Kilrathi Capital Ships

What do you want the Kilrathi capital ship textures to look like?

• WC1 style (Lots of white, brown, and a little gold-ish yellow/orange)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • WC2 style (White, gold-ish yellow/orange, red)

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Privateer style (Light brown/tan, white, and a little red)

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • WC3 style (Light brown/tan and a little red)

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • WCP style (Copper-ish orange and red)

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
personally, i say get rid of the shark mouth. that works with the corvette, but not a carrier. still looks good though

I didn't think the Kilrathi went for the whole shark mouth thing, even if the Kamekh had one.

Also, I think the texturing looks a bit too chequered.

Is that supposed to be a hangar at the back? It looks incredibly huge, given the size of the ship. Wait, no, the perspective made me interpret it wrong. It's an okay size, but those windows at the back don't look right there.

I like the mouth. Without it, the ship's underbelly is rather boring. But I sure hope those recycled hangar textures are just placeholders :p.

A shark mouth on a Kilrathi ship? What the. I thought that form of decoration was only on human ships.

Originally posted by Eder
One last round of feedback, everyone... how's this for a Kilrathi ship?
Well, I don't like the textures. They are too "tiled", and too dirty compared to WC2 ships. Maybe you should just make them cleaner a bit.

I like the shark mouth. The Kilrathi markings on the top of the ship could use a bit more space, there's a big empty spot there.

Originally posted by Cam
A shark mouth on a Kilrathi ship? What the. I thought that form of decoration was only on human ships.

The WC2-style Kamekh Corvette had a shark mouth (or... some kind of mouth).

Hm...I think the textures are "too much" for it.I didnt like them.... :( I dont know , I prefer it as it is in SWC and Armada.

P.S. HEy! its the first time LOAF posts here,I thought he never looked at the UE or Standoff`s forums :D

Thats too bad :( He must play Unknown Enemy....its such a good mod for SO.I think if he will play it he will get hooked with it !

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
Well, I don't like the textures. They are too "tiled", and too dirty compared to WC2 ships. Maybe you should just make them cleaner a bit.
Originally posted by Wedge009
I think the texturing looks a bit too chequered.
True, they look like they have too much contrast, which is weird... they *should* have as much as the Confed textures. It's either a color thing, or I just messed up somewhere along the way. I have to fix that so the textures fit in with the Confed ones.

...those windows at the back don't look right there.
I agree. I'll probably have to swap them for a Snakeir-exclusive texture. (This is the only thing I feel that I really have to change).

Originally posted by Quarto
I like the mouth. Without it, the ship's underbelly is rather boring.
Exactly. I bet that if I removed the shark mouth, some people would show up telling me to put something there because it's too empty. God damned Murphy's law. ;) Anyway, the mouth stays... I don't see why the Snakeir can't have something we've already seen on the Kamekh, and it also does a good job of filling space that I wouldn't know what else to fill with.

Originally posted by Quarto
But I sure hope those recycled hangar textures are just placeholders.
I just stole them from the Beaufort textures. :D I don't really see anything wrong with them, but either way, they shouldn't be hard to change in the future, since like Confed ships, all Kilrathi ships will probably share the same hangar textures.

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
The Kilrathi markings on the top of the ship could use a bit more space, there's a big empty spot there.
Well, there's gotta be an empty spot *somewhere* ;) Seriously, though - look at the Confed ships... they also make extensive use of "generic" textures. I really don't see much of a point in making half a dozen unique textures for each Kilrathi ship, since the Confed ships look good enough with only three or four unique textures each.

Also, when you look at the WC2 ships, you notice that the ones with markings on the nose (Kamekh, Ralatha) have nothing on top, while the Fralthra has markings on top and nothing on the nose. I mean, it doesn't look like the Kilrathi really wanted to fill all the empty space on their ships with markings, so that's not what I had in mind either.

All in all, I really think this is an almost perfect Standoff version of what a WC2 version of a Snakeir would have looked like. :p I'll try to adjust the textures' contrast, and fix the quickly-slapped-together look of the windows on the back of the ship, but that's about it. This is probably the standard that's going to be used for all future Kilrathi capships, though I can't be 100% sure until I try this same style on at least one other ship.

Most people won't have as many complaints about this style once they get used to the idea that I'm not making any radical changes to it anymore. :p

--Eder

Looks good.

Are these the same generic textures used on your Kilrathi super carrier model(dang, forgot its name)?
The contrast of the gen texures is a bit too high but I alwayas had the impression that things in the Vision engine look more 'grey' (i.e. less contrast) than in the 3d editors. Have you already imported to the game and seeen it there?

Originally posted by Lynx
The contrast of the gen texures is a bit too high but I alwayas had the impression that things in the Vision engine look more 'grey' (i.e. less contrast) than in the 3d editors. Have you already imported to the game and seeen it there?
You've got a point there. Would be nice to see it from in-game before we judge the textures.

Hmmm, good point Lynx... that might be the problem. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the Confed ships also look like they have more contrast when I view them in the same 3D program I've taken the Snakeir screenshots on.

As for the Hakaga textures... they are not the same as the Snakeir textures (though they eventually will be, of course)... the Snakeir textures are what I've come up with after the feedback on the Hakaga's textures.

After I've done more ships, I might need to adjust them once again (if any ship ends up looking weird with the current textures)... but right now they work nicely for both the Snakeir and the Hakaga, IMO (it's just that I'm not gonna show every single texture update on the Hakaga ;)).

--Eder

By comparing with the screenshots found in the ship database section your textures seem to have much higher contrast (I guess it's been said before). You might want to consider toning down the panel textures a bit... like a lot... :)

Originally posted by Eder
Exactly. I bet that if I removed the shark mouth, some people would show up telling me to put something there because it's too empty.
It's not a matter of whether it will be boring or not - I just don't think it looks right on a Kilrathi ship. Surely you could put some other Kilrathi designs down there, but if that's what you want, I can't stop you.

Perhaps you could try making the mouth look a bit different? Given that a shark is a Terran water creature, and Kilrah wasn't exactly overflowing with water...

Anyway, overall it still looks pretty good.

Well, we say shark, but it could be any alien animal's mouth, ya ? And how can you say it doesn't look right on a kilrathi ship ? WC2 Kilrathi capship were the all time most beautifull Kilrathi ships, and they had all kind of crazy paintings... including the "mouth" witch was on two capships.

Yeah, I mean, we can speculate on the mouth all we want, but the only thing we know for a fact is that the WC2 Kamekh had it. No matter if they were meant to represent some alien animal or to copy the mouths Kilrathi have perhaps seen on human ships: for some reason, they were there.

Besides, I'm only putting them on the Kamekh and Snakeir (since the Snakeir/Shiraak is really just a Privateer Kamekh without wings) so it's not like there's going to be a boatload of sharks flying around all the time :D

BTW, I've tested the Snakeir in-game, and the textures don't look so bad there. They still need to be toned down, though.

--Eder

It's not a matter of whether it will be boring or not - I just don't think it looks right on a Kilrathi ship.

But the people who made WC2 didn't agree with that assessment, since they indeed put a shark mouth on a Kilrathi ship. So that boat has sailed.

There's no argument about it looking like something the Kilrathi would use, because, well, they already did. :)

Back