Kilrathi insults

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hiya!

First let me also congratulate the UE team for this very fine mod even though I'm terribly late to do so. But I think praise is always taken. ;)

I especially like that you get to fly a Gratha, wonderful.

There's a question about the insults the Kilrathi hurl at you: There are quite some I never heard in Prophecy yet the voice seems to be exactly the same as the Kilrathi have in WCP. Was I only extremely unlucky never to hear those particular phrases, did you find a cache of unused phrases in some files or have you just been that good in imitating the voices?

Thanks and again: great job!

The Kilrathi are all from WCP. Keep in mind, many Kilrathi pilots in WCP never flew against the player, so you would have only heard the comms playing in the background during the fighting against the bugs (which is why some of them don't quite make sense in the UE context - "You are not welcome, invader"? :p). I'm pretty sure all of these pilots did appear in WCP at one point or another, though.

We can assume that all Kilrathi insults that doesn't make sense are due to poor english skills.

BTW, why do Kilrathi insult the bugs in english anyway?

Hey Quarto,

You happen to know how many voice actors did all of those Kat taunts? Cause I was looking at some extracted wavs of the five Kilrathi Aces (Fireclaw, Deathstroke, Bloodmist, Deathfang, and Stalker), and they are all made by either John Rhys-Davis or Tim Curry.

I have no idea, Psych, although it's quite possible that they were all done by one actor. You'd have to check WCP - it might have them listed in the end credits.

Quarto said:

The Kilrathi are all from WCP. Keep in mind, many Kilrathi pilots in WCP never flew against the player, so you would have only heard the comms playing in the background during the fighting against the bugs (which is why some of them don't quite make sense in the UE context - "You are not welcome, invader"? :p). I'm pretty sure all of these pilots did appear in WCP at one point or another, though.

Wow, then I was just unlucky. And that even though I spent hours in the Midway simulator just listening to the Kilrathi taunt me...:)

Thanks for the info.

Delance said:
BTW, why do Kilrathi insult the bugs in English anyway?
A lame but plausible attempt at an explanation: It could be that Confed's experience with the Kilrathi allows them to have real-time translation on communications (after all, the language check Finley ran on one of the early Nephilim encounters was quite quick - between two nav points, IIRC).

BTW, welcome back, Mekt. :)

Yes it seems that confed computers can translate them. Or maybe Casey and Blair do know to speak Kilrathi and the game emulates that by playing the Kilrathi in english.

Wedge009 said:

BTW, welcome back, Mekt. :)

Thanks. Though might be a bit early to welcome me back - I do have to refire my WC flame first. :)
But I might be popping in from time to time.

Meh, I've only just started posting a bit more regularly as well. The fact that you still have the 'special' picture probably means you haven't been here for quite some time - several months, IIRC...

I think he's posted a few times in the last couple months... because I keep wondering why he hasn't changed the picture. :)

Yep, I posted in the thread about Dralthi5 Fanfic ("Justified Cause"), it's part of refiring the WC flame. :)

About the avatar: Well, I can't really decide what to take and since I wasn't posting too much I thought it wasn't too important to bother at the moment. Though I saw a Terminator 3 pic that I like, maybe. Or the Kilrathi/Sivar symbol of course. The WC2 emperor would be cool too. You see, I can't decide!

And plus - since I really really like the Simpsons, having Ralph isn't too bad for me, he reminds of some quite funny episodes. I even accidentally removed him once (I thought I might be getting the regular rank back) and then I quickly restored him. But as I said, I'll be popping in and out.

Well, I'm off to the Technical Support forum, having a problem with my WC:KS and I think I only have posted once.

Delance said:
Yes it seems that confed computers can translate them. Or maybe Casey and Blair do know to speak Kilrathi and the game emulates that by playing the Kilrathi in english.

Either of those is plausible given how much interaction there has been between Confed and the Kilrathi over the previous 50 years. In WWII, large numbers of American officers were trained to speak Japanese, and WC is meant to be a parallel to WWII...

We know from Freedom Flight that Confed does indeed have real-time english/kilrathi translation technology. Thorn and Halcyon wore translators on their belts when they spoke with Ralgha, just after the surrender of his cruiser.

It probably would be an unusual hobby among pilots. Kilrathi is not a skill the average pilot needs, and we're looking at learning a comepletely alien language based on a mindset that is quite frankly not human. It's most likely somewhat harder to pick up than Japanese, but it's also quite possible that it might not be.

As for the computers, Finch's database check probably took so much time because the word was archaic and, to make things harder, religios. How many people would know what the word Adversary means (the capitalization is deliberate, here) and what the modern equivalent is, who or what this refers to? The meaning is not at all obscure, although the background of the word may be, depending on one's interest in linguistic/religious trivia.

Back