Kilrathi interior designer needed

Would you be willing to take on somebody with an M.A. in Journalism for your editor/proofreader?

I can actually do both if necessary; WCRPG has me checking various sources quite frequently for the facts. Might dovetail nicely with what you're doing.

Main hall concepts......nothing of my own, though there was a nice pic at CIC a few months ago from the aborted Privateer 3 project that might be useful to you. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

@capi3101:
Yeah, why not. :)
I just hope your own project doesn't slow down because you help me with mine that much, I'm sure the RPGers are waiting impatiently for you to give them something to play with.
Btw: Being a D&D player and game master myself I'm really looking forward to your set of rules. :)

@all
...and I think I'll go the safe way, and ask for at least one other canon-expert here to help. Doesn't hurt if that one is good in English as well of course.
I sent my characters list to LOAF last week but he didn't respond so I guess he is busy, so if there is another wingnut here who could also help with the canon-check, please just post here or sent me a PM. :)

Sorry, sorry, I put it aside to look through more carefully and then forgot about it :) I'll try and get it this afternoon.

No hurry, I'm quite busy myself at the moment. One of my wingmen in mission 3 keeps ignoring my orders for unknown reasons so I don't have time to continue with the story parts until tomorrow anyway. :)

@capi3101:
Yeah, why not. :)
I just hope your own project doesn't slow down because you help me with mine that much, I'm sure the RPGers are waiting impatiently for you to give them something to play with.
Btw: Being a D&D player and game master myself I'm really looking forward to your set of rules. :)

Alright, lemme know when you've got something for me to look at and how we want to handle it.

As far as work on WCRPG goes, it won't slow me down that much to work on more than one project at a time. Helps me to keep from getting too bored with those parts that take a long time (like the vehicle catalog and pretty much everything else that's left to do). Aside from the current lack of capital ships in the game, I'd class it as "playable" right now. Not finished by any means of course, but for the vast majority of players, the critical bits (character creation, Terran and Kilrathi species profiles, travel rules, combat rules, fighters from most of the games at this point) are there. Free RPG Day is about a month off; I'd considered putting together a set of "lite" rules for WCRPG to have available as a download then. Of course, that might detract from work on the whole thing. And then again, I could use the help with playtesting. I'm building the game at Wikia if you want to check out my progress so far - http://wcrpg.wikia.com

That Main Hall shot I was thinking about earlier is this one: https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/cworkman_priv3_GT_TAVRN.jpg
Not really a great hall, per se...so a big "never mind" there. Does make me wonder if the artist forgot about the fact that Kilrathi have tails, or if they thought those flimsy chairs would hold up a Cat, or if it's a former Kilrathi installation of some kind. I'll never know, probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a great hall, per se...so a big "never mind" there. Does make me wonder if the artist forgot about the fact that Kilrathi have tails, or if they thought those flimsy chairs would hold up a Cat, or if it's a former Kilrathi installation of some kind. I'll never know, probably.

That was intended to be the bar on G'Tok IV. The chairs would have been for the various fixers.

(There's some confusion since it's also used as the example artwork in the set book for Drakas' Command Center... but that was just art they clipped there to give the set designer an idea.)

Here is some short info on my mod's progress:
Mission 5 was nearing completion when my video card died yesterday. Currently I'm using my phone to post. So I'm on hold with the missions until I get a new video card.
I will reactivate my old PC tomorrow to continue with the story and other stuff at least.
This is also a a good time to bring up the topic of the main hall again: I still need some concepts for that so I can implement it in time.
on the voice acting front there is no further progress yet, but this is also on my list for the next days. I'll post something about it in the other thread soon.
I will also rework some of the interface screens soon, and do Kilrathi medals and squad logos, I just have to install my new 2D programs as soon as my PC works again.
Stay tuned!

Why not use the movie approach, a room filled with green smoke?
That Privateer3 tavern shouldn't take very long to remodel, if that's what you want.

To be honest I don't like the movie style Kilrathi environment that much, IMO it wouldn't fit to my WC3-Style mod. I'd prefer something that looks more like what we see in WC3 and maybe WC2. The Priv3 tavern just doesn't look Kilrathi. It looks like a totally normal Terran bar with a Kilrathi logo on the wall. If I would like to do that I'd take the main hall from Saga, get rid of the humans in it and change the colors to brown and red hues.

Actually the Saga main hall does look quite good the way it is structured. I wouldn't mind if the Kilrathi main hall would have the same basic structure. But I want to do something that looks really... different. Alien. Whatever. I just lack the skill to build it in blender, it has been years since I worked with it. Green smoke is a no-go though. I can only animate small parts of the main hall if any. The thing you see is actually a render with some small animations seemlessly baked onto it where the moving parts are.

...But that gives me an idea: I will post a screenshot from the Saga main hall soon and draw some things on top of it, to show a rough concept where a Kilrathi main hall might look different and how.

The green smoke was more of a joke. You might give Google Sketchup a try, it's primary use is for architecture anyways, and it should work well with the angular Kilrathi WC3 designs.
And i think that Priv3 bar looks very Kilrathi with the slanted walls, it wasn't the interior decoration i was referring to but the shape of the room.

Ok I have procrastinated too long about this. Have done a few sketches, will throw them up in the next couple of days... I will say this - there will be nothing like the glass/metal structure above.

The best example of Kilrathi interior design we have seen is the big chamber in the WC3 intro - and thats what I'm using for inspiration. Just on a much smaller scale.

I did volunteer to do this - about time I actually followed through, huh?

Yeah, the problem with the movie sets is that you don't really get to see them. They cut out much of the kilrathi ship interiors. That said, the kilrathi ships weren't green. They lit all the sets with green lights though. Some of the smoke was added after too IIRC to help obscure the akward movements of the Kilrathi. Some scenes had smoke because of the aftermath of the various battles but I don't think there was actually much real fog in most of the scenes to start with.

The movie sets and kilrathi were actually gold and amber. with some interesting details and designs.
Danms3.jpg

Mpic1.jpg

Danms39.jpg

Marineblair4.jpg

The movie material is full of great stuff; people need to get past what they think of the finished cut of the film and start looking at its component parts instead... which are full of great bits of Wing Commander design and information directly from the same people who did the games.

I love the Sivar shrine from the concom, do we have a picture of that?

@Wojo & capi3101:
I don't want to rush you, I know that everything you do for the mod is a bonus, and I'm grateful for that.
At the moment I'm writing on chapter two

...and I'm contemplating whether I should include WC1+WC2 ships (Deathsnake's, but I'd do HUDs for them and so on, also including "old versions" of weapons that aren't that strong) in case somebody wants to do a Kilrathi campaign in an earlier timeframe. I might include that in version two though, once the first part of my Kilrathi mod is released.

Not a problem, the ship limit is big enough for at least a dozen additional fighters IIRC. You just can't use modular tables to include them but have to put them directly into the ships.tbl. The limit there is pretty high compared to the prologue build for example AFAIK.
Also I don't plan to include everything, just some especially iconic fighters.

I could also include an easy tutorial so the mods that need certain ships and don't need others can include the ones they like to have easily, so even if I hit the limit it isn't much of a problem as long as I don't want to use all of them in a single campaign. :)

I love the Sivar shrine from the concom, do we have a picture of that?

There's a few but they aren't particularly that good... So I also added a couple from the workprint though they're not that good a quality either. Not that you can tell in that screenshot, but the kilrathi on the left in the last image is kneeling at it.
Wingc10.jpg

Danms31.jpg

Sivar.png
Sivar2.png

Back