, this guy's main weapons were more geared towards anti-aircraft missions.

Back