Kickin'! They used our ideas!!!

Saturnyne said:
I happen to love the classics! It's just that I need speed, handling and distance, none of which the Scimitar in WC1 has.

It goes 350 kps
Mass Drivers don't travel very far at all
Thick armor and shields don't do much if you turn like a pig stuck in a toilet.

It's odd how I whine about that stuff about handling and speed, when I like flying the Devastator and Shrike bombers in WCP. I guess because they're more well armored, and can handle distances in their guns. :p

In addition to the corrections noted by Quarto in regards to the Scim's speed/handling, mass drivers have some of the best refire/damage/energy ratios of any guns in any of the games.

Yeah, the Dev's plasma can kick alien a**, but if you miss, it's 2.5 seconds before you can fire again, and by then they're probably on your "six," especially at the higher difficulty levels, where they show a glimmer of a clue. Those turret lasers aren't much of a deterent, even if they are roughly double the strength of normal lasers.

With the MDs, though, if your aim isn't 100% accurate it's not something that's likely to contribute to your death (or no more so than inaccuracy in general, anyhow), and you'll still be able to pump out a lot of damage before your capacitor runs dry. (Note also that the non-SO Shrike can do a lot more harm with its mass drivers than its particle cannon.)

As for closeness, how often do you engage at maximum ranges? Personally, the technicians hated me. My fighter was always needing repainting from where it was scraped off from getting too close.

(For the record, I liked the Raptor better than the Rapier, for the specific reason that the Raptor's loadout caused more damage per second than the Rapier's. I didn't find the further range of the lasers/particle cannon very useful, even where it would theoretically be better, like when engaging Hhriss in the Secret Missions add-ons to WC1.)

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturnyne said:
I happen to love the classics! It's just that I need speed, handling and distance, none of which the Scimitar in WC1 has.

Well, in all honesty, none of the WC 1 ships were really great, Confed having been thrust into an intergalactic war, and everything. It wasn't until WC 3 that they really made stuff go.
smile.gif
Ohhh... Arrow...

It's odd how I whine about that stuff about handling and speed, when I like flying the Devastator and Shrike bombers in WCP. I guess because they're more well armored, and can handle distances in their guns. :p

Well... If you've got a FAST ship with good armour, you're less likely to die than when in an hulk of metal designed to be a suit of armour. Personally, I'll take a Wasp, Vampire, or (ugh!) Piranha over a Dev. or a Shrike... Although I do admit that the Shrike's Charging Mass Cannons do one h*ll of a lot of damage when they hit.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

That's funny, isn't it? Even though the neutron gun has a terrible recharge rate, the guns on a Raptor still fire in sync with the mass drivers' refire rate. (= dead kitty capship!)

Anagram said:
Well, in all honesty, none of the WC 1 ships were really great, Confed having been thrust into an intergalactic war, and everything. It wasn't until WC 3 that they really made stuff go.
smile.gif
Ohhh... Arrow...
Wha? What about the Ferret, or the Broadsword, or the MorningStar? Those are some great fighters. Plus the 'Sword is my favorite bomber ever.
smile.gif

I liked the Broadsword too cos of its rock solid defences, but pity about its rock solid speed, and no afterburners! How the heck are we supposed to dodge the flak on our way out after a torpedo run?

You don't really have to worry about Flak as long as you have some rear armor left. And the weapons on that ship are so powerfull, that after a sucesfull torp run there won't by anything to shot Flak at you.

I was under the impression that all torpedoes had the same strength, most capships needed at least two runs - the wingmen are never up to the task. Actually, I remember one time when I got vaped by my wingman's torpedo! Excellent AI for you.

*L* Yeah, your wingman seemed especially vicious towards you in the WC2 game series... everytime I was chasing down a Kilrathi ship, my wingman, in his zeal to destroy, would aim at the ship, but shoot me. And then he'd keep firing so I'd have to give up my pursuit. More than half the time, the reason I failed a mission (Died) was because of my wingman.

And then they get all over you for shooting and accidentally hitting them!!!

Oh, and I hate how the Kilrathi ram into you all the time.
smile.gif
But that's okay, because I tend to fly straight in, guns blazing. I need a new flying style...

------------------

§

My favorites from the first games were the Crossbow, the Morningstar, the Rapier.

The Broadsword really didn't combine with my flying style. No afterburners.

The Scimitar was an ok fighter. But it was a little underpowered. But then again, this may be a case of personal taste.

The Shrike and the Dev for me are simply pigs in molasses. I really don't like this slow-bomber archetype. They could've at least put a little more speed in the Dev, and make it's afterburner last a little longer.

Och, enough ranting for now!
tongue.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our neck before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..." - Kahlil Gibran

Member of the LMG(Centaurian)

***Originally posted by klaus:
The Broadsword really didn't combine with my flying style. No afterburners.***

Crosbow doesn't have any burners either.
smile.gif
And it's guns ain't as good as the ones on the 'sword.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited September 06, 2000).]

Tell me about it - only three shots at full salvo before your capacitors run out... of course it'd make short work of even the heaviest fighters, but you'd have to be careful how you aim.

Exactly. That's why I never use the full guns on the 'bow. So while I have the same guns I lack the protection of two additional turrets.

The lack of cockpit view also annoyed me - I've only got the original DOS version - those two giant prong things that stick out on both sides, they block your view so badly. And they look like... better not say.

Yeah, there's a real lack of view in that ship. But that's what your radar is for.
smile.gif

------------------

§

Saturnyne said:
Yeah, there's a real lack of view in that ship. But that's what your radar is for.
smile.gif

Radar, though, doesn't help for the fine tuning of aim required for a gun hit. Given the general scarcity of missiles (and lack of effectiveness) in the earlier games, you can't afford to not use guns.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Hmm, I actually kinda liked the Crossbow's gun setup. Admittedly, the lack of turrets was problematic, but if you learned to only fire when you're sure of your shot, you could kill much faster.

And personally, I thought the Crossbow looked really neat (certainly better than the Morningstar). Why, I still remember the first time I saw its frost-white canopy...

The Sabre was pretty good, I just found the armour on it disappeared very quickly on a torp run. OK, who needs defences as long as you've got speed to burn, right?

Oh, I chose the Crossbow because of the design, not because of the specs or guns.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our neck before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..." - Kahlil Gibran

Member of the LMG(Centaurian)

Back